Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hey Mark, what did you expect?
    Have you ever seen a measurement of RGA or of Audio Note or of BOSE? No friends to post? Thats too sad RGA!

Hey, i have tons of friends over and everyone is welcome, yes even Wooch and Kex I can't believe it took you all so long to see it!

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Lots of bluff and bravado but nothing of substance.

You assume that people want to be bothered to take a trip to meet you and your friends because they don't post on these forums?

Half a million dollars for a plane ticket?

You're afraid that by mentioning your friends names their homes will be broken into? I guess only thieves read these forums, eh? ...or could it be that they don't want to be publicly associated with you?

Thanks for my daily laugh.
    My daily laugh is to see people who can't read. I never used the word friend. I met some people at the dealer and the owner of the upper system went through my dealer to let me hear it. In both instances they requested to not post their addresses which if means that they're names are out of the question since one can look that up in the phone book and find their address.

"Half a million dollars for a plane ticket?"

Don't know what you're talking about. If one is spending a significant amount of dollars on stereo they should ensure they are getting the right set-up for their needs. AN has a different kind of structure to most companies with levels and this customer wanted to ensure the right synergistic match and also to hear the pinnacle the company has to offer -- having heard the pinnacles of many others and owning some of them. I see no reason to not spend what amounts to the "tax" on interconnect cables to fly to England and back - meet the owner see the plant and compare it to other set-ups. One fellow I met here is at the other end of the financial spectrum and he too travelled all the way there - and all he was doing was building a kit. I believe he took his friend a rather noted engineer with him. He is now working on a few kits with differing exotic materials.

"You assume that peole want to be bothered to take a trip to meet you and your friends because they don't post on these forums? "

This also makes no sense. The Audio Hobby implies that Peter Qvortrup is a liar. And that only Peter has heard the two Kondo amps and of course he would choose his own engineer's building of it. That is a false statement - people have -- he is welcome to come out here and I shall introduce him to the people who have heard it. Of course Peter has already asked ANYONE who wants to compare them to go to the plant. It is far easier for TAH to make a drive or a tube trip (England is a very small place) and hear it for himself rather than ask people in Canada about what they heard (to which he won't believe anyway). Not too many people own both Ongaku Amplifiers and can A/B them. Not too many people can request pretty much any recording and have the owner pull it out either. And not too many people can pull out of the closet various very noted competitor's speakers to A/B them. You want to hear a Quad or an Avante Guarde against his speaker with any classical piece from anyone pretty much ever or you want to hear Rage Against the Machine on Vinyl -- and you also want to copmpare the Quad or Acoustat versus his Speaker - want to hear the Acoustat with a Krell set-up verus the tubes etc then he has a significant amount of this stuff on hand.

Very few can pull that out in audition and let YOU hear it for yourself rather than the blab blab on internet forums and the whiney snivelly 2 year olds like Florian.

The only real education in audio is in the listening -- I can't make you do that and there may be very many real reasons not to -- doesn't matter to me and judging by Audio Note's huge demand versus not being able to meet it in supply it's not like they're going to lose any sleep over it. They lose sales no doubt by not being able to meet the demand in a timely manner.

The fellow here paid in advance for a turntable and he has been waiting more than one year and it's still not ready because various outsourced parts suppliers had difficulties causing AN to find someone else and when Audio Note is not about (anyone will do) then it slows the process. They are doing quite well for a little known company with some valves and plain jane boxes.

As opposed to many other companies who went belly up even with big impressive LOOKING products (See Apogee), others who went belly-up but got bought by a Chinese company for the name and went belly-up again and got bought again with accountants in charge instead of passionate music lovers (See Quad, Wharfedale, Mission, Kef). None of these yodles had anything worthwhile to sell for a lot of years. The ONLY reason the names are still around is because Buyers of these companies did not have to spend any money on building name brand recognition.

The best panel maker of the lot now is Soundlab (which in reviews have said it's better than any of the old panel makers like Apogee) which you can compare directly against Audio Note speakers if you wish at a dealer in the US (Audio Federation) who carries both lines. Do a google and locate their address. You can come to my dealer who sells Magnepan and compare that to Audio Note.

My opinion makes little difference -- It needs to be compared by the person doing the shopping. Magnepan and apparently Soundlab have a lot going for them if space is a non issue for you. None of these guys are going anywhere anytime soon, which means all of them are doing quite nicely selling to people.

The original post was about more watts being better -- and no that is not the case - it could be the case if you own low impedance speakers low sensitive speakers or speakers that have large impedance shifts -- if on the other hand you own competently built speakers then you don't need a lot of watts!
    Last edited by RGA; 03-10-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Another thread gone sour.Wont be to long when the "Top Guns" lock this one.Thank you guys

Very few can pull that out in audition and let YOU hear it for yourself rather than the blab blab on internet forums and the whiney snivelly 2 year olds like Florian.
    At least this 2 year old can afford the same you seek, but chooses not too because its a joke. And this 2 year old *who doesnt wine, since he doesnt want your ****! has had TONS of people over to attest to his system incl. Prof. reviewers.

Muhahah....keep going!
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Did some surf for the past days.Use a power amp that suppliies 2 to 4 times speakers continuous power rating per channel.This allows 3 to 6 db of headroom for peaks in the audio signal.Light dance music or voice ,amplifier power 1.6 times .For Metal or Grunge 2.5 times.EX for home stereo with 150 watts amp per channel and speakers with a 85 db SPL average (with 15 db peaks)to bring it to the 95 db SPL you would need 1500 watts.Did some calculation for my speakers at a distance of 5 meters ,92 db,6db amplifier headroom and want a 90 db SPL .I would only need 63 watts.
    Last edited by PAT.P; 03-10-2006 at 12:47 PM.

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    The original post was about more watts being better -- and no that is not the case - it could be the case if you own low impedance speakers low sensitive speakers or speakers that have large impedance shifts -- if on the other hand you own competently built speakers then you don't need a lot of watts
    If all things are indeed equal then more watts is better than less watts, to bring it down to your level more Audio Note watts are better less Audio Note watts irrespective of speaker sensitivity, whether more watts are necessary is another matter entirely. By the way I did get to hear the Audio Note J-Spe, and other Audio Note gear not relevant to this discussion, and it sacrifices bass depth for higher sensitivity, a trade-off that is not unreasonable since Audio Note sells low power amplifiers. Going to Brighton to listen to Ongaku is certainly not on the cards for a variety of reasons.
    It's a listening test, you do not need to see it to listen to it!

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Another thread gone sour.Wont be to long when the "Top Guns" lock this one.Thank you guys
    Did I tell you?How can we learn anything if it always turns like this?The More Watts in Steel Cage

Did I tell you?How can we learn anything if it always turns like this?The More Watts in Steel Cage
    Won't they ever learn?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    If all things are indeed equal then more watts is better than less watts, to bring it down to your level more Audio Note watts are better less Audio Note watts irrespective of speaker sensitivity, whether more watts are necessary is another matter entirely. By the way I did get to hear the Audio Note J-Spe, and other Audio Note gear not relevant to this discussion, and it sacrifices bass depth for higher sensitivity, a trade-off that is not unreasonable since Audio Note sells low power amplifiers. Going to Brighton to listen to Ongaku is certainly not on the cards for a variety of reasons.
    Actually I agree with you here. If all else is equal then more watts is better For instance my amp is 10 watts if another exactly the same sounding amplifier called the OTO 2 existed and it was 30 watts then as long as it sounded exactly the same and the price was not exorbuitantly more (a personal judgement call) then yes I agree with you. I'm not against more watts so long as more does not make it worse. With many amplifiers separates are indeed better - for instance I would take a Bryston 3bST with preamp over the B60 and I would also go separates with AN rather than buy the Meishu but these are more about sound quality reasons than power reasons. The OTO is not a true integrated amp -- it is one of their preamps and power amps stuck in one box -- or separates in a box.

Remember though that AN also does in home trials -- they will come to you. Even here they lend the stuff out to people for weeks at a time - don't know about over there.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The OTO is not a true integrated amp -- it is one of their preamps and power amps stuck in one box -- or separates in a box.

How is this different than any other pre-amp on the market? Most I've seen are exactly that.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    How is this different than any other pre-amp on the market? Most I've seen are exactly that.
    Integrated amps are not full size separate units in a box. The B60 is not a 3bST and their .5 preamp. No they have a smaller power supply share circuits. The OTO can be purchased as separates -- I believe the M1 preamp and the P1 power amp. The OTO is simply cheaper less noisy and does not require the external interconnect.

I am not going to get into the ins and outs because I don't buy amplifiers or anything else on the technology or the technobabble but on the sound. So all I can do is direct you to what AN claims -- and you can feel free to e-mail them or ignore it. With regards to the integrated amplifiers this is what Peter claims:

"Unlike the majority of integrated amplifiers, which are technically compromised in order to meet their price target, an Audio Note integrated amplifier is a full pre-power amplifier combination, complete with independent power supplies, in a single box. Therefore, rather than being a compromise, it is an advantage. Single box construction provides a shorter signal path and more ideal interstage matching giving obvious sonic benefits. The Meishu takes this principle several steps further and provides separate valve rectified choke smoothed power supplies for each amplification stage." (go to http://www.audionote.co.uk/ click products and then click level 3) [As an aside {nobody who does not have direct access to an all An system need read this bit} -- to this article Indeed, a nice test is to compare the Meishue or OTO with the AN speaker against say a Bryston B&W speaker. What you do is play the B&W set-up at 85decibals to a group of people blind with a given piece of music -- you will need a rat shack meter at the least for this. Then play the same cut on the AN system of around 80-82db and then ask the participants which one sounded louder. Avoid playing bass heavey music though as the B&W's wikll be disadvantaged and bass to the ear often sounds louder so try and avoid stuff under 50hz - anyway I only mention it because a relative of yours has the speakers and this should work -- this note is only in regards to the link I provided and the issue of volume related to resolution - that which is clearer seems louder or does not need to be turned up to be made out so the competing set-up needed to be played louder to seem as loud as the more resolute one.]

Audio Note technically does not make a true integrated amp in the usual way -- in that they said let's make an integrated amp which is usually filled with comprpomises (The B60 is worse than any of their separates for example) -- With AN they are separates in one box and many of them had or had separates like the M1 pre and P1 power amp. The other thing is that while the OTO is cosnsidered a level 2 product in their line - the M1 and P1 are considered level 1. So if indeed you agree that the OTO sounds better than the separates then that supports his argument of shorter signal path being better blah blah blah. The advantage of many separates is that of reducing noise -- but the AN amps are so physically large using such good parts even for an entry level amp that everything seems spaced far enough apart to not be a problem -- the OTO is nearly as large as my 300 disc changer.

Of course I have heard the M8 and Kageki power amps and they blow the OTO to dust. My view is you get what sounds best to you through the speakers you have. The M8 and Kegon costs well over 15 times the price of the OTO and actually have 2 less watts per channel.
    Last edited by RGA; 03-12-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Integrated amps are not full size separate units in a box. The B60 is not a 3bST and their .5 preamp. No they have a smaller power supply share circuits. The OTO can be purchased as separates -- I believe the M1 preamp and the P1 power amp. The OTO is simply cheaper less noisy and does not require the external interconnect.

I am not going to get into the ins and outs because I don't buy amplifiers or anything else on the technology or the technobabble but on the sound. So all I can do is direct you to what AN claims -- and you can feel free to e-mail them or ignore it. With regards to the integrated amplifiers this is what Peter claims:
    The only beef I have with the comment is the implication Peter makes that all other integrated are always built with compromise to achieve a price target. When you really think about it, there isn't a product on Earth that isn't compromised in this fashion to some degree. But, that's a rather unfair comment to make. Instead of accusing companies of lining their products, why not approach it from the point of view of the consumer who doesn't want to fork out big bucks for 2 separate boxes where no audible advantages exist.

I can't speak for Bryston's integrateds, but smaller power supplies aside, a lot of integrateds aren't much different than their separate counterparts. A lot of cost is eliminated when you don't have to build 2 chassis, and buy a whole separate power supply (even small ones cost a good chunk of dough).

You can take apart an old NAD integrated (I haven't checked new models) and compare the guts to a smaller amp and pre-amp. You'd be hard pressed to find a difference in circuitry where it matters. Most of them are the same. The difference is their circuits are integrated, so there's no input/output stage on the two components in the traditional sense, just a direct feed. The power supply is generally the same size as the amplifiers, so I suppose it is disadvantaged by having to power a whole other piece of electronics, but pre-amps dont' consume much power at all and once activated don't fluctuate current demands much and won't make difference unless you overdrive the amp anyway. Arcam has been quite successful at employing this strategy. Especially with their newer a/v receivers, which are the best sounding a/v receivers I've ever heard.

Adcom even made a few integrateds for awhile, but gave up on this practice not because the product was compromised, but because their customers didn't like the marriage of both components requiring upgrading both at once. Perception drives this business more than substance, I think.

It's just a hobby

"Unlike the majority of integrated amplifiers, which are technically compromised in order to meet their price target, an Audio Note integrated amplifier is a full pre-power amplifier combination, complete with independent power supplies....
    Then maybe you can explain this quote

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Qvortrup
    The Meishu's pre-amplifier is only designed to be used with the P3 for bi-amplification it is NOT designed as a general purpose pre-amplifier.

The power amplifier section needs to be loaded with a speaker load otherwise it will, if left with signal in and no load, damage either the valves or the output transformers or both.
    On the other hand, there are products on the market when the preamp sections can be used as a general purpose amplifier.

The point you are trying to make in the second part is rather unclear, the 800D will go louder and deeper than any current production Audio Note, the 800D spec is a freefield measurement, whereas the AN-E/Spe is an in-room corner loaded measurement. Secondly, the B&Ws (800D, 802D) covers about the same equivalent bandwidth with 3 drivers that the AN-E covers with a single driver, at 8 inchs, is the same size as a single 802D bass driver and smaller than any of the bass drivers of the 801D or 800D. In addition the B&Ws have a much stronger frame as well as larger internal volume. Given all these, it is a practical impossibility given optimal driving conditions that the AN-E can go deeper or sound clearer than the B&Ws, especially <100Hz. The B&Ws have the AN-E totally whipped in the resolution and bass depth department by design and they can play louder Note the B&W can be used reasonably close to a wall, you just need to know what you are doing.
    Last edited by theaudiohobby; 03-13-2006 at 07:30 AM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I did not take time to read the thread until I noticed it was in the steel cage. I knew the dynamic duo of audio (Flo and RGA) must be at it again.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The only beef I have with the comment is the implication Peter makes that all other integrated are always built with compromise to achieve a price target. When you really think about it, there isn't a product on Earth that isn't compromised in this fashion to some degree. But, that's a rather unfair comment to make. Instead of accusing companies of lining their products, why not approach it from the point of view of the consumer who doesn't want to fork out big bucks for 2 separate boxes where no audible advantages exist.
    Well Audio Note is considering costs for the average Joe which is why they save the consumer money by putting two separate componants in one box. This is different that designing and building a new 'inferior' product to lower the price to hit a target market. The difference is that the OTO got cheaper and also got better than the M1 and P1.

Don;t get me wrong I'm not saying there are not great integrated amplifiers -- there are MANY I like and of course all companies have budget products including AN. So Peter makes compromises. That is why I think he should re-write what he has said there. I understand what he means in that he didn't go and make a compromised integrated to meet the accountants' plan, but make a less pricey version of their separates. But the M1 and P1 are technically compromised or priced to less financially well off market which is what he accused other makers of doing. In other words he is listening to the M10 and Gaku-on not the P1 and M1 or OTO (these are targetted at a budget).

I can't speak for Bryston's integrateds, but smaller power supplies aside, a lot of integrateds aren't much different than their separate counterparts. A lot of cost is eliminated when you don't have to build 2 chassis, and buy a whole separate power supply (even small ones cost a good chunk of dough).
    Well the difference is that the B60 isn't as good and it's targetted to people with less money and hopefully more efficient speakers. I'm far less interested in the technology than the result. I could care less if it's in one box or ten boxes. I prefer the Sugden A21a sound wise to a great many separates that are out there at more money. Sometimes separates are better. Both can be expensive or inexpensive -- At one time I was considering a tube preamp and two monoblocks for what would have been $497.00US from ASL. My point though was about watts -- going separates can actually provide less watts.

You can take apart an old NAD integrated (I haven't checked new models) and compare the guts to a smaller amp and pre-amp. You'd be hard pressed to find a difference in circuitry where it matters. Most of them are the same. The difference is their circuits are integrated, so there's no input/output stage on the two components in the traditional sense, just a direct feed. The power supply is generally the same size as the amplifiers, so I suppose it is disadvantaged by having to power a whole other piece of electronics, but pre-amps dont' consume much power at all and once activated don't fluctuate current demands much and won't make difference unless you overdrive the amp anyway. Arcam has been quite successful at employing this strategy. Especially with their newer a/v receivers, which are the best sounding a/v receivers I've ever heard.
    Well I can't argue this but what one company does is not what all companies do. There are several OTO amps one is a push pull -- looking at it you can;t tell the difference -- but there is a world of difference when the cover is taken off. AN simply has bulk boxes to cover the inards. I had an arcam Delta 290 integrated which has an internal switch to make it a power amp - the power amp section is identical to the Delta 290P power amp. So yes many companies use the exact same power amp. Though the separates to me sounded better than the 290. Again it's largely going to be company and design dependant.

Adcom even made a few integrateds for awhile, but gave up on this practice not because the product was compromised, but because their customers didn't like the marriage of both components requiring upgrading both at once. Perception drives this business more than substance, I think.
    I always liked Integrated if they had a preout. This way you could buy a good integrated on a budget and then later down the road buy a power amp and use the integrated's preamp. Then years later you could save up and trade the integrated in for the preamp. This is one of the best things about going with an integrated so I don;t buy Adcom's line - most others not in home theater seem to like integrated's.

That is one down side with some of AN's Integrated's in that they are matched for specific power amplifiers according to their level system approach and very likely the impedence matching.

Indeed, I'm not sure that the Ongaku even has outputs for separate add ons -- but then it was not really designed to meet a price point.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Then maybe you can explain this quote

On the other hand, there are products on the market when the preamp sections can be used as a general purpose amplifier.
    Sure I can. The Meishu is an integrated amplifier of spearates designed specifically for one another and not designed to be a price point saver. After all the Meishu is more expensive than a number of their separates. I believe that is the point he was making but I grant you it's not a clear one -- maybe he should hire a marketing department after all!

The point you are trying to make in the second part is rather unclear, the 800D will go louder and deeper than any current production Audio Note, the 800D spec is a freefield measurement, whereas the AN-E/Spe is an in-room corner loaded measurement.
    Well first the E is designed to be a corner loaded speaker so any measurement that is not an in room at roughly a normal listening distance is a rather pointless measurement to make. That is the problem -- one would need the 800D in the same room and measured the EXACT same way. Magazines and other outfits measure in a way that is not always condusive to the speaker in question which is why many of these reviewers have to make excuses for the results.

Secondly, the B&Ws (800D, 802D) covers about the same equivalent bandwidth with 3 drivers that the AN-E covers with a single driver, at 8 inchs, is the same size as a single 802D bass driver and smaller than any of the bass drivers of the 801D or 800D. In addition the B&Ws have a much stronger frame as well as larger internal volume. Given all these, it is a practical impossibility given optimal driving conditions that the AN-E can go deeper or sound clearer than the B&Ws, especially <100Hz. The B&Ws have the AN-E totally whipped in the resolution and bass depth department by design and they can play louder Note the B&W can be used reasonably close to a wall, you just need to know what you are doing.
    You're welcome to that opinion - I have been fortunate enough to hear them in the same room and B&W sure doesn't convince me or those of us there listening or selling it of this.

It's just a hobby
    You're welcome to that opinion - I have been fortunate enough to hear them in the same room and B&W sure doesn't convince me or those of us there listening or selling it of this.
    It is not opinion, it is a fact, bass depth is an objective reality and measurable in a lab. As I said in another thread it is a practical impossibilty for the AN- E is whatever guise to have more bass depth than either B&W800,801or the 802D, it simply a'int possible. As mentioned earlier AN J-Spe, I took a listen, has bass commensurate to its size and design, it sounds like a medium sized standmount that it is, corner loading notwithstanding and there is absolutely nothing to suggest that the AN-E in whatever guise will be any different.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Man you should get your low frequency hearing checked - typical of a standmount that size LOL your're a dreamer.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Sorry but this is incorrect - at least partially. What I left out is the function of the speaker. If you own 80db senstive speakers then I would agree that you would need very high wattage amplifiers to get them going. However, there is no need to buy such speakers since you can get easy to drive speakers.

High watt amps and separates also tend to generate noise not lessen it. This has always been an advantage of integrated amps over separates or pseudo hybrids like my amp. Drum beats do not hit 200-300 watts or a watt number. Most all "good" amps have significant reserves to reach loud peaks. The only advantage to high watt amps is volume capability. It takes 10 times the power to get a perceived doubling of the volume to the human ear. Thus a 100 watt amplifier will make a speaker that can handle 100 watts twice as loud as a 10 watt amp. On the other hand if you run a 100 watt amp on an 83db sensitive speaker and I run a 10 watt amp on a 95db senstive speaker (all else being equal) then my system will play louder than yours and have more headroom than yours.

High watt amps tend to require more aliasing or fixing of the signal in order for the amplifier to work properly - high power high damping factor = high negative feedback. It typically makes the graph look prettier but hardly does anything good for the sound. UHF technical advisor Paul Bergman wrote about damping factor in UHF's "The World of High Fidelity" and suggested that amps with damping factors above 40 are 'generally' best avoided. In the end it comes down to experience - I have heard more systems that have huge power power amplifiers such as Krell, YBA, Classe,Bryston etc monoblocks with speakers of not the greatest efficiency such as those from ML, HALES, Gershman Acoustics, Legacy, Wilson, PMC, etc. I have heard fewer systems of high efficiency and low powered Class A amplifiers. These carefully matched systems all have seemed to have more dynamic headroom (less compression) and some can play at significantly higher levels. It has been said that while this is true such speakers are often much bigger and offer less bass repsonse -- but that can be shown to be untrue!

The advantage of some of these speakers of course is that you the customer get far more choice -- you can use an 8 watt amp or an 80 watt amp or an 800 watt amp. And if volume level matters look for a speaker that is high efficient, and can handle a lot of watts. And such speakers also are more able to let you the customer hear the difference in sound quality of the amplifiers at good drive levels. a low watt amp will fizzle out on tough speakers but on easy to drive speakers you can compare a Krell and a SET and and neither will be running out of steam -- then you can hear what the actual amplifiers sound like.

By the way I had loads of fun with PMC and Bryston like set-ups as well - excellent build, powerful sound - but don't give up on the "polar opposite" kind of set-ups. A fellow in town here has gone to 98db sensitive speakers and 8 watt amps from having owned massive SS gear and gigantic speakers designed by Mark Levinson with subwoofers . His system will play more than loud enough for most people. The big Bryston PMC ultimately will play a bit louder but the sacrifice in subtleties and the introduction of fatigue is not a trade that I would make.
    Perhaps, but there are plenty of designs, such as H/K PA-2400 and others that take the so called negatives of high power amps into account.
    The same can be said for smaller power amps, or flea watt amps/Class A only, , they have their draw back, such as compressing the sound when they become overdriven.
    I think your statement of never hearing a 100 watt amp you like-you probably haven't heard many-some of you guys are stuck on small amps-great-but don't knock high power amps, many of us are more than happy with a well designed one.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Wow, your first post and you resurrect a thread from over 2 years ago. Impressive.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Did anyone figure out if more watts is better?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post

Watts up bobsticks?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    Yes and a pretty good explanation....
    Wattage for Stereo and Home Theaters Explained

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Watts up bobsticks?
    Clever! How do John? Good to see you about...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Yes and a pretty good explanation....
    Wattage for Stereo and Home Theaters Explained
    That was actually a good read...thanks. Far more coherent and reasoned than many of our bretheren can be at times. Something probably needs to be said about the room and system synergy as well, but then again, I have my own opinions and there's no reason to re-open old wounds.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Drum beats do not hit 200-300 watts or a watt number. Most all "good" amps have significant reserves to reach loud peaks. The only advantage to high watt amps is volume capability. It takes 10 times the power to get a perceived doubling of the volume to the human ear. Thus a 100 watt amplifier will make a speaker that can handle 100 watts twice as loud as a 10 watt amp. On the other hand if you run a 100 watt amp on an 83db sensitive speaker and I run a 10 watt amp on a 95db senstive speaker (all else being equal) then my system will play louder than yours and have more headroom than yours.
    Well, our friend RGA got this one wrong, that is for sure. Smoke was right. Depending on how loud you are listening to the music, and bass drum whack can make a short term demand of 200-300 watts. That means his 100 watt amp even with a 95db sensitive speaker will compress when pushed to that volume.

Once you get below 80hz, these signals put huge demands on a amp. That is why powered subwoofers now come with mostly 500 watts and above plate amps to drive them.

I was watching the Fifth Element last night, and watched the needles on my amps hit 250 watts on several occasions. Most of the power usage was most certainly in the bass and deep bass.

All of my systems are what most folks would consider overpowered. Why do it do this? It is because a amp with plenty of headroom presents a more relaxed presentation, and when called to deliver a short power burst, it can do it without compression or overloading.

I am with Smoke on this one.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers