AR Newbie Registered Member

Marantz 2226b Stereo receiver

I have a chance to buy this receiver for $20 plus $30 shipping. It is in very good cosmetically condition. A couple of bulbs are out and one of the channels don't work. Is it worth buy and getting repaired or should I go for something else? I will be using it with a pair of JBL Apollos.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Go for something else. Repairs aren't cheap.

Chicago IL
    It is not worth it! You can find the receiver for $150 to $200 in mint condition!

It isn't worth to pay $50 and than pay to fix it!

You make the decision!

Thanks for the help. I'll keep looking for a Marantz receiver. Is there one that is the all time best?

Quote Originally Posted by 2string1
    Thanks for the help. I'll keep looking for a Marantz receiver. Is there one that is the all time best?
    You might get opinions all over the place on that one. I have a 2325 and have owned other Marantz receivers and integrated amps. I sold off all but the 2325. The 2275 has a good reputation. My favorites for sound quality only were my lower-power models, like the 1090 integrated. I remember the 1090 having a very warm sound, which might not appeal to you. For power, features and looks, the 2325 is the one. For a consensus happy medium, 2275 is probably the one.

I have a chance to buy this receiver for $20 plus $30 shipping. It is in very good cosmetically condition. A couple of bulbs are out and one of the channels don't work. Is it worth buy and getting repaired or should I go for something else? I will be using it with a pair of JBL Apollos.
    It's a decent little receiver. If it worked, it would be a decent deal but since it needs repairs, unless you can do it yourself I'd say pass.

Getting it fixed can cost a pretty penny, particularly it you want it done right. The tech I use starts at $75 for the first hour, but that includes an alignment. But, when I get it back it's at least as good as new, generally better.

Chicago IL
    2string1 just look on ebay or craigslist and you will find great deals!

Yes I've been looking on ebay. I just have to figure out which one to look for.

Chicago IL
    Yes I've been looking on ebay. I just have to figure out which one to look for.

The higher number the better!

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    The higher number the better!
    The higher number represents more power, but some people find they like certain models with lower power.

Chicago IL
    2225, 2230, 2235 and 2245 are the most common ones you can see and more affordable!

Thread Information