Forum Regular

Pioneer Speakers

Good Morning to all-
    If anyone has been reviewing this section, you may have seen a couple posts from me regarding some old Mac (all tube) gear I inherited. Someone whose opinion I trust stated that I would be remiss if I didn't look into vintage Pioneer speakers as a match for this system. Does anyone have any experience with CS-88a's or the HPM series (60 or 100)? Does anyone know the difference btwn CS-88's and the 88a's? Thanks for your time.
    -Soli

Forum Regular
    Hi Soli,

Try the "reviews" section of audioreview.com. If I am correct, I believe they have many reviews of people who bought the HPM-100s. Many are very favorable including mine on this speaker system. You also may find information on the other Pioneer speakers you are looking for.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I've had the CS-88A and CS-99A. Very fine sounding, very efficient speakers that would mate well with Mc tube gear. The HPM series (there were two series) are excellent speakers. From the second series, I have the HPM-900 and they sound great. Good efficiency, too, and would also mate well with tube gear.
    I drive my HPM-900 with the 200 wpc of the Denon POA-2200 amp controlled by the Luxman C-383 preamp. But I like big solid state amps.
    About the CS-88 and CS-88A. Really nothing in common. The CS-88 is from the end of the 60s, just into the 70s, and is a ported-box speaker system. The CS-88A is a sealed box "infinite baffle" speaker system. Very efficient for a closed-box speaker system. Bass does roll-off below about 50 Hz, but still puts out energy into the 20's down about 10dB (sounds worse on paper than it sounds). I would look for the HPM or the CS-99A. Another model to consider would be the horn system Pioneer CS-R700, a 12-inch, 3-way speaker system with horn mid and treble drivers.

Thread Information