AR,PL,Devotee' Registered Member

Phase Linear and Acoustic Research

Any one out there using Phase Linear amps and pre-amp to power their Acoustic Research speakers. I'm referring to vintage equipment circa 1970 to 1978. I use these same brands and I'm very happy with the results. In fact I' ve been doing so since 1972. In my opinion there's nothing like it. Sure if I had 'mega-bucks' I might run out and buy $40 grand worth of hi-end stuff, but that is a dream that I can't hold to be real. So as a throw back to the past I wallow in a world of vintage bliss. All replies are welcome.
    Respectfully, frankmarsi@verizon.net

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Imho...

Quote Originally Posted by frankmarsi
    Any one out there using Phase Linear amps and pre-amp to power their Acoustic Research speakers. I'm referring to vintage equipment circa 1970 to 1978. I use these same brands and I'm very happy with the results. In fact I' ve been doing so since 1972. In my opinion there's nothing like it. Sure if I had 'mega-bucks' I might run out and buy $40 grand worth of hi-end stuff, but that is a dream that I can't hold to be real. So as a throw back to the past I wallow in a world of vintage bliss. All replies are welcome.
    ...most new stuff doesn't hold a candle to vintage gear...particularly from a feature/connectivity standpoint...and the performance AND construction is first-rate.

jimHJJ(...none of this plastic HT cr@pola...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...most new stuff doesn't hold a candle to vintage gear...particularly from a feature/connectivity standpoint...and the performance AND construction is first-rate.

jimHJJ(...none of this plastic HT cr@pola...)

I think I would agree. I disassembled my multi channel system and eventually sold most of its components on eBay. I've many times replaced my vintage equipment and end up putting it back in place.

Currently running a set of early 80s equipment. Nothing in the big retailers even comes close to the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by frankmarsi
    All you have to do is look at my equipment list to know that I'm in your camp. The MK-3's are from the early 70's, the Haffler stuff from the late 70's, the Accuphase is early 80's, the VPI and Acoustats are middle 80's and so is the Adcom. My tonearm is middle 90's and my cartridges are current. Those diamonds and their suspensions do wear out.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    When I sold audio in the early 80's we used Phase Linear to power the AR 9's. The sound as memory serves was incredible. We used to love to show the Bose rep what true bass was all about. The AR 9's would flutter our pant legs during low bass passages and the Bose 901's well they did not. If all is working well just enjoy what you have.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information