Thread: Kenwood TK-140X

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Kenwood TK-140X

Well it has been a while since I posted some pics of another vintage pick up. Saw this older receiver for $10 so I thought, why not? Little info out there on it. I think it dates from the late 60's and is runs somewhere between 20-50wpc. Overall condition is very good even though it will not win any beauty contests with its styling.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    How much does it weigh? Guts look nice!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    How much does it weigh? Guts look nice!
    A ton would be the short answer but in reality I would guess 35-40lbs.
    I picked it up while on the road and could not find a box for it so I put it in my suitcase and jammed my clothes arond it. I don't think the person at the ticket counter even looked to see how much the suitcase weighed because it was well over the 50lb limit. I warned the TSA guys ahead of time and the guy just laughed and said they see all sorts of things in luggage but that a receiver was probably a first.

Ad

Did you see this while searching for info on it? Someone selling the brochure at jumpingfrog.com.

True vintage

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Well it has been a while since I posted some pics of another vintage pick up. Saw this older receiver for $10 so I thought, why not? Little info out there on it. I think it dates from the late 60's and is runs somewhere between 20-50wpc. Overall condition is very good even though it will not win any beauty contests with its styling.
    Congrats, kid,

That's a true vintage piece for sure. I agree that it's probably late '60s.

I could get into collection these nice old components if only I had the room to show them.

Uhoo, Aha

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Did you see this while searching for info on it? Someone selling the brochure at jumpingfrog.com.

200 wpc! (Doesn't say RMS, though.) Three FETs: wow, cutting edge for the time. And holy cow, four, count 'em, 4 integrated circuits.

In fact, a part of the charm of the pre-80s vintage units is the relative lack of ICs.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob

Thanks, I have not seen that ad but it is probably the source of some of the info on the web where people have claimed this is a 200 watt receiver. Reading the ad though I think it is a clever piece of advertising since they only say 200 watts of power but they don't directly tell you how many WPC that the unit produces. This unit was produced during the era in which manufacturer's had pretty much a free hand to describe the performance of their units since the government had not forced them to use a standard set of performance measurements as is required today.

Feanor

Yeah at some point space becomes an issue, on the plus side I have a really well equipped garage.......

My wife is a saint for putting up with my addiction and letting me fill almost every room with some piece of gear. I really do think I have reached the saturation point but if I come across something like this for $5-$20 its kind of hard to walk away.....

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    I saw a post online that says it was Kenwood's top of the line receiver with 50 watts per/8 ohms (that's a lot of power for those days). The 200 watt figure is the old music power or peak power rating.

Thread Information