Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Finds

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    It has 12AX7 tubes and I just read the manual book and they don't mention anything for biasing. That is strange. I will check to find around a place where they do that and I will get the amplifier checked there! Thank you guys for the big big help! Soon I will be helping people like you are helping me know for the tube amps!
    As Peabody mentioned 12AX7 is a preamp tube, so fixed bias. Your output tubes should have bias pots. I am not an expert, perhaps your output are fixed as well. Either way take it to a pro. Another benefit of a pro is they will test your tubes for strength, and estimate how much life is left in them.

Chicago IL
    I have been listening to this amplifier and whole morning and I love it. I think the bias is fixed because I don't have anywhere a bias pots and I checked everywhere even online there is nothing. I will still go to a store. I am looking now and this afternoon I might go get the amplifier to the professional doctors to check it! I like how when I turn it off it keeps going for few seconds. Thanks everyone who helped me.

Regarding the power, now it is a lot powerful than before! I guess it had to work for a while to get going and again love the sound, I can't imagine how those mcintosh tube amps will sound. Maybe one day

Suspended
    No, Dak, the 12ax7's do not get biased, they are your preamp tubes. Only your EL84's will need biased.

FWIW, there is a Dynaco power amp ST-35 which is also 17 watts. Could be where the confusion came in. Oddly enough same power but a bit different circuitry from the SCA-35.

Chicago IL
    Ok here are 2 good news.

I went to a store where they fix guitar amplifiers and etc to check my tube amp. I left it there and I had to wait like an hour till they check whatever they have to check. I was walking around and I found a thrift store few streets down. I walked it and I found in mint condition Technics SA-5200A receiver. All lights work and there is not even a single scratch. For $7.00 and in that condition I couldn't pass it. I put it next to the SA-300 I have.

The second news is that the amplifier I have is in great condition and the tubes are like new the guy said. He said they were hardly used and he sees in them many years ahead. He said the amp bias is right and he hasn't done anything to the amplifier. He said free of charge but I gave him $10 for the favor.

Ok here is a picture of the new find for today!

Congrats! What a good day! You & the Kid must have the Midas Touch!

Chicago IL
    We have a lot of electronics home. I have few piles of receivers and amplifiers, I know thekid has a lot of stuff too. We like new vintage things like most of the people here but sometimes we overdo it! Rock n roll

We have a lot of electronics home. I have few piles of receivers and amplifiers, I know thekid has a lot of stuff too. We like new vintage things like most of the people here but sometimes we overdo it! Rock n roll
    No Way! Hey, all you need is a pathway to the bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom.
    I really enjoy (as wellas others I'm sure) the "finds", comments, and seeing all that neat stuff. Goes to show good audio doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg.

Chicago IL
    I enjoy it too, thats why I made this thread and I keep it updated.

Suspended
    Midas touch indeed, to get a Dynaco in mint condition...... It's like the perverbial only drove it on Sunday to church and occasionally to the store

Chicago IL
    I am like that, I see a good deal and I get it.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Right on dak!! Enjoy the amp!!

Chicago IL
    O yes, since the electric guy told me it is good to run, I feel good now and I enjoy the sound of it a lot. I wasn't much into the tube amplifier but now I am.
    Last edited by dakatabg; 07-20-2010 at 12:11 PM.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtolisten
    Congrats! What a good day! You & the Kid must have the Midas Touch!
    Need to work on my "touch" as I would love to score some tube gear like Daks just got. I don't even see it come on CL down in my area. Would love to hear what my Klipsch sound like on tubes.....

Chicago IL
    Since we were talking about piles of electronics i took some pictures of few of the stuff I have home:

As you can see I found another site that have the option of the picture size which is good, now they are smaller.

Last edited by dakatabg; 07-20-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Nice!! I especially like the 3rd and 4th pictures. I know I'm dating myself, but that's the stuff I used to go to the audio stores and drool over.

But I know your holding back on us! I'm sure you have more speakers to go with some of those amps. C'mon,Give!!

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Need to work on my "touch" as I would love to score some tube gear like Daks just got. I don't even see it come on CL down in my area. Would love to hear what my Klipsch sound like on tubes.....
    Man, you could not buy another thing and still be miles ahead of the rest of us!
    Once in a blue moon I'll see some tube gear here, but the price is high. I think a lot of people in this town have discovered vintage, or maybe there was none to start with. The Goodwill stores. garage, and especially estate sales have dried up.
    That deal Dak got is a once in a lifetime . Like the old guy who had a mint old car in his garage for years, and doesn't realize the full value.

Chicago IL
    Yeah there are more but I didn't feel like going to the storage : )

Yeah there are more but I didn't feel like going to the storage : )
    I understand, I have about 30 pair myself, but it's just too hot for that sort of thing right now. Maybe a good winter time thing to do.

So what are your plans for all that vintage gear?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Daks

Thanks for the pics!!
    I showed them to my wife and now she has promised not to givem grief about all my gear in the garage.......

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    So what are your plans for all that vintage gear?

Well the best stuff I keep for myself for my little collection plus i get everything on a super good deals so even if I decide to sell them one day I will get more than I have paid and with the time it is harder and harder to find good vintage pieces so the price will go up for sure. It is like a little investment ha ha

Ha ha thekid, I am glad I saved you some crying from the wife side.

Do you remember this picture from the last year I posted? I have the speakers in the storage but I have to check what I really have because some of the stuff I don't even remember.

Pioneer CS-R580 12" Woofers

Pioneer CS-G403 16" Woofers

Scott 315D 15" Woofers

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Daks

Thanks for the pics!!
    I showed them to my wife and now she has promised not to givem grief about all my gear in the garage.......

Thekid, did you see the second picture with the Kenwood power amps and at the top the preamps for each amp? You must like that since you are a big Kenwood fan!

Since we were talking about piles of electronics i took some pictures of few of the stuff I have home:

As you can see I found another site that have the option of the picture size which is good, now they are smaller.

Great stuff! I, of course, am particularly fond of the "silver" stuff from the '70s.

Chicago IL
    That is the first thing that the people look at when they come home, the silver faced receivers and amplifier. Everyone who likes vintage electronics likes the silver stuff. It is a lot of money though

Dynaco ST-80

Latest pick-up is a Dynaco ST-80 solid state amp from the late 60's. cosmetically it is in great condition but soundwise it has some issues. Not sure if is worth fixing up though I have read that with some modifications it can be a pretty solid performer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Finds-dynaco-st-80-1e-2-.jpg  

Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information