Forum Regular

Sansui 4000- new to vintage gear

Hello!

I just picked up a Sansui 4000 and a Sansui RA-500 Reverb amp at a local Salvation Army.
    Since I am new to vintage gear(and this forum), I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on these units, and if there are any recommended modifications for the Sansui 4000(replace the capacitors?)
    I am using a Nakamichi CD changer, and KLH Rave 12 speakers(3-ways with 12" woofers.)

Thanks a lot!

Ray Paul

Aging Smartass
    I owned a Sansui 4000 when I was in the service (1968-1971) and thought it was terrific. Unlike most of the competing units from Pioneer and Kenwood (then known as "Trio"), the Sansui was the only unit that used a full wave bridge rectifier in its power supply, and had viscous-damped volume and balance controls to provide that luxurious feel. It was rated at 45 watts per channel (a real 45 watts) and was a steady, reliable workhorse. It was also one of the very first to have a linear tuning scale, and a "blackout" scale as well.

Sorry, but I can't give any recommendations as to values of capacitors and their replacements.

When I returned home, I also returned to my employer (Lafayette Radio) and was astonished at how much better the 4000 sounded over my LR-1500TA, which, at least according to Consumer Reports, was supposed to be just as good. The Lafayette unit lasted me for years, and I sold hundreds of them, but the Sansui 4000 was a superior product, with a retail price tag at the time of $369.95, and worth every penny.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the reply!

It's nice to know I have a quality product to enjoy.

You should check out www.audiokarma.org it's a site that specializes in vintage gear.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the link!

Ray Paul

2 channel lover
    nice piece u got there but the reverb amp ra 500 trash it. i have one it makes ur music all echo like its gross just a piece that should have never been made sry to tell u
    I BELONG TO A REAL AUDIO
    FORUM

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the advice regarding the ra 500- it actually comes as a relief. It is an interesting curiosity, but you are right- it compromises the sound...RP

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I have a Sansui AU5900 integrated amp. It probably came along a little later in the 70s, not sure. But it has an impressive heaphone section. You might want to pick up some quality cans for late night listening.

2 channel lover
    do what i did wit the reverb amp put it very far in the back of ur closet its part of the vintage history yes but unless like tryin to kill a bull for veal not gonna happen lol
    I BELONG TO A REAL AUDIO
    FORUM

AR Newbie Registered Member

Sansui 4000

I see your post is very old but my Thrift Store Sansui 4000 amp just rocks !!!! I cannot understand why a amp I bought 10 years ago for $4.99 still is so great, I collect records so it has been in use so much, I will never trade it, it is working as I write this in fact.
    KEEP IT !!!!

Thread Information