Forum Regular

Red face Stupid hookup question

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, so forgive me if it is not. I have a Yanaha DSP-A1 and want to hook up an old MCS 3235 to use as a radio as the Yami does not have a tuner. I am not finding an "out" on the MCS 3235, so does this mean that it cannot be done? Or, if so, how? I need help on this one. Thanks everyone.

A simple interconnect could be the answer to all your problems.

I'm hoping the receiver has a pair of plugs on the back marked "tape out". If so, these would be what you want to use to connect to the Yammie's inputs. Actually, whatever source you select on the Yammie will be fed to the Yammie's inputs so you esssentially have a fancy switchbox with a built in tuner.

You'll have to use the volume control on the Yammie for these inputs, including the tuner. No other controls on the receiver will have any effect on the signal.

Forum Regular
    Markw,
    Yes, the receiver does have a pair of "tape out" plugs. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!! I just couldnt figure this thing out. I do appreciate your help!
    I know this receiver is a VERY old one, however, it should do OK for a radio and nothing else. That is until I upgrade to a HD radio.....

Well, you might as well maximize what that receiver can do.

You can feed ALL of it's inputs to your speaker system. Plug in a CD player, phono, Ipod device and perhaps a tape deck. Ya got 'em. Ya might as well use 'em

Forum Regular

Lightbulb Thanks Again

Just wanted to let you know that your advice worked like a charm! Of course you probably know that, but this was so simple that I couldnt figure it out. It's actually nice to have a radio again. My $15.00 Goodwill purchase was well worth it. Now, if I could only find the manual.
    Appreciate the help!
    Last edited by crhoover; 02-14-2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: ad more info

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

The only thing...

...I'd add to markw's advice...don't hook anything up to "phono" (if you have one so labeled) unless it hapens to be a phono...

jimHJJ(...that's a no-no...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...I'd add to markw's advice...don't hook anything up to "phono" (if you have one so labeled) unless it hapens to be a phono...

jimHJJ(...that's a no-no...)
    Just curious..............why?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Because of the RIAA EQ -- records have an equalization on them that needs to be compensated for upon playback, so it'll sound completely wrong. The phono input has that compensation built into it.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

That, plus...

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Because of the RIAA EQ -- records have an equalization on them that needs to be compensated for upon playback, so it'll sound completely wrong. The phono input has that compensation built into it.
    It has an additional amplifer stage built in for weak signals, which a phono cartridge puts out. It's looking for signal strength of about .005% of the signal strength other components put out and feeding a high level signal into this input will produce a nasty, distorted sound. You won't like it..

Thread Information