Chicago IL

Finally The Set Is Completed

Today I got my Dynaco FM-3 tube tuner and now I have the set completed! It sounds so so good with the Dynaco SCA-35 tube amp! Now the amplifier has a lot more power than before with this tuner! I cleaned it and sprayed with contact cleaner all the pots! I also cleaned the analog tuner inside.

I used to have a PAS-3, Stereo 70 and FM-3 all built from the kits by yours truly. The beginning of the end for them was when I heard an ARC SP-3 pre amp. I unloaded all three to buy the SP-3. I wish I had kept the Stereo 70.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Chicago IL
    They are great units! They match so good and they sound very very good. I am listening to the system now! The tuner catches every station perfectly!

That's great, Dakata; it brings back memories for me too.

My first hifi system, made by me from the kits, was the Dyna FM-3 tuner, the PAT-4 s/s preamp, and Stereo 80 s/s power amp. The tuner was by far the trickest to assemble BTW. I soon went for all solid state, replaceing the FM-3 with the FM-5.

I often wonder if my long hifi journey would been different it, like Joe, I'd started with the PAS-3 and Stereo 70 tube components instead of the solid state

Chicago IL
    I saw the FM-5 but I wanted to stick to the tube tuner since the amp is tube. The FM-5 is a lot cheaper than the FM-3. I got it on very good price and minty! Now I am enjoying the set. Alot more power than before on the amp, I don't even know why but they match perfect! I cleaned the analog tuner with deoxit and it is catching the stations very good. I am very happy with the sound. I've been listening to it pretty much the whole day!

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    I saw the FM-5 but I wanted to stick to the tube tuner since the amp is tube. The FM-5 is a lot cheaper than the FM-3. I got it on very good price and minty! Now I am enjoying the set. Alot more power than before on the amp, I don't even know why but they match perfect! I cleaned the analog tuner with deoxit and it is catching the stations very good. I am very happy with the sound. I've been listening to it pretty much the whole day!
    Yeah, for sure, with the tube amp I'd want the FM-3 -- and it does look great.

BTW, the FM-5 is solid state but is also "analog"; it doesn't use quartz tuning.

Back then I auditioned a Stereo 80 and 120. The ST-70 sounded much better to me. When I sold the PAS, FM-3 and ST-70 for an ARC SP-3 I replaced the ST-70 with a pair of MK-III's. The FM-3 was replaced with an Accuphase T-101 which I still have. I still have the MK-III's although they have little resemblance to the originals. Only the transformers are in use,
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    Nice! One of my brothers still has the working kits of all of them too. They went great with the old AR5s.

Chicago IL
    I am so tempted to find a pair of Dynaco A-25 or higher model! I have never had a Dynaco speaker pair and everyone says how good they are!

Thread Information