AR Newbie Registered Member

How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record?

I recently purchased a Garrard 440M record changer turntable. I want to play stacks of 33 1/3 and 45 rpm records. I have the long spindle and a 45 automatic adaptor, so I can stack either kind of record. Here's my problem. No matter which way I turn the adjustment screw at the base of the tone arm, I end up with either the needle falling too far in (missing the beginning of the first track) on the lp's or too far out (missing the outer edge) of the 45's. No happy medium. I owned a previous Garrard 440M and never had this problem. Is there a way to fix this? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

Curmudgeon
    That adjustment on a typical Garrard overarm record changer relies upon free movement between the tonearm and its mounting plate. The two pivot around and the adjustment screw sets their relative position; plus there's a spring that "biases" the two parts so that the adjustment screw actually will be "pushing" against its adjustment point.

If the whole assembly is frozen due to rust, damage or dried out grease, there will be no adjustment.

I checked and the assembly does not appear to be stuck at all. Actually, I have received much advice but no magic bullet yet. Unfortunately, no amount of turning the adjustment screw either way brings any relief. It's obvious to me that something else is wrong but no one has been able to put their finger on it. You're welcome to try. Thanks.

Curmudgeon
    Is the discrepancy "just a little bit"; or way off, more than an inch from where it is supposed to be?

Also, can you SEE the other end of the adjusting screw and what it is bearing against?

Curmudgeon
    Here is a troubleshooting chart for this problem, unabashedly downloaded from another site. Maybe it's one that you have already...you may have posted to that other site also, or may have found it there previously..

Curmudgeon
    Here is the exploded diagram for this Garrard chassis:

Those are my posts. Anyway, the problem is finally solved. I sprayed some WD-40 and pushed and prodded some levers in the turntable support bracket assembly and pickup bracket assembly and after much fine adjustment of the pickup lowering adjustment screw, the tone arm finally falls where it's supposed to on both 33 1/3 and 45 rpm records. Thanks for all your help.

Thread Information