I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

United Audio Dual 1019 Turntable

Got my hands on one of these turntables. Seems to run great. Anyone with any info on these? Worth hanging on to....it has a nice heavy-wood base seems better built than the plastic ones I saw at BB.

A little info

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Got my hands on one of these turntables. Seems to run great. Anyone with any info on these? Worth hanging on to....it has a nice heavy-wood base seems better built than the plastic ones I saw at BB.
    Kid,

I don't have any personal experience with them, but here's a little bit of information ...

Feanor- Once again you come through for me big time. Great link-this is defintely what I have. I had no idea it was that old, it certainly has held up well and i will hold on to it.

Just a quick follow up. I just hooked this up and broke out some vinyl to give it a spin. Sounds great and works like a champ. I think I am going to leave of the dust cover though since it is so big and tedious to take on and off. (No hinges) Looking at the stylus it says it is a Pickering XV-16. Anybody got any clue if that is decent or should I look to upgrade?

New cartridge

Just a quick follow up. I just hooked this up and broke out some vinyl to give it a spin. Sounds great and works like a champ. I think I am going to leave of the dust cover though since it is so big and tedious to take on and off. (No hinges) Looking at the stylus it says it is a Pickering XV-16. Anybody got any clue if that is decent or should I look to upgrade?
    I'm not your best mentor when it comes to vinyl playback, but since I'm your first responder, I'll venture a few more remarks. You should probably also post in the Analog forum.

I probably would have choosen a later mode than the Dual. Either a belt drive or a direct drive from, say, Techinics, but that's no matter since your Dual is working fine.

Pickering is/was a well-know brand, but I can't find any info on the XV-16. Age is important since the stylus suspensions tend to harden over time, and of course, stylii wear out with use. Probably you should replace the cartridge. Do you have both MM and MC capability? I would avoid very high compliance cartridges since the older Dual might have relatively high-mass tonearm that won't be a good match. Moderately price models today come from the likes of Goldring and Grado, but I can't give specific recommendations.

A good Internet source for analog equipment is the Needle Doctor ... http://www.needledoctor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I'm not your best mentor when it comes to vinyl playback, but since I'm your first responder, I'll venture a few more remarks. You should probably also post in the Analog forum.

I probably would have choosen a later mode than the Dual. Either a belt drive or a direct drive from, say, Techinics, but that's no matter since your Dual is working fine.

Pickering is/was a well-know brand, but I can't find any info on the XV-16. Age is important since the stylus suspensions tend to harden over time, and of course, stylii wear out with use. Probably you should replace the cartridge. Do you have both MM and MC capability? I would avoid very high compliance cartridges since the older Dual might have relatively high-mass tonearm that won't be a good match. Moderately price models today come from the likes of Goldring and Grado, but I can't give specific recommendations.

A good Internet source for analog equipment is the Needle Doctor ... http://www.needledoctor.com/

Feanor

Sorry if I am being dense here but what do you mean when you ask if it is MM or MC?

Mm/mc

Feanor

Sorry if I am being dense here but what do you mean when you ask if it is MM or MC?
    These are alternate cartridge technologies:
    MM = moving magnet
    MC = moving coil
    I can't explain the technical differences but they require different phono preamps, or a least the MC need an additional "step-up transformer" to boost MC's very low output voltages to the higher levels that MM phono preamps can handle.

By the way, here's some more info on the Dual 1019 ...
    http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1019.shtml

Feanor

Outstanding link and help!!
    THANK YOU!!!!

I just finished printing out the owner's manual and that should go a long way in helping me now and in the future.

I have already started playing some of the old vinyl. Genesis' "And then there wer 3" some Doobie Bros....... Cranking up the RTR's and driving my kids crazy...though my daughter now wants me to burn her a copy of Blondie's "Parallel Lines" .......

Forum Regular
    In case you don't know, the Dual 1019 has a cult following. One fellow drove most of the way here [Kansas City] from Des Moines to pick one up from me. He soon had it cleaned up and running, and he seemed quite happy with it.

Laz

Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by trollgirl
    In case you don't know, the Dual 1019 has a cult following. One fellow drove most of the way here [Kansas City] from Des Moines to pick one up from me. He soon had it cleaned up and running, and he seemed quite happy with it.

Laz

Last Dual 1019 I sold from my garage stash, suitably reconditioned, cleaned up and adjusted, with a fair-to-middling cartridge in it, went for $275 to the first person who called about it.

The garage stash has two more but I am planning to keep them for myself, as I do believe the 1019 was superior to its successors in the Dual 12-series, for anything but the most compliant cartridges.

Thread Information