AR Newbie Registered Member

Kenwood KR-9400 - which speakers?

I have just acquired a Kenwood KR-9400 which is in mint condition, but now I need some good speakers to go with it. This receiver is 120 watts per channel, minimum RMS at 8 ohms, and accepts speaker impedance of 4 to 16 ohms. Any recommendations of which speakers would work best with it? Thanks.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Welcome to AR!
    Congratulations on a very nice vintage receiver.
    I have a very similar Kenwwod Eleven III that I have used to power a variety of speakers.

It really is up to you what speakers you wanted match with your KR-9400. If you want to vintage there is a variety of speakers you can use such as Large Advents, Dynaco A-25's or early KLH to name a few.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Going Nowhere too Fast Charlie04SiR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshc
    I have just acquired a Kenwood KR-9400 which is in mint condition, but now I need some good speakers to go with it. This receiver is 120 watts per channel, minimum RMS at 8 ohms, and accepts speaker impedance of 4 to 16 ohms. Any recommendations of which speakers would work best with it? Thanks.
    The best pair of vintage speakers to pair up with the KR-9400, IMO, are Kenwood LS-407A's or LS-407B's. Those are a sonic match to the output of the 9400 and they will take your breath away with linearity, clarity, smooth highs, detailed mids, and superfluous, quick, tight bass. In other words, they are a perfect mate to the 9400 being that they are rated to the same 120 Watts power handling. But be careful in locating a pair of nice original LS-407's as they are not easy to find with the original drivers in them. Use my pair in my picture gallery for your search reference if you like
    If everybody had everything they wanted, the world would be a pretty boring place :)

AR Newbie Registered Member

Have Kenwood LS-407Bs

I have a pair of Kenwood LS-407Bs if you're still looking for something to go with your receiver. I'm in Vermont.

Suspended
    In something new take a look at www.zuaudio.com I haven't heard them yet but have a pair on order.

Infinity RS series sounded pretty good with Kenwood as well.

Keeping with vintage you might also consider better Klipsch like Forte, most anything in the Heritage or new Reference series.

Thread Information