Wheatland69

Unhappy Sansui Turntable

Not sure if you would classify my old Sansui turntable, as antique, but I know that I have had it quite some time. I still like to listen to my old LP;s every once in a while, and when I went to lift the cover, the other nite, it woudn't stay in the up position. I took the cover off from the back and noticed that the hinges were cracked, where the spring is. My model number is FR-D25. Can anyone suggest a place to find replacement hinges?

Bill L
    Very unlikely that you will find replacement hinges for a turntable that old on the retail level. Yard sale/ flea market would increase your chances slightly, but you'd end up with the rest of the turntable probably (at least you'd have spare parts for sure).

Unfortunately, only sure way to fix problem is to buy new hinges that are attached to a new cover, which would be attached to a new turntable.

Records sound better with lids off ( cover will pickup external vibration onto playback) so as long as you can keep the cover on when you are not using it I wouldnt worry about it.
    To replace old/rare parts would cost you alot more than buying a used comparable TT. Have you checked the condition of your cartridge? You may be damaging your sentimental records with your wornout stylus. Try Grado Black ($40) P-mount or 1/2" if you use a headshell. Your TT may have been designed to only use ATS 12S cart only. If so, it'll ber best for your to get a headshell, so you can adjust the placement of a new cartridge. If you just blindly install a differnt cart, you'll be destroying your LPs and new cart, I bet you'll start listening to your records alot more with a Black.
    Whatever you decide to do, best wishes.

-JRA

Wheatland69
    Yep, you are right about the ATS 12S. Thanks for the input. I guess that I can always look at flea markets, or swap shops. I would like to post pics,but haven't figured out how to with just a url..

Thread Information