Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT Dual-500's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOXMAN

Now, can you please tell me how to hook up 6 ampzillas to two DQ-10s...... I have even emailed James Bongiorno about this... he hasnt even responded!!!!!
    Another option is to can the passive crossovers and convert them to an active system.

This option would apply only if you're a serious hobbyist with some test gear.

Audio Enthusiast

DQ10s love power

I recently acquired a Carver TFM45 and tried it with several of my speakers.

However, the DQ10s stood out remarkably more refined sounding with the Carver than my other speakers. It is a good match for the DQ10s

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by emaidel View Post
    $139.50 per woofer for a rebuild may seem steep, but after what you've probably paid for the "several" refoam jobs you've had done, it probably would have been the most economical from the start.
    They are $175 each now, but they have a 3-week turnaround.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    i will repeat my preference for the hafler 500 with these speakers. i had never heard bass come out of dq10s like that until the H500. definitely worth the effort to get one to try.
    ...regards...tr

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
    They are $175 each now, but they have a 3-week turnaround.
    A couple of years ago, a friend of mine came across a pair of DQ-10's that had been sitting around the college where he teaches, just collecting dirt. He was able to keep them, and I told him it would be very likely that the woofers would be shot, and, indeed, they were.

Rather than spend $175 each for a rebuild, I suggested he purchase brand new replacement woofers from Simply Speakers, adverstised as "upgraded Advent woofers." Instead of the masonite surround, there is a larger metal frame, and the foam surround is inverted. Nevertheless, he ordered a pair (at $123 each) and I installed them for him. They work just fine, and now, at least in my book, that would be the direction to go with older, rotted DQ-10 woofers, given the other problems besides rotted foam that can occur with speakers more than 30 years old. And, it didn't take three weeks to get them either.

James Bongiorno, famous amp designer and principal of Ampzilla recently died. Rest In Peace, James

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by emaidel View Post
    Nevertheless, he ordered a pair (at $123 each) and I installed them for him. They work just fine, and now, at least in my book, that would be the direction to go with older, rotted DQ-10 woofers, given the other problems besides rotted foam that can occur with speakers more than 30 years old. And, it didn't take three weeks to get them either.

I'm in a position where $100 difference will mean little to me in the long run. I fall back on my classic car collecting mantra that I'm better off rebuilding a 40 year old part than trusting a new reproduction part.

When these speakers are rebuilt they use nothing but the spider and the magnet. Everything else is scrapped.
    All bought new, Now "Classic Analog".

Ampzilla, one of the few kits
    Dahlquist DQ-10s
    Tannoy TM55DD
    Heathkit tuner, pre-amp and equalizer
    Pioneer CD changer and cassette deck

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
    I'm in a position where $100 difference will mean little to me in the long run. I fall back on my classic car collecting mantra that I'm better off rebuilding a 40 year old part than trusting a new reproduction part.

When these speakers are rebuilt they use nothing but the spider and the magnet. Everything else is scrapped.
    Perhaps what it boils down to is whether or not one believes the DQ-10 woofer is indeed the same thing as the Advent woofer. The folks at Regnar claim there are differences, though several speaker repair companies have stated that, having had both Advent and DQ-10 woofers on their benches, they weren't able to detect any differences.

The current replacement from Simply Speakers is now $119, but out of stock. It claims to be an "upgraded", OEM, original Advent woofer. I know they work well, having installed them in my friend's DQ-10's.

Insofar as the Regnar rebuild, I'm fully aware of the extent of the rebuild, having had a rather long discussion with their service manager there when I had mine rebuilt, after an especially sloppy refoam by, of all places, Simply Speakers.

So, this is not an endorsement of Simply Speakers, but a suggestion for an "upgraded" woofer for less money than a rebuild of an older one.

Forum Regular
    Woofers should be back from Regnar today. The capacitor kit and wiring upgrade mad a big difference in sound quality. I quantified this by only doing one speaker upgrade and listening to both. Even switched outputs to confirm that it wasn't the other electronics.

Took my meter section out of the Ampzilla and sent it in for repair after my cleaning of the switch only lasted a few days.

I'm thinking about using 12" cinder blocks as speaker stands as mine are falling apart. Any feedback on that plan?

Dahlquist DQ-10s
    Tannoy TM55DD

Forum Regular
    I tried the cinder blocks and they look just like I'm using cinder blocks as speaker stands. I will build some nice Teak veneer boxes to enclose their ugliness.

The woofer installation went well. They sound just fine.

Dahlquist DQ-10s
    Tannoy TM55DD

Forum Regular
    Built some surrounds for the speaker stands.

Dahlquist DQ-10s
    Tannoy TM55DD

Forum Regular
    Michael Bettinger did a great job fixing my meter and making me an LED harness and lamp for the power light. The refurbished DQ-10s sound great.

My wife is a choral singer and pianist and she marvels at how it sounds like you're at the concert as soon as you close your eyes.

Thanks to Regnar and Mike Bettinger for helping me bring music back into my life.

Dahlquist DQ-10s
    Tannoy TM55DD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information