Thread: Radio Shack

Talking Radio Shack

Here is a real blast from the past super cool and far out man.

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/ca...directory.html
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

That's great!

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH

Thanks, Brandon,

I remember those RS catalogues rather well, especially the mid-70's.

Suspended
    Bookmarked!!! I'll look closer at these catalogs tomorrow when I'm not seeing double.

Great post BRANDONH! Thanks.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    B

Did not mean to step on your toes........
    Just saw your post after I posted the link on another thread in Vintage Gear.
    I have already had some fun going through some of these catalogues to "price out" some of my older gear especially my Optimus 5B's ($115 a piece in 76-77) and my Minimus 7's ($49.95 a piece 79-92?).

Great site!

Forum Regular
    Well now after looking at my speakers in the catalog i remember what I payed for them.
    At this point I haven't used them for 8+ years they need to be re foamed.I don't know if I should just heave them in a dumpster or save them? any thoughts? they are optimus T 120's vintage 1985.
    Jimmy B

Surround Kit For 10" Speaker Foam

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    Well now after looking at my speakers in the catalog i remember what I payed for them.
    At this point I haven't used them for 8+ years they need to be re foamed.I don't know if I should just heave them in a dumpster or save them? any thoughts? they are optimus T 120's vintage 1985.
    Jimmy B
    Might try a repair kit
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-925

my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    Thanks Brandohn, I will consider it.
    Jimmy B

The Bargain Hunter

Outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH

I have searched high and low for info on my STA-2300 with only a little luck.Some of the info I've gotten was a little off from the 1982 ad.I picked mine up about 12 years ago for $50 at Goodwill and it has worked great ever since.Great link BRANDONH

Boatman1
    Thanks BrandonH that was cool seeing what a lot of my stuff went for and how it was
    advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatman1
    Thanks BrandonH that was cool seeing what a lot of my stuff went for and how it was
    advertised.
    Its pretty cool alright
    I was looking at the 1963 today and found this

I did not know there was such a thing.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Suspended
    I think they used to put those things inside jukeboxes didn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I think they used to put those things inside jukeboxes didn't they?
    yeah pretty sure they did but I have never seen a stand alone unit like it before.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Aging Smartass
    What a wonderfully nostalgic post, BRANDONH. As a 14-year veteran of Lafayette Radio (Radio Shack's biggest competitor at the time), I can really appreciate "flipping' through an old catalog's pages. Somewhere in a box in my garage are several old Lafayette catalogs, which people all but killed each other for every fall when the latest one came out. The last time I looked through one, I was frankly amazed at the advertising hyperbole for some really lousy stuff! And Lafayette, at the time, had a far better image, and better stocked and staffed retail stores. Then it all collapsed...

Forum Regular

Did someone say Lafayette Radio

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    What a wonderfully nostalgic post, BRANDONH. As a 14-year veteran of Lafayette Radio (Radio Shack's biggest competitor at the time), I can really appreciate "flipping' through an old catalog's pages. Somewhere in a box in my garage are several old Lafayette catalogs, which people all but killed each other for every fall when the latest one came out. The last time I looked through one, I was frankly amazed at the advertising hyperbole for some really lousy stuff! And Lafayette, at the time, had a far better image, and better stocked and staffed retail stores. Then it all collapsed...
    Speaking of vintage equipment, does anyone know where I could find a Lafayette Radio LR-4000(A) quadrafonic reciever? It was second only to Sony's. I worked at Lafayette Radio in Natick,MA. I loved listening to Santana's Abraxis quad lp.Lafayette Radio was large because it also sold electronic parts to industries (resistors, capacitors, etc) in volume. The audio store section carried all kinds of brands not just their own. Once the corporation was bought out, it was broken up and sold off (sound familar).

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freddievortex1
    Speaking of vintage equipment, does anyone know where I could find a Lafayette Radio LR-4000(A) quadrafonic reciever? It was second only to Sony's. I worked at Lafayette Radio in Natick,MA. I loved listening to Santana's Abraxis quad lp.Lafayette Radio was large because it also sold electronic parts to industries (resistors, capacitors, etc) in volume. The audio store section carried all kinds of brands not just their own. Once the corporation was bought out, it was broken up and sold off (sound familar).
    I don't have a Lafayette quad but I do have a Gladding which is a re-badged LR from what I could find out. interesting little unit until the power died a couple of months back. I still have hopes of bringing it back from the dead when I have more money than common sense.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Smile

Thanks Brandon for the great link. It was great to see the price and styles of things back then. I bought my first stereo from RS- a STA 64 receiver, lab turntable optimus 5b speakers along with a cassette tape deck head phones and various cables and a stand .
    Wow I must have had some money back in 77 or 78. Unlike today.
    BTW they are all still working and I can say I never had one bit of grief from any of them.
    Any way thanks again for the great site.

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhookup
    When they answer the phone at our local Radio Shack they say:youve got questions; we have answers. If they were truthful they would say: not only don't we know the answers; we don't even understand the question!

Man, how things have changed! At the Lafayette store which I managed during my last four years with the company (Manhasset, New York), we all prided ourselves in knowing as much as we could about everything that we sold. If someone asked one of us a question we didn't know the answer to, our reponse was, "I don't know, but let me see if I can find someone who does." We may not always have been successful (after all, the Lafayette catalog carried over 65,000 different items!), but at least we tried.

Thread Information