Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Just a small point, CDS was the second multichannel 5.1 format but the first DIGITAL multichannel format. The first multichannel delivery format was Dolby six track format number 43. CDS is a little different than Dolby Digital and Dts in that it used 6 full range channels (the LFE was a full range channel) used 16bit 44.1khz sample rate on uncompressed PCM signals.

There were only 10 70mm prints ever released, and those were relegated to Road show houses in Los Angeles and New York.
    First time I saw T2 was in 70mm at the now-defunct Cinedome in Orange. Quite an experience seeing it on that deeply curved Cinerama screen!

One of those 70mm prints also wound up at the Galaxy Theatre in San Francisco. Both of their THX auditoriums showed T2 during the first run, one had a 70mm mag print, while the other had the 35mm CDS setup. I opted for the 70mm screening.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Oh I see, so now you have gone to the length of not just disagreeing with me about every petty thing that you can think of, but now you are trying to make the claim that I am some other person....that's pretty pathetic. I have been around the AR site for quite some time, but never crossed over to the actual forum part until more recently. I originally only posted in the photo gallery.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me - mini-me more laughs than the original.

Ace Ventura When Nature Calls - epic scale compared to Pet Detective. Nacho Libre tips it's hat to the opening scene of this classic.

(What was the criteria again?)

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me - mini-me more laughs than the original.

Ace Ventura When Nature Calls - epic scale compared to Pet Detective. Nacho Libre tips it's hat to the opening scene of this classic.

(What was the criteria again?)
    Deano,
    Tell me that you DIDN'T go see Nacho Libre!!!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    First time I saw T2 was in 70mm at the now-defunct Cinedome in Orange. Quite an experience seeing it on that deeply curved Cinerama screen!

One of those 70mm prints also wound up at the Galaxy Theatre in San Francisco. Both of their THX auditoriums showed T2 during the first run, one had a 70mm mag print, while the other had the 35mm CDS setup. I opted for the 70mm screening.
    I saw T2 at the Cinerama Dome in CDS 70mm. I was completely blown away as the Cinerama Dome had the only full range surrounds I have ever heard. Bass was coming from everywhere, and it was clean as a whistle. The next day after seeing it I made an appointment with the theater manger for a tour of the dome. I just had to see what was behind the screen and what type of surrounds they used.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Your thin-skinned defensiveness whenever someone disagrees with your "without a doubt" opinions (among other things) has gotten awfully reminiscent of our two-time banned wannabe "professional" DVD reviewer Lexmark3200. Is it just coincidental that you joined the site and started flooding it with threads the exact same month that he got banned?
    I don't think it's Lexie. First, there are no CAP LETTERS. Second, his posts are not long enough. Third, Lexie liked me. This guy's first and only reply to me was that he hoped I would vanish and never post here again. (or something to that effect)

So although I do see the similarities, I don't think that they are the same guy.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Third, Lexie liked me. This guy's first and only reply to me was that he hoped I would vanish and never post here again. (or something to that effect)

No he didn't tell you that!!! Nobody picks on G
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

What was the context in which I said that to you Gmichael? If you are going to bring it up it might be important to get the exact text exchange. I don't remember the incident.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Deano,
    Tell me that you DIDN'T go see Nacho Libre!!!
    I was backed into a corner. One of my sons and his friends wanted to go to a hardcore concert and I didn't feel comfortable with any of them going to see a band called KillWhitneyDead that uses bloody images of mangled bodies to promote its music and shows (getting a myspace account was the best thing I ever did for keeping up with what's going on with the kids) so I had to come up with something. It turned out to be fun.

And believe it or not I did actually see The Spy Who Shagged Me (got the theater's movie poster because it was the last night) and When Nature Calls and thought they were better than their first installments. (At least the Barney and Power Rangers days are long gone!)

Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    What was the context in which I said that to you Gmichael? If you are going to bring it up it might be important to get the exact text exchange. I don't remember the incident.
    Here ya go. It's not word for word. But the feeling was the same. Post 15

Oh, so you think you're high end?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Oh I see, so now you have gone to the length of not just disagreeing with me about every petty thing that you can think of, but now you are trying to make the claim that I am some other person....that's pretty pathetic. I have been around the AR site for quite some time, but never crossed over to the actual forum part until more recently. I originally only posted in the photo gallery.
    Nope, not claiming anything. Just noting some similarities in temperment and the "coincidental" timing of your appearance on this board just as Lex got banned. Either way, you're filling the role that Lex formerly occupied on the board rather nicely.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I don't think it's Lexie. First, there are no CAP LETTERS. Second, his posts are not long enough. Third, Lexie liked me. This guy's first and only reply to me was that he hoped I would vanish and never post here again. (or something to that effect)

So although I do see the similarities, I don't think that they are the same guy.
    Well, if you look at this thread, they're starting to make their appearance. Maybe Lex cursed the board, and we've got a reincarnation in progress!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

I saw T2 at the Cinerama Dome in CDS 70mm. I was completely blown away as the Cinerama Dome had the only full range surrounds I have ever heard. Bass was coming from everywhere, and it was clean as a whistle. The next day after seeing it I made an appointment with the theater manger for a tour of the dome. I just had to see what was behind the screen and what type of surrounds they used.
    Interesting, because I'd never picked up on the range of the surrounds at the Dome's old sound setup (though I did notice how clean the bass was). I like watching movies there because they've always paid good attention to the presentation quality. But, until the recent renovation, I thought that the acoustics there were an issue. (Problem was worse at the Orange Cinedome, which had untreated wood domes for their two Cinerama auditoriums. I remember they used to roll out these giant EV horn speakers into the back of the theater for 70mm screenings)

I saw both Lawrence of Arabia and Apocalypse Now at the Dome, and those were absolutely spectacular on that Cinerama screen. Sometimes I think the Cinerama Dome would be better off as a repertory house, where they would put out a screening calendar and just roll classic films all the time.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Kam

I saw both Lawrence of Arabia and Apocalypse Now at the Dome, and those were absolutely spectacular on that Cinerama screen. Sometimes I think the Cinerama Dome would be better off as a repertory house, where they would put out a screening calendar and just roll classic films all the time.
    they did that here in nyc at the Ziegfield. they showed a TON of classics like 2001, ET, aliens, lawrence, zhivago, the indiana jones trilogy, and many others in that dead time from feb-april. sad thing was, the theater was pretty empty throughout. no one really came out to support the movies.
    /create

Someone has to keep the elitists in check.

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Of course, all of this is purely academic as everyone knows the greatest sequel of all time is Debbie Does Dallas 2.
    Your right that this is academic, but for the wrong reason (debbie 2). The greatest sequel is Army of Darkness. Why? Quotability. I probably quote Army of Darkness every other day. It has crept into my casual speech and thereby, my everyday life. T2 didn't do that.

Someone has to keep the elitists in check.
    For the record, I find your threads to be a lot of fun. Very creative.

Also,

T2: was a good movie. Great action. But T1 had more suspense for me. Every time you thought he was finally dead he got back up and kept coming. I'd have to rate them close to the same.

Same goes for Alien vs. Aliens. Both good movies. 2nd had more action. 1st had more suspense.

GF1 & GF2: Two was much better.
    RW vs. 2: ditto

ALIEN and ALIENS are almost like two radically different films. ALIEN is more of a Sci-Fi suspense film, while ALIENS goes for the more all-out Action w/ a bit of Horror to it. Then ALIENS3 turns more into a Horror/Suspense and ALIEN RESURRECTION goes for a more digital horror/action.

Forum Regular
    T2 is a great sequel. I have scene it on pre-recorded tape and dvd. I also have the original laderdisc and the THX pan and scan laserdisc. I orginally found the videotape to be visually hard on my eyes to watch. The original laserdisc pressing was considered one of the best video quality laserdiscs produced. It is great. The FM analog sound is excellent while the digital sound is very good but that depends on your laserdisc player. The THX versions audio sounds exagerated on the midrange. I had vertical bars rolling on the THX version. The THX versions color had better correction than the original version. Grass had a bluish cast in the original version while being perfectly green in the THX version.

In the elevator scene in the mental hospital, there were many more nuances to the sound on the dvd as compared to the laserdiscs. I did not like the ex sound on the dvd.

Since I am a sort of a B type picture buff of a sort, I thought that FLASH GORDON'S TRIP TO MARS was a great sequel to the orginal FLASH GORDON film. I do find some "flaws" in the 2nd film as it relates to the first, but they are not too major. The third edition FLASH GORDON CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE does not connect as well as it should to the first two films, but stands well enough on its own merit.

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE is certainly a sequel to DR NO. The character of Dr. No. is mentioned by Blofeld in FRWL. As far as a film goes, it is one class act and still looks great 44 years after I saw it. IMHO, one of the best films ever made.

I found the opinions made by the other AUDIOREVIEW members on this topic most interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    they did that here in nyc at the Ziegfield. they showed a TON of classics like 2001, ET, aliens, lawrence, zhivago, the indiana jones trilogy, and many others in that dead time from feb-april. sad thing was, the theater was pretty empty throughout. no one really came out to support the movies.
    From what I understand, the Ziegfeld is often closed for weeks at a time during the slow season when not a lot of big budget blockbusters are coming out. It's also not in an ideal location. Sad to think though that Manhattan can't consistently support its last single-screen showcase theater. At least it will always have a role for premieres and special screenings, since there are no other suitable locations left in Manhattan. The Mann Village theater in Westwood where I saw Superman Returns last night is where the world premiere was held a few weeks ago. Even though there were only about 50 people in that 1,400 seat theater, they stay open every day of the year and have a full slate of screenings during the day as well (studio execs have been known to drop by for weekday matinees to check on audience reaction).

I guess L.A.'s different because it's more of a "company town" and the Cinerama Dome is right in the thick of things in Hollywood. Right before the Dome closed for renovation and the addition of the 12-screen Arclight complex a few years ago, they had a monthlong festival where they rolled out a whole bunch of the old 70mm roadshow prints. Those played to packed houses night after night.

After about close to two years of renovation work, the Dome reopened with a festival of the old three-reel Cinerama features, since part of the Dome renovation included refitting the two extra projection rooms needed for Cinerama. Those too played to sold out houses.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Interesting, because I'd never picked up on the range of the surrounds at the Dome's old sound setup (though I did notice how clean the bass was). I like watching movies there because they've always paid good attention to the presentation quality. But, until the recent renovation, I thought that the acoustics there were an issue. (Problem was worse at the Orange Cinedome, which had untreated wood domes for their two Cinerama auditoriums. I remember they used to roll out these giant EV horn speakers into the back of the theater for 70mm screenings)

I think the Cinerama Dome's acoustical problems really depended on where you sat in the auditorium. The further back from the front of the auditorium you sat, the more prone your were to hearing nasty echos and comb filtering.

I saw several classic movies in the Cinerama process after the Dome renovations. How the West was Won, Seven Wonders of the World, This is Cinerama, South Sea Adventure, and The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. They looked and sounded great. And yes, every show I went to was packed

The Manns Village is also a very good theater though I found its sound system to be a bit heavy in the bass. One of the main things I notice about LA theaters is that they pay very close attention to the quality of their presentation. There just is no movie audience like you find in Los Angeles.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I think the Cinerama Dome's acoustical problems really depended on where you sat in the auditorium. The further back from the front of the auditorium you sat, the more prone your were to hearing nasty echos and comb filtering.

I saw several classic movies in the Cinerama process after the Dome renovations. How the West was Won, Seven Wonders of the World, This is Cinerama, South Sea Adventure, and The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. They looked and sounded great. And yes, every show I went to was packed

The Manns Village is also a very good theater though I found its sound system to be a bit heavy in the bass. One of the main things I notice about LA theaters is that they pay very close attention to the quality of their presentation. There just is no movie audience like you find in Los Angeles.
    Finally saw Cars (GREAT movie, which will probably see many repeat viewings) at the Arclight last night, and man you talk about attention to presentation quality! Last night was the first time I'd seen been to the multiplex auditoriums at the Arclight, and I must say this is the best multiplex theater I've ever been to.

It's not just the presentation quality, which was top notch (the surround imaging in particular sounds great, by far the best I've heard from a stadium seating auditorium), but how they take care of every other little detail. Reserved seating, double wide armrests, no advertising, extra legroom, no seats too close to the screen, outstanding customer service, bar service in the lobby, no late seating, live announcements telling patrons to shut off cellphones and to shut the hell up during the movie, a clean lobby design that doesn't look like it came out of a Vegas casino, and Hebrew National hot dogs at the concessions stands! Well worth the $11 price of admission for a movie experience that gets so many things right.

The Village theater is not nearly as bassy as before. That gigantic subwoofer enclosure that took up so much space at the front of the theater is now gone. Too bad, because I liked that pinned-to-the-seat sensation that the Village's old subwoofer array created! Even though the bass level was high when that sub array was in place, I never found it excessive because they never overexerted the subs. In a lot of other theaters, I will hear the subs clearly overworked and sometimes distorted, and way out of balance.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Bill L
    ALIEN and ALIENS are almost like two radically different films. ALIEN is more of a Sci-Fi suspense film, while ALIENS goes for the more all-out Action w/ a bit of Horror to it. Then ALIENS3 turns more into a Horror/Suspense and ALIEN RESURRECTION goes for a more digital horror/action.
    Have to agree with you about ALIENS, although ROAD WARRIOR is up there close. Just two of the best sequels around. Funny thing is that I saw both of those sequels before I watched the first ones.

Any thoughts on any movies that could make for a great sequel but there hasn't been one?

Bill L
    Would remakes count here?

the original THE THING, a black and white sci-fi classic, was great. The remake of THE THING with Curt Russel, was just full of top notched nastiness.

Same movie title, same general theme, but totally different script, detail, and circumstances. Seems to me the remake would qualify as a sequel and get real high marks.

Bill

How about the return of the return of the living dead. Two..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information