Thread: Ohm Walsh 4

Forum Regular

Ohm Walsh 4

I picked up a pair of Walsh 4's yesterday. Very nice condition although the right speaker does make a buzzing noise. I knew this when I bought them but since Ohm still services these speakers and the price was right I went for it. I will have to open the speaker up this week end and take a look. Does anyone have an idea of what I might look for? Thanks.

cubdog

Forum Regular

First, determine...

...if it is the woofer or the tweeter that is buzzing. A woofer will be easy, the tweeter may be expensive. Use of tone controls may help here. Maybe swap woofers.

Laz

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Actually it's not that simple

Quote Originally Posted by trollgirl
    ...if it is the woofer or the tweeter that is buzzing. A woofer will be easy, the tweeter may be expensive. Use of tone controls may help here. Maybe swap woofers.

Laz
    Ohm uses a special driver, an inverted high angle cone called the "Walsh" as a full range driver. It's not cheap, and until a few years ago was unrepairable by anyone else but Ohm. You can actually repace the old driver with an upgraded version too. Here's a link you might find interesting;

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/ohm/ohm.html
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Nice !!

Quote Originally Posted by cubdog
    I picked up a pair of Walsh 4's yesterday. Very nice condition although the right speaker does make a buzzing noise. I knew this when I bought them but since Ohm still services these speakers and the price was right I went for it. I will have to open the speaker up this week end and take a look. Does anyone have an idea of what I might look for? Thanks.

cubdog
    If there is one component I sold but dearly wish I had not, that would be the Ohm F's I owned in the late '70's. I sold them to buy B&W DM7's: can you image? What a fool I was.

Forum Regular
    I contacted Ohm and it looks like repair costs will run about $250. Since they are in great cosmetic condition and I don't have much into them it will be a worthwhile fix.

cubdog

Go for it

Quote Originally Posted by cubdog
    I contacted Ohm and it looks like repair costs will run about $250. Since they are in great cosmetic condition and I don't have much into them it will be a worthwhile fix.

cubdog
    Do you have to ship the speakers to them?

In any case, it should be well worth it.

Thread Information