vintage receiver not working...any help?

i have 1070s Lloyd's brand receiver that my dad left me....it's not worth much, but sentimental value is huge.

all bulbs are working and the tuner seems to lock onto stations, BUT when i plug (RCA style) a speaker there is loud white noise and the volume doesn't work, unless you turn it up all the way....if you crank the volume i can hear the FM station along with the white noise. This is true for all inputs....am,fm,fm auto,aux..etc.

any ideas on the problem? I opened it up and used a can of compressed air, but that didn't help...all speaker solders looked good.

thanks for any help,
    greg

I don't know how old it is, but most vintage receivers can benefit from having all the caps replaced. A good technician can do this, and check other things too - solder joints, dc offset, tuner alignment etc. While it isn't cheap, if the piece is valuable (sentimental or monetary), I recommend it. I've had several vintage receivers done. I can recommend a good tech in Tennessee that I and others have used (PM me if interested).

JD
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

JDaniel

tried to send a PM, but it said your space is full and you need to clean out some space.

anyway,
    will you forward the information in Tenn. Also, what price can i expect?...or an estimate based on your experience.

I assume I can ship to this place?

thanks for your time,
    Greg

you can send me a PM
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 01-12-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Lloyds !?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    i have 1070s Lloyd's brand receiver that my dad left me....it's not worth much, but sentimental value is huge.

all bulbs are working and the tuner seems to lock onto stations, BUT when i plug (RCA style) a speaker there is loud white noise and the volume doesn't work, unless you turn it up all the way....if you crank the volume i can hear the FM station along with the white noise. This is true for all inputs....am,fm,fm auto,aux..etc.

any ideas on the problem? I opened it up and used a can of compressed air, but that didn't help...all speaker solders looked good.

thanks for any help,
    greg
    Lloyd's stuff was considered crap by audiophiles back in the day -- but of course sentimental value is another matter.

Check out the recommended technician in your area, but I suggest doing only what's necessary to fix the specific problems. Don't bother replacing the caps unless they're the problem: the Lloyds sound isn't worth it.

Thread Information