Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    ....God bless ya, Fall Girl....
    LMAO! Yeah, right back at ya.

nightflier

Regarding Power, is it 1984 yet?

Yes, I see you're a site moderator. So lemme get this straight, dissenting opinions are relegated to the cage? So much for being impartial.

Frankly, it's a bit disingenuous to, on the one hand seek to exclude people who may not have had the exact experience (in this case not seeing the movie) and on the other be searching for all sorts of ways to get people to contribute to the site. As a site moderator, you have to weigh one against the other. What if instead of this being about a movie, it was about gear. Does everyone who comments about Krell amps need to be silenced if they don't own one? I owned one before, but I guess that's not good enough? By the same token, I've seen quite a few QT movies so I thought could share my opinion about the level of violence, but I guess that's not allowed either.

Look at it another way, the more people you shut out, the more everything converges to a bland and single-minded message, kind of stepford-lemming-like, if you will. Maybe this is why this site is in trouble - too many people who think the same.

"Tapping out"?...lol, do you really think that anyone was afraid of your illogic and non-factual argumentation...
    That it was non-factual, is just an opinion, but I wasn't talking about my comments causing anyone to tap out, I was talking about yours and Troy's. Feanor's no longer with us, right? I also think RGA's done with this one.

If not for Troy I'd have already ethered you hard enough to make you question your own heavily-skewed view of reality.
    Tough words from the one wielding all the power - maybe there's a problem with that.

One more OT post and I'll move this to the cage...
    While it may not have been the original topic, it has certainly become about the right to post and give opinion about said topic. I suggest you take a real hard look at what you really mean by OT. While I've certainly posted a lot of opinion peices on this site, I've also given my share of useful information, technical info, and helped people out with problems. But by narrowing down the boundaries of what is OT too much, you're also driving people away, plain and simple.

Let's hope that you're not just stiffing dissenting points of view.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    So lemme get this straight, dissenting opinions are relegated to the cage?
    Relegated? Did you have to jump through hoops to get here? Click on a different link...

While it may not have been the original topic...
    Ding, ding, ding...and there it is. After several requests from the OP that his thread be kept on-topic it's clear that this has spiraled out of control.

You wanna have the conversation? That's fine but your topic has absolutely nothing to do with the original review...a review, I might add, that a longstanding member spent some amount of time to share with us.

I suspect you'll find that I will be one of the more lenient mods out there. I welcome conversation, argumentation and even dissent...but everything has a time and a place. I didn't lock this thread (as was requested), i moved it to a more appropriate place. There are several other contentious threads going on 'round this place at the moment but they've stayed on-topic.

As far as promoting this place, the other threads, even the ones with a degree of nastiness, at least present informed viewpoints. The reader can mull through the information and decide for themselves. On the other hand, if someone Googled "Inglorious Basterds" and came to this thread I doubt they would be impressed at all of our conduct.

If you wanna debate Sharia Law, healthcare, education, or any of the many other topics that you may disagree with the masses on that's fine...hell, I'll undoubtedly participate...but let's do it in the right time and place.

nightflier
    Nice way to avoid the issue, sticks. I guess the Krell example struck a chord.

I was originally posting about the director of the movie. Just because I haven't seen the movie, does not mean I cannot comment on the director. Why is it that this is such a hard & fast line when it comes to movies, and not about any other topic on this site? Personally, as a reader of these posts, I don't mind reading another point of view from someone who may have seen other movies that establish a precedent. The rigidity about movies does nothing but to drive people away.

And just for the record, you have no way of knowing that my point of view disagrees with the masses. It obviously disagrees with your point of view, but that should in no way give you license to censor.

And, of course, you are right 'Sticky....I'm reelin' mahself back in as we speak....

But I digress...

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    And, of course, you are right 'Sticky....I'm reelin' mahself back in as we speak....

But I digress...
    Hell, now's the time to unreel it and let it fly...lol

I was originally posting about the director of the movie. Just because I haven't seen the movie, does not mean I cannot comment on the director. Why is it that this is such a hard & fast line when it comes to movies, and not about any other topic on this site? Personally, as a reader of these posts, I don't mind reading another point of view from someone who may have seen other movies that establish a precedent. The rigidity about movies does nothing but to drive people away.

And just for the record, you have no way of knowing that my point of view disagrees with the masses. It obviously disagrees with your point of view, but that should in no way give you license to censor.
    Oh my god! Get over yourself. Where did Sticks avoid the issue? You berated him for moving the thread and he responded. And he did it with class and restraint, I might add.

And CENSORED? In all of your argument, opinions, and comments. Where were you censored? Show me.

Suspended
    Can I have wonna dem beers?

Um...no, it didn't...but I'll play your game.

The correct analogy would read as follows:

Person A comes on and gives a lengthy and thoughtful review of the Krell KAV2250 which he owns and has experience with.

Person B comes and explains how he dislikes the unit because of his time spent at a dealers with the S-300i

Person A politely defers but continues on with a discussion about the properties of a specific unit.

Person B continues through multiple posts to berate his decision based on the experiences with the S-300i.

The thread soon becomes about the properties of the 300i and, frankly, starts to take a nasty turn. The original, valid intent of the OP is overtaken by petty bickering in an off-topic conversation.

Whatever. If you want to discuss/argue about torture or Amnesty International start a thread in Off-Topic. If you want to discuss violence in movies that's possibly an acceptable divergence within a thread but when you try and apply it to a movie you haven't seen and then become contentious about it...well that don't play 'round here, lawdawg.

Censor? When did I censor you?

Did I ban you? No. Did I delete the thread? No. Did I edit your posts for content? No.

I moved a thread that had become wearisome and neither resembled it's original intentions nor made the particular area of the forum very inviting.

If you wish to continue debating violence in movies in general or your abhorrence of torture by all means go ahead. I'll join in lively and spirited conversation...but I'm done explaining my decisions as a moderator.

...And stop whining like your a victim.

Well, I guess we might as well face it...Only one solution....

Rich, here...(clink)...It's been swell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCim7mmLWRA

nightflier
    Nice try, but I was talking using a single amp as an example:

Person A comes on and gives a review of the Krell KAV2250 which he owns and has experience with.

Person B comes and explains how he dislikes the sound of Krell amps based on having heard and owned several.

Person A continues on with a discussion about the properties of the Krell KAV2250, refuses to discuss the properties of Krell amps in general, and proceeds through multiple posts to berate person B.

That's a lot closer to what happened here.

As far as censoring, I am referring to any act that alters the thread. No I was not silenced, and I thank you for that.

But there is a larger problem here. I've seen it happen over and over again, especially in the movies posts. As soon as someone says they haven't seen a movie, everything else they post is dismissed. I for one would like to know what people who can provide a larger context have to offer, even if they haven't seen that one particular movie. Maybe they've seen a whole lot more related movies and their input will shed new light on the movie under discussion.

By the same token, why don't we dismiss the opinions of people who can't afford a certain piece of gear? Maybe all newbies who don't have gear that meets a certain "standard" should be dismissed as well? What kind of snobbery are we then encouraging? Not everyone can afford the gear, and likewise not everyone can sit through a QT movie. The more posters that are dismissed here, the less input you will have. It all serves to drive people away.

That my posts were off topic was an opinion, shared by you, Troy and your girlfriend. It certainly wasn't any more off topic than Feanor's post. He didn't consider his post off topic when he made it. Likewise Auric contributed and so did another person who didn't see the movie (forgot who). All their input was worth the read.

In the end, this rigid hardline that is taken on this site about what is or isn't off topic, drives people away. I suggest you discuss this with the other site moderators, because without posters, who's left to provide input, technical knowledge, and click on the ads?
    Last edited by nightflier; 09-17-2009 at 01:12 PM.

That my posts were off topic was an opinion, shared by you, Troy and your girlfriend.
    Hey Sticks, its official! I'm your girlfriend. nightflier said it so it must be true.

Don't tell my husband. He wouldn't like it.

Um...unless he was referring to Auri. I wouldn't want to make any assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Hey Sticks, its official! I'm your girlfriend. nightflier said it so it must be true.

Don't tell my husband. He wouldn't like it.

Um...unless he was referring to Auri. I wouldn't want to make any assumptions.
    I'm feeling a lil' giddy..and definetely complimented by ol' boy's assumption...but I liked yer hubby when I met him. Sticks don't roll that way...gotta keep it all above board.

Now that Auri on the other hand...them intellectual types always attract me like a moth to flames...

Awwww, geeeee, you guys!!

I think the take home in all of this is pretty straightforward. This was a movie review that went overboard before it left the ground (to mix up a couple of cliches, there). Certainly, my expounding and expanding upon the soap box was inappropriate. If I am to discourse upon PTSD or "desensitization", I should either submit to the APA journal or start my own thread....Simply put, I got rolled up in the heat of things and started hyperbolizing and conjecturizing like a Baptist minister* sermonizing to the poor heathens at AA....NF, ol' buddy, I appreciate your standing up beside me, and I owe you a beer, anytime, anywhere...'Sticky and the rest of you, it's been a hoot. The same applies to each of you as well. And Troy...you still be the man, man!

Fa: You heartless...heartbreaker!

Now, then, I say....who wants....?

*No offense (well, mebbe a li'l) to any Baptists 'round here...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I guess the argument against violence in the media takes a backseat to pride when one feels the need to take one's ball and bat and go home...

If you're refering to the previous post, I am saying this argument (debate or whatever it is) should be taken to a different thread....This was, as someone correctly pointed out, a clever review of a controversial movie. It has turned into a discussion about violence in movies, trauma, PTSD, desensitization, etc. I'm still willing to play ball, any time any where...

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    If you're refering to the previous post, I am saying this argument (debate or whatever it is) should be taken to a different thread....This was, as someone correctly pointed out, a clever review of a controversial movie. It has turned into a discussion about violence in movies, trauma, PTSD, desensitization, etc. I'm still willing to play ball, any time any where...
    ...I wasn't referring to ya at all...but, now that ya mention it, there's no point in not doin' it here since it's been moved...

...Bring watchu got...I'm here huckleberry...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information