Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Forum Regular Registered Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    14

    Pioneer PL518 Table, Yamaha R-1000 Receiver

    Going to put a strictly audio system back together, trying to use what I have in storage.

    The PL518 table would still have whatever cartridge and stylus came with it when I bought it 20 - 25 years ago. How can you tell if it needs replaced (cartridge and/or stylus)? Also, since there are no shops within 100 miles, I'm guessing, it looks like any replacement and setup would be on me; for no talent or skills, is this more than I want to tackle? Looks like the cartridge is held by 2 screws thru the shell, but those screws are in slots so where the cartridge mounts along those slots must be an issue? Also, anti-skating and tracking seem to be terms I remember from the past?

    The receiver has a multiple selection phono cartrige switch for either mm or mc, what would the PL518 have come with? And if I have to replace, is there upgrades available, or is it all just subjective?

    Also, I'm certain my LP's are dusty, filthy messes. They've been stored vertically on end in tight cardboard boxes, so I think warpage won't be a factor. Anyone use a cleaning machine? Seen the Nitty Gritty and VIP(??) pieces but they're as much as my table and receiver put together; assume they're superior to a spray/brush like the old discwasher D4?

    Thanks for any help my way.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,220
    Quote Originally Posted by traphouse
    Going to put a strictly audio system back together, trying to use what I have in storage.

    The PL518 table would still have whatever cartridge and stylus came with it when I bought it 20 - 25 years ago. How can you tell if it needs replaced (cartridge and/or stylus)? Also, since there are no shops within 100 miles, I'm guessing, it looks like any replacement and setup would be on me; for no talent or skills, is this more than I want to tackle? Looks like the cartridge is held by 2 screws thru the shell, but those screws are in slots so where the cartridge mounts along those slots must be an issue? Also, anti-skating and tracking seem to be terms I remember from the past?

    The receiver has a multiple selection phono cartrige switch for either mm or mc, what would the PL518 have come with? And if I have to replace, is there upgrades available, or is it all just subjective?

    Also, I'm certain my LP's are dusty, filthy messes. They've been stored vertically on end in tight cardboard boxes, so I think warpage won't be a factor. Anyone use a cleaning machine? Seen the Nitty Gritty and VIP(??) pieces but they're as much as my table and receiver put together; assume they're superior to a spray/brush like the old discwasher D4?

    Thanks for any help my way.

    Bringing a turntable back to life, sounds like fun. Your ttable uses a standard mount cartridge and there are many available. If you can give us an idea as to your budget one of us can give you a good idea where to start. Also there are several cartridge alignment guages you can download for free. I am not at home right now but I will add them to your thread. There are also good links about cartridge instalation information and I will add those tomorow. To set tracking force you balance the tonearm with cartridge installed by adjusting the counterweight until it floats above the record. Set the counterweight scale to zero without moving the conterweight. Once the scale reads zero then turn the entire counterweight to the recommended force. Anti skating set to the same value as tracking force. Several of us can help you through the process and I am sure you can do it.

    A cheap but good record cleaning system if available is the Allsop Orbitrac record cleaning system. You spray cleaner on the pad and use the handle to move the brush around the record. The Discwasher will remove surface dust fairly well but for ground in a dirt a record cleaning machine is best.

    Good luck.
    JohnMichael

    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, Ringmat Anniversary mat, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cone, Benz MC Gold, GSP Fanfare 3 w/PSU1

    Digital Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd, Marantz SA 8001

    Int. Amp Krell S-300i

    Speakers Focal 806V/Focal 800 stands

    Cables AQ Rocket 33's, Diamondback XLR's & IC's

  3. #3
    Forum Regular Registered Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    14
    JM:

    Thanks for the reply.

    I'm somewhat pliable regarding cost, but if the table is about $100 or so in value, would it make sense to spend more than that for a new cartridge with stylus?

    Which leads me back to my original post: how do I even know if it needs replaced? I'm thinking if I have kind of scratchy, poppy sounding LP's to start with, can I tell by "sound" or is it just a time issue that anything that old must need replaced? Is "life" measured by the calendar, LP's played/useage, or is it that some like to trade-up to seek better performance?

    I haven't dug the table and receiver out of storage yet so I haven't tried to play an LP to hear what comes out of the speakers (old Polk RTA-12's) but maybe tomorrow.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,220
    Quote Originally Posted by traphouse
    JM:

    Thanks for the reply.

    I'm somewhat pliable regarding cost, but if the table is about $100 or so in value, would it make sense to spend more than that for a new cartridge with stylus?

    Which leads me back to my original post: how do I even know if it needs replaced? I'm thinking if I have kind of scratchy, poppy sounding LP's to start with, can I tell by "sound" or is it just a time issue that anything that old must need replaced? Is "life" measured by the calendar, LP's played/useage, or is it that some like to trade-up to seek better performance?

    I haven't dug the table and receiver out of storage yet so I haven't tried to play an LP to hear what comes out of the speakers (old Polk RTA-12's) but maybe tomorrow.



    Chances are that the magnet has lost strength and the suspension has stiffened through the years. Not to mention the stylus may be worn. You can buy an AudioTechnica or Grado cartridge for about $50. A nice Shure or Ortofon 2M Red for $100. If the turntable is operating and turning at the correct speed I think your records and sound will benefit from a new modern cartridge.
    JohnMichael

    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, Ringmat Anniversary mat, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cone, Benz MC Gold, GSP Fanfare 3 w/PSU1

    Digital Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd, Marantz SA 8001

    Int. Amp Krell S-300i

    Speakers Focal 806V/Focal 800 stands

    Cables AQ Rocket 33's, Diamondback XLR's & IC's

  5. #5
    Forum Regular Registered Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    14
    Thanks, that answer makes sense to me.

    One last question, if I may, am I looking for a mm or mc cartridge, or does that table only work with one type? The receiver has a selector switch for both mm and mc.

    Would you have a preference as to Shure or Ortofon.

  6. #6
    Forum Regular Blue Meanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by traphouse
    Thanks, that answer makes sense to me.

    One last question, if I may, am I looking for a mm or mc cartridge, or does that table only work with one type? The receiver has a selector switch for both mm and mc.

    Would you have a preference as to Shure or Ortofon.
    You can use either a moving magnet or a moving coil cartridge on your turntable. And your receiver is also capable of allowing you to use either type. That being said, I'd stick with a mm cart for now. Decent mc carts are usually more costly than mm carts. Get an Audio Technica AT440MLa on Amazon for about $100, or maybe a Shure M97xE for about $65 on Amazon. JohnMichael's suggestions are excellent also.

    Nice speakers, by the way. And the PL-518 is a SOLID performer, considering what it sold for in it's day.
    Last edited by Blue Meanie; 08-01-2008 at 06:24 PM.
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

  7. #7
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1

    Old Pioneer LP player issue

    I purchased an old Pioneer LP player and when I plug the 2 RCA plugs into any normal stereo I have no sound or it is very quiet. Am I missing another old skool component e.g. Amp? Thanks in advance for your help.

  8. #8
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,946
    Quote Originally Posted by BRowe
    I purchased an old Pioneer LP player and when I plug the 2 RCA plugs into any normal stereo I have no sound or it is very quiet. Am I missing another old skool component e.g. Amp? Thanks in advance for your help.
    You are missing the phono stage. You need a separate preamp. See these:

    http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=PP

    http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Preamps

    http://www.garage-a-records.com/products.php?cat=112

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook