Forum Regular

Awesome Quad Receiver

I picked this thing up at an auction some weeks ago, a Pioneer QX-949A. It has the usual brushed aluminum face, blue dial, wood cabinet. It is styled to look like a Marantz unit with the tuning scope - that was a turnoff. I was really more interested in the Yamaha speaks that went with it, and got them all for $15. Back home, I found that there is a plastic flap on the back, held down by a thumbscrew. "4CH" showed in a little window. I undid the screw, pulled out a connector block, flipped it over, reinserted it into the back of the receiver, and screwed the flap back in palce. I could now read "2CH" in the window.

Folks, this thing is screaming awesome in two channel!! It plays everything with complete authority and detail, even the bass notes, and seems to have unlimited power reserves. It is hernia-heavy too. It is just begging for insertion into my main system...

Anybody know any data on this thing, or use/used it?

Laz

Hey Trollgirl, I own a QX-747A. It's the same as yours but with a bit less power. Yeah, these things are pretty nice. I love the psuedo scope and I have a thing for old analog dials. Very heavy and very impressive.

Visit my site for more stereos:
    www.jimmyneutron.org

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Here's a site...

Quote Originally Posted by trollgirl
    I picked this thing up at an auction some weeks ago, a Pioneer QX-949A. It has the usual brushed aluminum face, blue dial, wood cabinet. It is styled to look like a Marantz unit with the tuning scope - that was a turnoff. I was really more interested in the Yamaha speaks that went with it, and got them all for $15. Back home, I found that there is a plastic flap on the back, held down by a thumbscrew. "4CH" showed in a little window. I undid the screw, pulled out a connector block, flipped it over, reinserted it into the back of the receiver, and screwed the flap back in palce. I could now read "2CH" in the window.

Folks, this thing is screaming awesome in two channel!! It plays everything with complete authority and detail, even the bass notes, and seems to have unlimited power reserves. It is hernia-heavy too. It is just begging for insertion into my main system...

Anybody know any data on this thing, or use/used it?

Laz
    http://www.thevintageknob.org/PIONEER/QX949/QX949.html

jimHJJ(...the Pioneers of that vintage just plain kick @$$...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the information! Your unit looks to be in really nice shape. Mine is a little rough around the corners.

Laz

Thread Information