AR Newbie Registered Member

Ampex 800 Manual?

I suspect the belts on my Ampex 800 need to be replaced. Where can I find a manual for this machine? Or is there someone who has done this procedure and could walk me through it?

Forum Regular
    I have bought from this guy before.very reputable....he is
    http://www.stereomanuals.com
    He has manuals for virtually any piece of equipment you can think of..Good luck

Curmudgeon
    The owner's manual won't help. You will need the Service Manual; also there were some addenda to it, on how to make a hard job a little easier. Changing the belts on the dual capstan Ampexes is difficult. Essentially, since the belts loop around the whole mechanism, you have to literally SPLIT the chassis apart to get them out. The addenda mostly concerned shortcutting part of the process by prying apart and disassembling the autostop solenoid which runs right through the middle of the machine.

You are in for a long, hard job. At some point you may despair over ever getting it back together. Also, while you are in there, replace ALL the rubber. You do NOT want to go back in there again.

KGJ
    TO STDEREK. Are you still in need of belts and instructions for your Ampex 800? I've had one for 35 years and have changed the belts a dozen times. I can tell you what to do if still in need.

KGJ, I have a 1965 AMPEX 800 series R2R that needs the belts replaced. The AMPEX has sat for many years and the belts dissolved into goo. They are so far gone I can't tell the proper routing for them. I have had the machine apart a couple of times so that is not really an issue. I would love any advice you can offer on how to remove the goo and how to replace the belts (specifically the routing of them) so I can see if the old girl has any life left in her.

Thread Information