Question L-19 Decade Part II

I received these speakers (finally), and the 8" drivers are wasted big time. I was
    told this up front. Finding 116a woofers, has turned out to be a huge challange. When I do
    find a pair, there over $150 each. I'm sending these to a well known socal shop (orange
    county speakers inc.) for restoration. They have over 100 aftermarket drivers in stock. My
    problem is, I don't know whats good or junk. They have stuff from $24 up to several
    hundred. Can anyone give a brand name of a modern era driver that "duplicates" a
    oem jbl piece. Or is that impossible. I know I could just throw in any speaker, but the
    point is to get "that sound", with out going broke. Also I see todays drivers are just
    so much better made. The speaker shop says they will do there best to get as close
    as possible, but I'd like to understand what i'm installing. One way or another,
    somethings going in those cabs, I just want it to sound as correct as possible. FYI,
    every review i've read gave these very high marks, so there keepers, and will go into
    my system (with 4410 monitor fronts). Thanks for any info.

Check out http://www.madisound.com. I think they might be able to suggest suitable drivers if you provide them with as much info as possible. This may include cabinet dimensions, port size, etc.

Who knows? If you get lucky, maybe the make/model will suffice.

Poke around there and see what you can find.

...as we say out here, "can't hoit"

P.S. I take it replacing the surrounds isn't an option?

Thanks much, the actual cone is torn, surrounds gone, but the voice coils look okay.
    Is reconing a possiblity? And is it worth it. I may ask about that. That would solve
    my "sound" issue, or am I way off base here. Again, Thanks. I hooked these up for a
    second and the tweeters seem good. The repair shop is going to check every
    detail of the speakers, They "work" other than the driver issues.

I love this phrase...

"They "work" other than the driver issues" That's kinda like the car runs great but the engine's shot.

But, yeah, with the torn cone, it does sound like a reconing is what 's called for here. Did They offer that?

Weigh the costs and options carefully. Dunno how old this is but maybe it can help.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...t/L19%20ts.pdf

You need Adobre Acrobat reader: I's a free download if you don't already have it.

Dunno what to tell ya, but I'm loving my 30+ year old L 26's (paired with a Marantz 2270) and I can certainly appreciate your wanting to maintain the "original" sound. Some things don't translate into logical dollar decisions.

Good luck...
    Last edited by markw; 06-29-2006 at 04:21 AM.

They offer that, and I'm going that way, and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.
    I was on ebay earlier, and there's some mint l36's and of coarse l19's fully restored
    (late again). I'm watching some l100's right now, we'll see how that goes.

Thread Information