Forum Regular

Tannoy Berkeleys

Hi everyone

I just received as a gift a pair of Tannoy Berkeleys. The foam around the speakers is pretty much deteriorated. I called a local speaker repair shop and they said the would have to be re-coned at a cost of $1100-$1400. There is a foam repair kit available for about $100 specifically for these speakers. Would they still sound as good with the repair kit, or should I invest the money for re-coning? Are they worth the extra money? The cabinets are in very nice shape (only a couple of water marks from a glass on one of them) Thanks for your help in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by cooter51
    Hi everyone

I just received as a gift a pair of Tannoy Berkeleys. The foam around the speakers is pretty much deteriorated. I called a local speaker repair shop and they said the would have to be re-coned at a cost of $1100-$1400. There is a foam repair kit available for about $100 specifically for these speakers. Would they still sound as good with the repair kit, or should I invest the money for re-coning? Are they worth the extra money? The cabinets are in very nice shape (only a couple of water marks from a glass on one of them) Thanks for your help in this matter.
    What shape are the cones in? I would hook them up even with the rotted foam to make sure that the cone movement is OK, don't worry about the sound quality, it will sound thin.

If the cone has good movement then a refoam probably is all you need.

Cheers
    Last edited by Luvin Da Blues; 08-01-2007 at 05:14 PM.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

these are very cool and superb sounding speakers. if the voice coil is scraping its likely that all it needs is to be re-centered. you can do this by simply unbolting the spider and manually aligning the voice coil. at one time surrounds were available for these through Audio Atlanta for $39, http://audioatlanta.com/. i dont know if they still have them but you should check as these are more than worth the time and trouble to repair..
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Thread Information