AR Newbie Registered Member

Marantz 2238B vs Pioneer SX-850

hi,
    thanks for getting me addicted to these old receivers. i have many fond memories of partying alongside these units back in the day. i bought my 2238B on ebay for $80. it looks great in all silver with blue lights! it sounds amazing. smooth and rich, blows my denon A/V 100watt X 7 receiver out of the room(its banned to movies/tv only). so... i saw a pioneer sx-850 on ebay, like new cond., original owner, $100, sold! i havent received it yet but wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how these compare or thoughts on the pioneer. thanks again

Great score, I'm into the vintage vibe, and that brings back memories. I used a pioneer
    qx 9900 quad (70wx4) and was industructable. Pair with some vintage monitors, and
    have fun.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelik22
    hi,
    thanks for getting me addicted to these old receivers. i have many fond memories of partying alongside these units back in the day. i bought my 2238B on ebay for $80. it looks great in all silver with blue lights! it sounds amazing. smooth and rich, blows my denon A/V 100watt X 7 receiver out of the room(its banned to movies/tv only). so... i saw a pioneer sx-850 on ebay, like new cond., original owner, $100, sold! i havent received it yet but wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how these compare or thoughts on the pioneer. thanks again
    I think the Pioneer would have a bit more power, they were also a slightly more forward in the treble than the laid-back Marantz. It would all depend on what speakers your matching them with.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

AR Newbie Registered Member

Receivers

Hello,

I am partial to the Pioneer. The 850 was I believe 80 or 85 watts per channel. I always get the power ratings confused with the 80 series. The Marantz you spoke of should be 38 watts per channel based on the model number. Marantz used 2200 as a base and added watts per channeI to decide the model number. A 2285 would then be 85/channel and a 2385 would be 185/ channel all the way to the 2500 which was 300/channel but is very rare. I like Marantz but the Pioneer will have more of a classic look between these two IMHO. I prefer the larger units as I have an SX-980, SX-1250 and an SX-1980 (The flagship). The 50 series was a cleaner look than the multi colored lights of the 80 series but the 1280 and 1980 are something special anyways. The 80 series had power meters which the 50 series did not.

Now, that being said, power is not everything. I have a 28 watt per channel Vintage Onkyo which I like paired with a pair of Smaller Advent speakers for a theater set-up in my bedroom. It is no 5.1 but sounds nice for that setting and seems to have plenty of oomph paired with the 4 ohm Advents. My SX-980 is paired with some B&O Beovox 150 tower speakers. My SX-1250 is paired with some outstanding JBL L-100 Century Studio Monitors and a set of Wharfedale Monitors and just plain rocks! My SX-1980 is paired up with Advent Maestros and has more than enough power at 270/channel.

You won't be disappointed with either one but I suspect you will gravitate towards the Pioneer assuming it is working to spec.

Randy

Hey! I too just bought a Marantz

Quote Originally Posted by kelik22
    hi,
    thanks for getting me addicted to these old receivers. i have many fond memories of partying alongside these units back in the day. ...

Mine is a Marantz 2252B which I got on Audiogon for $160. Not quite the steal you got on the 2238B, but not bad considering 2250's have recently gone for $250-265 on eBay. For valuations see ...I love the look of these old units if not necessarily the sound. The 2252B is vintage 1977-78. Yes, I was into audio back in those days; at the time I was listening to a Sony FET amp, Dynaco tuner, and Ohm F speakers -- as I recall, it was a long time ago. No, I never did own a Marantz or any other receiver.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marantz 2238B vs Pioneer SX-850-marantz2252b.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by likeitloud
    Great score, I'm into the vintage vibe, and that brings back memories. I used a pioneer
    qx 9900 quad (70wx4) and was industructable. Pair with some vintage monitors, and
    have fun.
    Not meaning to pick nits, but I believe the QX-9900 was rated 38w x 4 into 8 ohms, and 50w x 4 into 4 ohms. But I could be wrong.

Jeff
    Last edited by Blue Meanie; 08-15-2006 at 07:57 PM.

Thread Information