Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT Dual-500's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    If you were to run both, it would nominally work out to 2.67 ohms.

rw
    8 ohm and 4 ohm nominal connected in parallel should net 3.2 ohms nominal impedance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dual-500
    8 ohm and 4 ohm nominal connected in parallel should net 3.2 ohms nominal impedance.

Uh? (8 x4) / (8+4) = 32 /12 =2.66667
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Uh? (8 x4) / (8+4) = 32 /12 =2.66667
    You're right - don't ask me where I pulled 3.2 ohms from. No idea, but it sounded good at the time.

4 & 16 in parallel net 3.2.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    In any case the point is moot, as speaker are not resistors. Typical resistance looks more like this;
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Dual-500
    You're right - don't ask me where I pulled 3.2 ohms from. No idea, but it sounded good at the time.

4 & 16 in parallel net 3.2.
    No problem. That is as long as you don't work for the Treasury Dept. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    In any case the point is moot, as speaker are not resistors. Typical resistance looks more like this;
    One is not going to analyze every frequency, that's why we talk in nominal resistance. I'm sure the manufacturers take this into consideration when they spec the acceptable loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Yes indeed - why I always state Nominal Impedance.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    One is not going to analyze every frequency, that's why we talk in nominal resistance. I'm sure the manufacturers take this into consideration when they spec the acceptable loading.
    Actually not. It's really a chap shoot as to how a speaker is rated in resistance. Besides considering the resistance at frequency, phase angle can seriously effect the load an amplifier sees.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    I have a Rotel RX 1050, Yamaha CR 2040, and a Sansui AU 919. The Sansui is superior to the Rotel. And the Rotel is superior to the Yamaha.
    I must admit I am not a big fan of vintage receivers. But you would have a tough time beating many of the big Sansui Integrateds form the late 70's, early 80's.
    I also had the Sansui 9090. Did not like it at all. The sonics on something like the AU 919 VS the 9090 differ greatly.
    And many $500 units new today, or less then 5 years ago are really average at best. Most modern stuff in this price range is just not worth it. But to beat something like the 919 you have to spend close to a thousand, or more in a modern amp. An AU 20000 just sold for around $1100 on Ebay. 170 WPC Beast that sounds great! It's not just about Watts. It's about how those Watts Sound.
    I picked up a Carver HR 895 recently and outside of some low volume intermittent static in one channel (I have cleaned the switches with contact cleaner) it is also very impressive. Clean with tons of power.
    Anyway best of luck.
    Last edited by arrow 68; 01-29-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Emotiva, arrow 68. IMO, fairly good new gear, very reasonably priced and (I think) very good looking.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Emotiva, arrow 68. IMO, fairly good new gear, very reasonably priced and (I think) very good looking.
    Some yes. Some Eh. I am not trying to say everything that is modern is bad. But much of the $500 or less gear new is just not that great. Again, NEW. I am not referring to something modern that is selling on the secondary market. And I would not take any of those Amps on that list over any of Sansui's larger Integrateds. Also while some nice things are on that list, it looks like you were reaching a bit. Restrict the list to Power, Integrated, and Receivers. All made in the last decade that are exceptional (Really good) for under $500.
    And to be fair I am quite the thrifter. I never buy anything unless I get a deal. At my age I have found at least for me that I don't need to spend the money. And I do not have piles of equipment laying around. People that do this, and have all this excess equipment that is average at best don't know what they are doing. Buy great stuff to try, buy to sell, and you never have a dime in anything.
    BUY LOW, SELL HIGH, NO WHAT TO WALK AWAY FROM, AND WHAT TO RUN AWAY WITH! And yes, it is hard to find great stuff, but I have done it, and with the exception of a couple pieces, I have found everything one mile from where I live. I get criticized for this but the people being critical can't, or won't try it, and in many instances are impetuous. To the point of being defensive. How dare I suggest this almost like attitude. Pretty funny.
    Also what is you ROI? Very few pieces are kept indefinitely, although you always think you will keep something for ever. I bring something in, something usually goes.
    And one really has to think when they do buy something higher end it may very well reveal flaws more prevalently in other areas of the set up. So it's like searching for Nirvana and never finding it. Although many of us do.
    I wonder how much better that VPI Deck sounds then my Luxman, or Yamaha? Is it a big difference, or a small one? Some will say big. I have heard VPI's Scoutmaster. Nice Deck. But that much nicer? Eh.
    So if you have the dough................then let it fly I guess.
    Last edited by arrow 68; 01-29-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Suspended
    It's interesting how you really have to find out the character of a speaker by it's reputation, hopefully a dealer is knowledgeable and on the level, some speakers 90dB or more, Paradigm comes to mind, may need a great deal of current while Harbeth is 86dB and is easily driven by a good 40 watt tube amp. I was surprised a certain dealer drove Harbeth fine with that 40 watt tube amp but switched to a Naim integrated when playing a Totem. I believe Totem is lower impedance than Harbeth's 8 ohms though.

Suspended
    I had a Sansui Au9500 that amazed me at how well it sounded, and, how well it was built. I actually can't think of much else I've seen built with the same quality of knobs and switches.I knew a guy who worked at a thrift store and sold it to me for little of nothing. I didn't know what it was either but I sure got educated when I hooked it up. It was easily on par with Arcam and other $1k and under amps. I've also had some entry Sansui receivers that were not great, they had a nice warm presentation but easily out classed in detail by an entry Luxman.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I had a Sansui Au9500 that amazed me at how well it sounded, and, how well it was built. I actually can't think of much else I've seen built with the same quality of knobs and switches.I knew a guy who worked at a thrift store and sold it to me for little of nothing. I didn't know what it was either but I sure got educated when I hooked it up. It was easily on par with Arcam and other $1k and under amps. I've also had some entry Sansui receivers that were not great, they had a nice warm presentation but easily out classed in detail by an entry Luxman.
    As impressed as I am with my little AU-505 I can only imagine how good that 9500 must sound. Sansui is another one of those companies whose former self does not represent what they are today.

Ditto for my AU6700. I just can't bear to part with it. It will be part of an all analogue vintage office system when I can find an appropriate speaker to mate with it.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Ditto for my AU6700. I just can't bear to part with it. It will be part of an all analogue vintage office system when I can find an appropriate speaker to mate with it.
    LDB

Just stop by the museum and I will hook you up with a pair of vintage speakers. So many to choose from and I am sure my wife would be more than glad to help if it means a pair of speakers is leaving the house........

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    LDB

Just stop by the museum and I will hook you up with a pair of vintage speakers. So many to choose from and I am sure my wife would be more than glad to help if it means a pair of speakers is leaving the house........
    Thanks for the offer Kid. Since I live in the neighborhood anyway, why not. LOL

(I'm on the wet coast of Canuckland)

Actually, there a pair of Cornwalls for sale in the local classifieds that I may check out. A bit large for my space tho.

Suspended
    I'd love to have the space for some Cornwalls. I think you'd be very happy with the Forte if you found any and they take up a bit less space.

I passed the 9500 on to a friend who would really never be able to afford that type of quality for himself but really loves music.

Forum Regular

Talking

I'd love to have the space for some Cornwalls. I think you'd be very happy with the Forte if you found any and they take up a bit less space.

I passed the 9500 on to a friend who would really never be able to afford that type of quality for himself but really loves music.
    Can I be your friend?

I really like Musical Fidelity Gear. Expensive, but not unrealistic, and reliable. But is the A300 Integrated that much better then 9500, or the 919 that I have? Since it costs twice as much it better be.
    If I had to choose between wanting something like the AU 20000, and A300 I would have to go for the A300. Or for a little extra the A 308. You can get the 300 for about $1000, and the A 308 (Great Amp) for just under $1400. The AU 20000 is still an amazing AMP.
    Seems like I have to many happy faces. Duh.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information