Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Resident DVD Reviewer
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,202

    A DVD REVIEW: MEN IN BLACK - SUPERBIT EDITION (Columbia/TriStar)

    Keeping inline with a "Superbit Sale at Best Buy" discussion I was having yesterday on another home theater fanatic site that I am senior DVD reviewer for, I had the chance to review this title which I picked up for $9.99 last night; let me say this before going into the review: when I first saw this theatrically, I walked out hating it and thinking "what was the point of that? Was that supposed to be funny, cool, science fiction-like, what?" Yet over the years, the more I watched it on cable, the concept of what they were going for here (and I wasn't even aware it was actually based on a Marvel Comics series) grew on me and I understood it, and I suddenly had a new found respect for these guys who were pretty much take-no-**** alien hunters, especially Tommy Lee Jones' character who is a bad-ass and has no patience for dealing with the "alien trash" his job brings along. The sequel didn't intrigue me as much as this original, but every time it's on cable now, I stop and watch it, fascinated by the comedy that's mixed with the charisma Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones have onscreen for these roles; it's not as charming as, say, the connection Smith and Martin Lawrence have in the Bad Boys films, but there is no denying the chemistry between Jones and Smith works here.

    Before I get into the technical specifications for Columbia/TriStar's Superbit release of this title (which has been made available in no less than three other incarnations, one of which, the Deluxe Version, which I returned for this Superbit disc, was made solely to promote the sequel) let me go over the synopsis for a bit. Filmed in a comic-book-story kind of way (and yet there is no mention of Marvel's involvement in the project as their name is so boldly proclaimed in the beginnings of Spider-Man, Daredevil, The Hulk and The Punisher), MIB tells the story (which gets a little ridiculous at times, such as a sequence where an alien ship is firing at Earth, and yet no one---not our government nor NASA---know about it EXCEPT for the guys of MIB) of a secret agency known only as "MIB" which stands for "Men In Black." This agency works out of an underground, secluded New York City Bridge and Tunnel Authority building, and all their "field agents" wear all black suits with white shirts and black ties, along with black sunglasses. The film's premise is that there are actual aliens from other worlds living amongst our society, some of which are even pretending to be celebrities we all know, such as Dennis Rodman and Michael Jackson (which, if taken literally is not that far of a stretch, but overall is just too silly of a notion). MIB's mission is to monitor this alien life on our planet and make sure the average public doesn't know about them or any plans they may have.

    In one of the opening sequences, an alien spacecraft crash lands in what appears to be a farmhouse occupied by an obnoxious and verbally abusive husband in overalls, who proceeds to go outside and see what happened. He is immediately "absorbed" by the alien which has crashed into the farm land, this alien being a very large, nasty-looking cockroach-type of lifeform which takes the shape of this farmer now because it has plans on Earth that MIB cannot be made aware of. Enter Will Smith, who comedically plays a New York City detective who we see chasing down a suspect through the streets --- a suspect which he cannot seem to catch no matter how fast he runs after him; the suspect makes some gravity-defying leaps from buildings and such, as well, leading Smith to believe this is not your ordinary criminal. Upon confronting the fleeing suspect up on a rooftop, the man makes some strange comments about the world coming to an end, as his eyes exhibit a very strange vertical "blinking" which leads Smith to mutter "what the hell are you........" before the man leaps to what seems like a suicide off the building.

    Upon returning to police headquarters, Smith is questioned by internal affairs about what happened during this chase, and explained the strange eye movements of this suspect --- when Tommy Lee Jones, a senior member of MIB, arrives at the police station with a secret weapon which erases the memories of folks who may have been exposed to alien lifeforms so they dont remember anything they may have seen or heard; Jones arrives to talk to Smith because he was made aware of the fact that Smith chased down a very fast alien (which he thought was a robbery suspect) by foot, and that impressed Jones, who is looking to recruit a new member for the Men in Black. He makes a proposal to Smith to join the organization, after explaining that they monitor and police actual alien life forms living on Earth disguised as humans, and after thinking about it for a night, Smith decides to join up.....in a most amusing part of the film, Smith arrives at MIB headquarters to brag about his "skills" as a police officer, while he is given a written test along with other candidates for the job, mainly from the U.S. military. When a shooting test then ensues, Smith, out of all the other candidates, ends up shooting the representation of a little girl instead of all the aliens that were coming after them in the simulation; after being asked by Rip Torn's character why Smith found a need to shoot this cardboard cutout of the girl instead of the aliens, his reply is pretty hilarious.

    And so Smith becomes a new member of Men in Black----being given the rules that from this point on, his identity will be completely wiped out, with no hint that he was ever even born, erasing his fingerprints, history, personal documentation-----everything. He puts on his new black suit and assumes his new title-----simply as "AGENT J" (as Jones is AGENT K).

    From here, the film gets funny in many places, as Smith is sent on his first few new assignments with Smith, and gets a tour of the Men in Black facility, where strange looking aliens are everywhere----pouring coffee in a break room, operating computers, etc. Smith's first REAL field assignment with Jones makes for a funny moment, as Jones goes after an alien (disguised as a normal human man) attempting to leave the confines of New York City illegally; they pull this guy over and as Smith questions him about his alien intentions, Smith is busy being whipped around by an alien "squid" creature which is being given birth to by the man's wife in the backseat of the car; its a pretty funny scene. Once Smith is covered in the squid baby's "vomit," Jones asks him, once back in the car, "Did any of that seem strange to you?" Smith's facial response is classic.

    The film then switches focus to this alien cockroach creature in the farmer's body and what his mission is on Earth, which seems to be to secure a "galaxy" which is actually the size of a small marble and belongs to an enemy alien race which is also on Earth. The "bug" as it is known, must secure this "galaxy" (which ends up around the neck of a cat which beloned to one of the enemy aliens of this bug creature) and the resulting possession of this item will cause an interstellar war, which the Men in Black are caught right in the middle of, as the race who wants this "galaxy" back from the cockroach alien creature threaten to destroy Earth if they dont get it back; the plot at this point gets a bit silly, but you have to just go with it. Like I said earlier, there is a part when this alien battlecruiser hovering above Earth takes some shots at our planet as warnings to "deliver this galaxy" to them, but yet the U.S. government never saw this giant spaceship coming towards Earth and firing weapons at us, nor did NASA? ONLY the Men in Black knew about this ship? This seemed a little far fetched. Sure, the whole premise of these films is that the Men in Black possess these weapons which allow them to erase people's memories so they dont actually remember seeing aliens on Earth --- but how do they explain being able to cover up this giant space ship taking pot shots at our planet?

    At any rate, its all in good fun, and then the film leads into (a rather hot looking) Linda Fiorintino, working for the city morgue, who has the dead bodies of the aliens killed by the cockroach creature sent to her lab; Smith and Jones arrive to investigate the bodies, knowing they're aliens, but needing to keep it under wraps so Fiorintino doesn't catch wind of whats going on----that is, until her and Smith are witness to one of the what appears to be a human head opening up on one of the victims, exposing a small green alien inside who was using the outer human shell just as a disguise. Just before dying, the alien mentions something about "the galaxy being on Orion's belt" and that the only way to stop war with the cockroach creatures is to secure this "galaxy" --- which eventually they figure out is around the neck of a cat named, you guessed it, "Orion." The cockroach creature hiding in the farmer's body discovers the location of this "galaxy" as well, and takes Fiorintio hostage from the morge as he finds the galaxy around the cat's neck and steals it just as Smith and Jones arrive back at the morgue.

    The strange kicker at the end comes when this cockroach creature has Fiorintino drive him to an area in Queens, New York, where the World's Fair was once held outside of New York's Shea Stadium (where the New York Mets play); it seems there are two towers there (which actually DO stand in this real area of New York; I have been there) which have actual working spaceships of some kind on top of them----this premise gets even sillier than the other plots I described earlier; the cockroach creature's plan is to steal this "galaxy" and leave Earth, even though the enemy alien race is ready to wipe out Earth if the Men in Black dont get this galaxy back from the bug creature. Smith and Jones arrive at the Queens, New York location where the bug is attempting to escape in the spaceship on top of these towers, but the Men in Black blast the ship with special weaponry which brings the ship down into an exploding fireball (after flying over Shea Stadium during a Mets baseball game, making an outfielder miss a ball which hits him in the head and knocks him out because he was staring at the UFO flying overhead---its pretty funny). Smith and Jones ready their laser shotgun weapons as the bug creature makes its way out of the crashed ship, still hiding in the farmer's body.....but when he is advised by Smith to "put your hands on your head and step away from your busted ass vehicle," the bug sheds its human skin and shows itself for what it really is-----a MASSIVE cockroach-like creature which simply kicks Smith and Jones around like they're plastic figurines. When the creature sucks down their shotgun weapons, Jones intentionally has the creature eat him, so once inside his body, he can grab the gun and blast his way out from inside his digestive system. In the meantime, Smith is attempting anything to avoid the bug getting on that ship and leaving Earth --- throwing rocks at the creature, waving fireballs and yelling "Where you goin'? Just gonna eat and run, huh? What about desert? This party's just gettin' started....."

    But as the creature is halfway up the ladder leading to the spaceship, Smith steps on and crushes some real cockroaches that are crawling around outside a dumpster, making the bug creature jump back down and head for Smith, really pissed off. Seems this is the big bad bug's "soft spot" which he uses to distract the alien while Jones is inside his stomach, getting ready to blast his way out, which he does, splitting the alien roach in two. But as they sit there covered in bug slime, Jones and Smith are not aware of the fact that the bug is indeed not dead----until it jumps up from behind them and Fiorintino blasts it with one of their guns, saying "interesting job you guys have....." This sets up the end of the film, where Jones advises Smith that he is stepping down from the job and wants Smith to take over his position (which changes in the sequel, as Jones comes back as a member of MIB once again); Smith uses the memory flasher device on Jones, who goes back to his wife he left years ago to join MIB.....in the meantime, in replacement, Fiorintino becomes Smith's new partner to end the film.

    This a fun, leave-your-brain-at-the-door comedic take at science fiction which takes repeat viewings to really appreciate; at least it did for me. You simply must get past the downright silliness of it all at times. I think this first one is better than the sequel, while with the Bad Boys films, I think the second one upped the first one. At any rate, let's take a look at Columbia's SUPERBIT preperation for this title, which has had multiple releases already to say the least.

    VIDEO SPECIFICATIONS:
    As all SUPERBIT titles do, the film is presented in its original widescreen presentation, which filled my screen with no letterboxing, indicating this was definitely not a 2:35 or 2:40 aspect ratio; for all Columbia's marketing hype about their Superbit technology and how the elimination of extra features and commentary tracks frees up bitrate space for video and audio quality, there were actual signs of grain in certain scenes on this transfer. Dont get me wrong----for the most part, it IS the typical Superbit show-no-flaws type of print with rich colors and a smooth overall look, yet I was surprised when moments of grain popped up in certain scenes and then suddenly dissapeared.

    AUDIO SPECIFICATIONS:
    Most home theater enthusiasts --- if not all --- look to Columbia's usually more expensive line of Superbit titles for the inclusion of a DTS audio track which would otherwise not be available on a "standard" release of a title from this studio; all Superbit titles carry a Dolby Digital AND DTS track choice, as the studio's marketing intentions with this line of product was to cater to hardcore home theater enthusisats. I sure was bitten with THAT bug, and try and upgrade and/or buy Superbit titles when I can, as I have found --- especially and most notably with Black Hawk Down --- somewhat night and day differences mainly with the audio tracks on these Superbit titles when compared to their original releases.

    Running the DTS mix for this film, I gotta say.....while DEFINITELY rich in dialogue, dynamic and with lots of "energy" behind the mix, this track didn't "wow me" as expected; I detected a slight --- VERY slight --- lack of surround usage, and tended to think most of the audio was coming from the front soundstage. But there ARE definite moments of directionality use from the surrounds, such as when the cockroach's ship is crashing at the end in front of Smith and Jones, and the scene where Smith accidentally launches a wild ball-thing of some kind and it whips around the MIB offices; we can hear this thing ping from channel to channel during the scene, and it was pretty effective, although I was simply expecting something a BIT more satisfying from this Superbit release, audio wise.

    Of course, this being a Superbit title, the disc was devoid of extras to free up bitrate space.

    In summary, this was 10 bucks well spent, because aside from the fact that I had no use for the second disc of extras on the Deluxe Edition of this title, it must be assumed that the Superbit is the best the film is going to look and sound, so it would be a mistake to go with any other more expensive version of this title on DVD----that is, until that Superbit sale at Best Buy ends.

    Hurry up friends, if you're Superbit fans, because those 10 buck Superbits aren't going to last......get over to your local Best Buy when you can.....

    Happy viewing, friends!

  2. #2
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    there were actual signs of grain in certain scenes on this transfer. Dont get me wrong----for the most part, it IS the typical Superbit show-no-flaws type of print with rich colors and a smooth overall look, yet I was surprised when moments of grain popped up in certain scenes and then suddenly dissapeared.
    This is interesting, I reviewed this movie for Surround Sound Inc magazine about three months ago, I found so signs of grain or video noise whatsoever on this DVD. There is usually pre-filtering used in Superbit titles, and you have to look VERY hard to find any noise. Not saying that it might not be there, but in this particular title I couldn't find any. The correct aspect ratio is 1:85:1. There is a slight red push to this film giving flesh tones a pinkish

    I detected a slight --- VERY slight --- lack of surround usage, and tended to think most of the audio was coming from the front soundstage.
    This is not the kind of movie that commands a constant surround usage. However, there is alot of low lying background signals that could easily get lost in the background noise of a typical living space. However I found that surround usage appropriate for the film, and was aggressive when called for.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  3. #3
    Resident DVD Reviewer
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,202
    "This is interesting, I reviewed this movie for Surround Sound Inc magazine about three months ago, I found so signs of grain or video noise whatsoever on this DVD."

    Well I sure did in VERY rare instances and spots, where the grain would pop up and then instantly return to is fairly beautiful Superbit color rich roots; but these were VERY rare spots and lasted for only seconds, if that --- perhaps that should have been explained in the review better.

    "There is usually pre-filtering used in Superbit titles, and you have to look VERY hard to find any noise. Not saying that it might not be there, but in this particular title I couldn't find any."

    In the case of BLACK HAWK DOWN in Superbit, the grain, dirt and artifacting thrown into the print was completely intentional for effect on director Scott's behalf; here, I did notice SOME grain and noise----NOTHING distracting, but apparent in SOME dark scenes on my screen. You do indeed need to look very closely on Superbit titles to find noise and dirt.

    "The correct aspect ratio is 1:85:1."

    Yes, I know. No letterboxing appeared on my screen during critical analysis playback.

    "This is not the kind of movie that commands a constant surround usage."

    I disagree; this is comedic sci fi at its best and in my opinion had some missed opportunities for more surround usage.

    "However, there is alot of low lying background signals that could easily get lost in the background noise of a typical living space."

    Sure; I think I found the same. Quieter surround moments that really need to be critically LISTENED for.

    "However I found that surround usage appropriate for the film, and was aggressive when called for."

    Agreed.

  4. #4
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    This is not the kind of movie that commands a constant surround usage."
    I disagree; this is comedic sci fi at its best and in my opinion had some missed opportunities for more surround usage.

    Because this is comedic sci fi does not mean that the surrounds should be in constant use. Keep in mind that all film is front loaded, and the use of the surrounds when it's not really appropriate can be a distraction. The surrounds should only be used when it enhances the story line. It is not dependent on the genre of movie at all. I think the sound designers did a very appropriate job enhancing the story line of this movie. Any more would have been an overkill and a distraction.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  5. #5
    Resident DVD Reviewer
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,202
    "Because this is comedic sci fi does not mean that the surrounds should be in constant use"

    It sure reads that way, but its not the way it was INTENDED to come across; dont misinterpret thinking that I thought BECAUSE something falls under a certain genre that it SHOULD ABSOLUTELY call for more surround usage --- in THIS PARTICULAR CASE, it is of MY opinion, and others who have viewed this Superbit title and reviewed it that I know of, that I DETECTED a shortage of surround information-----I am merely reporting what I heard upon analyzing the disc and stating that I believe it could have used more back cues --- NOT BECAUSE it is what it is, but because it just COULD have.

    "Keep in mind that all film is front loaded, and the use of the surrounds when it's not really appropriate can be a distraction."

    According to engineers such as yourself; as a reviewer who writes to home theater fanatics via print publications and online, it is my job to report when I suspect such shortages of surround information and for the most part it is an unenjoyable aspect of watching a science fiction film where you're expecting more to be going on behind and around you-----especially during scenes where it seems like it would benefit.


    "The surrounds should only be used when it enhances the story line. It is not dependent on the genre of movie at all. I think the sound designers did a very appropriate job enhancing the story line of this movie. Any more would have been an overkill and a distraction."

    You "think" is the operative word here ---- and I THINK they could have used more time in the studio preparing rear channel information for missed scene opportunities which would correspond with onscreen action a bit better; I was merely REPORTING that I DETECTED a shortage of surround usage on the DTS track; REPORTED IT.....when you read online DVD reviews, this is what you see plenty of:

    "Where was the surround information?"
    "Cues were limited to the front soundstage"
    "Wow.....all channels are being utilized here...."

    Etc.

    At any rate, do not get me wrong------this was a rich, explosive track at times with slight moments of deep LFE that I was able to detect; I feel that it was more center-heavy as is my job to report as a reviewer.

  6. #6
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Because this is comedic sci fi does not mean that the surrounds should be in constant use"

    It sure reads that way, but its not the way it was INTENDED to come across; dont misinterpret thinking that I thought BECAUSE something falls under a certain genre that it SHOULD ABSOLUTELY call for more surround usage --- in THIS PARTICULAR CASE, it is of MY opinion, and others who have viewed this Superbit title and reviewed it that I know of, that I DETECTED a shortage of surround information-----I am merely reporting what I heard upon analyzing the disc and stating that I believe it could have used more back cues --- NOT BECAUSE it is what it is, but because it just COULD have.
    You consistantly mention "others" when trying to justify an unjustifiable point. Who are these others, and why do you consistantly failed to be more specific when making your point? All of the other reviews that I have read online and in print do not support your views at all. DVD review reads as follows

    http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/DVD/1418.shtml

    In their review, they don't second guess what the sound designers do, the just report it. And in that reporting, there is no mention that any extra surround effects should be added.

    Here is what DVDfile has to say about this soundtrack.
    http://www.dvdfile.com/

    Search for Men in Black Superbit. It makes no mention that this soundtrack lacks anything, or should have added anything as well. A professional reviewer does not try to second guess a sound designer, they just report what they hear. Most reviewers(like yourself) are not qualified to make these kinds of editorial second guess decisions, and most professional editors would never allow such opinions to appear in there mags or website.


    "Keep in mind that all film is front loaded, and the use of the surrounds when it's not really appropriate can be a distraction."

    According to engineers such as yourself; as a reviewer who writes to home theater fanatics via print publications and online, it is my job to report when I suspect such shortages of surround information and for the most part it is an unenjoyable aspect of watching a science fiction film where you're expecting more to be going on behind and around you-----especially during scenes where it seems like it would benefit.
    What print publication do you write for? I know that you do your reviews for hometheaterdiscussion, but it doesn't even come close to the traffic this website see's, so it is well below the radar IMO. And what qualifies you to judge the amount of surround activity a movie should have? Did you go to film school and study film sound? Have you ever designed a soundtrack for a film? Have you ever supervised or did consulting on a mixing session? The answer is clearly no. Apparently director Barry Sonnenfield who supervises ALL of his films mixes wanted just what he received. He approved the mix, so why do you think you can second guess him?


    "The surrounds should only be used when it enhances the story line. It is not dependent on the genre of movie at all. I think the sound designers did a very appropriate job enhancing the story line of this movie. Any more would have been an overkill and a distraction."

    You "think" is the operative word here ---- and I THINK they could have used more time in the studio preparing rear channel information for missed scene opportunities which would correspond with onscreen action a bit better; I was merely REPORTING that I DETECTED a shortage of surround usage on the DTS track; REPORTED IT.....when you read online DVD reviews, this is what you see plenty of:

    "Where was the surround information?"
    "Cues were limited to the front soundstage"
    "Wow.....all channels are being utilized here...."
    Well what I think is apparently what Barry thinks, which is contrary to what you think. Who do you think folks that read you reviews should believe? Every interview I have read on Barry supervising his sound mixes says that he is a aggressive user of the surroundfield. All of the DVD reviews I have read on this movie support that stance. What do you know that Barry and I don't? You do not have a film background and therefore you are not qualified to decide how much, or how little the surround speakers should be used. And more importantly, you are not qualified to second guess those who have been doing movies longer than you have been on this planet.

    I pointed to just two review that do not support any of the question you have PERSONALLY raised, can you direct me to where these quotes are?
    .

    At any rate, do not get me wrong------this was a rich, explosive track at times with slight moments of deep LFE that I was able to detect; I feel that it was more center-heavy as is my job to report as a reviewer.
    Since you are unable or unwilling to be more specific about the publications you write for, I am inclined to believe that they are limited to hometheaterdiscussion and that is it. It is your job to review the movie as is, not interject your opinion on how it should be. Once you venture pass just reporting the facts and go into what you think it should be, you begin to designate yourself as superior to the director himself. If you were truely honest with yourself, you know this is not reality. Reporters report the news, they don't make or remake it. You are trying to remake it, and that is not a "reporters" job. As far as I have read(and I do check my facts before disputing someone elses) nobody supports the contention that more surround use would have benefitted this movie. You are singular in your opinion, and so far the facts bare that out. To thine ownself be true DJ scotty.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  7. #7
    Resident DVD Reviewer
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,202
    LMFAO.....LMFAO....

    Listen people, no matter what The Terrible is trying to prove with his useless hyperbole, the results I found on the Men In Black Superbit DVD were just as you read them, trust me. This rhetoric you see above my reply here is coming from someone who snoops around from internet site to internet site trying to "hunt people down" and "locate them" to have them banned from membership based sites----ooooooooooooooooh------thats impressive, friends. LOL.

    TRUST ME when I tell you that I have contributed to books such as DVD ETC during their DVD review roundup specials and also Home Theater Magazine, of which I am an active editorial member, regardless of what Terrence says here and no matter how many times he tries to say otherwise. I do hold the proof, friends.

    Keep enjoying the reviews!

  8. #8
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    LMFAO.....LMFAO....

    Listen people, no matter what The Terrible is trying to prove with his useless hyperbole, the results I found on the Men In Black Superbit DVD were just as you read them, trust me. This rhetoric you see above my reply here is coming from someone who snoops around from internet site to internet site trying to "hunt people down" and "locate them" to have them banned from membership based sites----ooooooooooooooooh------thats impressive, friends. LOL.
    Trust you? Someone who uses in-ceiling surround speakers of unknown origin and timbre coincidence to make editorial judgment calls about the surround usage on a DVD soundtrack? Those might be your observations, but an audio system like the one described in your tagline has very limited applicability for others who might use a timbre matched alignment that better approximates established industry standards. Trying to discredit Terrence, someone who does use a timbre matched and calibrated system, as a means of somehow lending your own reviews more credibility is a pretty shaky foundation from which to support your views.

    Judging from your behavior on Home Theater Discussion, you did more than enough on your own accord to get yourself banned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    TRUST ME when I tell you that I have contributed to books such as DVD ETC during their DVD review roundup specials and also Home Theater Magazine, of which I am an active editorial member, regardless of what Terrence says here and no matter how many times he tries to say otherwise. I do hold the proof, friends.
    Hold the proof? No, you merely provide opinions. If we don't take it as fact, it's for good reason.

    Active editorial member of Home Theater Magazine? Well, I didn't see any citations to that effect in the current issue, whether as a contributor or editorial board member. Besides, if you're as much of a professional as you repeatedly claim to be, you don't need to go trumpeting your credentials constantly. You'd let your work speak for itself, and not have to resort to personal attacks anytime someone contradicts your so-called "proof." Guys I've known over the years who work as full-time entertainment journalists/reviewers don't ever have to make self-references in their articles because their work stands on its own.

  9. #9
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    LMFAO.....LMFAO....

    Listen people, no matter what The Terrible is trying to prove with his useless hyperbole, the results I found on the Men In Black Superbit DVD were just as you read them, trust me. This rhetoric you see above my reply here is coming from someone who snoops around from internet site to internet site trying to "hunt people down" and "locate them" to have them banned from membership based sites----ooooooooooooooooh------thats impressive, friends. LOL.

    TRUST ME when I tell you that I have contributed to books such as DVD ETC during their DVD review roundup specials and also Home Theater Magazine, of which I am an active editorial member, regardless of what Terrence says here and no matter how many times he tries to say otherwise. I do hold the proof, friends.

    Keep enjoying the reviews!
    So you think that my valueable time is spent chasing after you, and getting you banned from hometheaterdiscussion? Wow, you sure think pretty highly of yourself. The reality is YOUR actions got you banned. You attacked me on that website, and I didn't even know who you were. You have had two monikers here, To live and die in LA, and Lexmark3200. I had never even heard of DJ Scotty until you started cussing me out. Your problem is that you cannot take correction, you do not heed constuctive direction, and you balk at constructive critisizm. Rather than learning from these things, you reject and attack. Not much maturity in these kinds of actions.

    I am in the process of designing and building a 3 million dollar recording studio. Right now I do not have time to deal with a movie reviewer wannabe, who goes to different DVD based websites, floods their review forums with his reviews, and then proclaims himself an "official: reviewer. I do not have time to argue with a person who makes claims that they write for publications and websites without providing at least a shred of proof this is so. I do not have time for a person who claims they are a "professional reviewer" and uses a mid fi entry level system as a reference for their reviews. Believe you me, I have never been one to major in minors.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  10. #10
    Resident DVD Reviewer
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,202
    LIKE I SAID everyone.....a bunch of hot air from this so-called "professional" who has nothing better to do than sneak around the internet and "chase people" from sites by complaining to administration about their lack of reviewing abilities, which is an absolute and outright JOKE because my articles are praised by many members of the press and critics alike on different sites and via written letters to the publications I write for. I don't need to defend myself against his accusations on anything, but just know that whatever he is saying about everything is completely and utterly untrue as he is (as always) trying to prove a point that he is simply "better than everyone" on the planet in terms of audio knowledge and actually ENJOYS belittling others' work.....trust me on this one folks, it was NOT my actions, but HIS and I DID NOT attack him on another site, which I am still having investigated in terms of what was said exactly; he came in, joined and harassed every thread that I made with the intention----and ONE intention only----of trying to belittle my written work and results during review stages; but he cannot because I am employed by folks who feel the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he "says"....just join me in the comedy play which we have here.....one of a so called "pro" following someone around the internet to belittle them with nothing more to do.

    Quite a pity, if you ask me.

    BELIEVE everything I said about the Men In Black Superbit disc, as THOSE were the exact findings, technically, of the disc audio and video wise; it was confirmed for me by a personal e mail to Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits.com that indeed these characteristics on the MIB Superbit disc do exist and he even felt that more surround usage could have been in order.

  11. #11
    Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Lower AL
    Posts
    2,838
    You guys need to break it up, lighten up and come play the dream theater game.

  12. #12
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    You guys need to break it up, lighten up and come play the dream theater game.
    Okay Dean(as he kicks the dirt and lowers his head) I'm coming.....
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  13. #13
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    LIKE I SAID everyone.....a bunch of hot air from this so-called "professional" who has nothing better to do than sneak around the internet and "chase people" from sites by complaining to administration about their lack of reviewing abilities, which is an absolute and outright JOKE because my articles are praised by many members of the press and critics alike on different sites and via written letters to the publications I write for. I don't need to defend myself against his accusations on anything, but just know that whatever he is saying about everything is completely and utterly untrue as he is (as always) trying to prove a point that he is simply "better than everyone" on the planet in terms of audio knowledge and actually ENJOYS belittling others' work.....trust me on this one folks, it was NOT my actions, but HIS and I DID NOT attack him on another site, which I am still having investigated in terms of what was said exactly; he came in, joined and harassed every thread that I made with the intention----and ONE intention only----of trying to belittle my written work and results during review stages; but he cannot because I am employed by folks who feel the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he "says"....just join me in the comedy play which we have here.....one of a so called "pro" following someone around the internet to belittle them with nothing more to do.

    Quite a pity, if you ask me.

    BELIEVE everything I said about the Men In Black Superbit disc, as THOSE were the exact findings, technically, of the disc audio and video wise; it was confirmed for me by a personal e mail to Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits.com that indeed these characteristics on the MIB Superbit disc do exist and he even felt that more surround usage could have been in order.
    You still have not answered a direct and straight forward question. Name the publications that you work for, and do not say Hometheater magazine because there is absolutely no proof that you work for this magazine. You continuously name unnamed sources which leads to your lack of credibility. Who are these sources that compliment you, and where is a link to these so called compliments?

    Also, please read the review of Men in Black on Bill Hunts website.

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/meninblack.html

    The digital bits gave the Dts sound a A rating. Now why would he allow this glowing review of this soundtrack to be posted on his website if he disagreed with the reviewer findings? Why wouldn't he not add a tag that stated his opinion was different from the reviewers?

    DJ(yeah your a spin doctor alright) you are faking, shaking, lying and flying man. You are faking your claims, shaking false credentials around, lying through your teeth, and flying right through your lies with more lies. Just keep on posting, we at audioreview are peeling you back like a onion, and what we see is very disturbing. I am through with this, perpetrators bore me to tears. Anybody have a drink!!
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  14. #14
    Resident DVD Reviewer
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,202
    Remember, everyone.....all this you are reading above is coming from a "man" who claims to be a professional and chases people around the internet from site to site to discredit them-----REMEMBER these words I am telling you because it's an absolute joke if you ask me.......but he DOES make me laugh little does he know of my credentials and abilities......

    Remember everyone: lies, lies, lies and more lies from Mr. Terrible, who merely exists to discredit others-----he has NO other purpose on our planet. Oh, and also to chase people around the internet and try to have them "thrown off" websites when they're work is taken in a "absolutely fine" manner. Remember closely: it doesn't MATTER what he says: HE is the one lying and doing this to simply make HIMSELF seem smarter and discredit someone else's work, which simply will not happen.

    By the way people: with regard to this moron's post regarding Bill Hunt of the DIGITAL BITS, it was a PRIVATE E MAIL CONVERSATION I HAD WITH HIM BECAUSE I KNOW HIM PERSONALLY and he ADMITTED to me that the sound mix on MEN IN BLACK COULD have used more surround information on the DTS Superbit mix.

    Remember people......lies, lies, lies lies and more lies to make HIM self look and feel better.....

    Oh yes.....AND, with regard to Sir Terrence's "letting in" of information to Wooch over there about my involvement on another site-----DO NOT believe ANY of that; this was planned from the beginning, believe me, folks, it had NOTHING to do with my behavior over there and it's STILL being looked into via private e mail conversations with Ray Cruz, administrator for the site.....it's funny how Terrence tells Wooch about what happens between us on other sites, and etc etc etc like a bunch of pathetic children; no affect to me, of course, because I could care less.

    With regard to in-ceiling surrounds being unidentified, I CLEARLY stated that someone could private message me for explanations regarding this and why that's in the signature; there is a clear reason for this.

    REMEMBER everyone: because Wooch and Terrence are trying to discredit me, even claiming that the current issue of Home Theater doesn't have my involvement (which it doesn't this month----I am on a freelance basis for them for DVD review roundups as of last month) how would he know that? Read VERY carefully between the lines here, people.....I am telling you the truth. And his bull**** about me not being a "spin doctor" is also an outright LIE----I owned a successful mobile disc jockey business in Long Island, New York called Ultimate DJs Productions.

    Remember everyone: hot air, hot air, hot air......from people who have NOTHING better to do than come along and discredit others......

    But it doesn't matter. I will continue supplying informative, entertaining, accurate reviews for you!

    I'm also getting the feeling.....and shhhhhhhhhhhhhh everyone keep this between you and me, okay? LOL.....that Sir Terrible has some kind of personality disorder that needs medication, perhaps Lithium, because I knew someone taking the drug who REALLY needed it to stabilize.....he appears to be nice one minute, exhibiting pleasant, knowledge-inspiring, cinema-discussing characteristics willing to speak with a civil tongue in his raspy mouth, and then the next he is attacking someone and following them around the internet system to "discredit" them....lol....it makes me laugh, but it is sad because I really do believe he needs medication for this; it is something that should not be taken lightly by him or his family-----or Wooch, who could probably use a couple of tablets himself or at least a zap of electroshock on the table. But there is definitely a personality disorder in place here.....believe me....I have witnessed it from site to site as he tries desperately to discredit those he feels are beneath him. It really is funny......

    Enjoy your end of the week, Dean, friends and everyone playing the trivia game in this thread!

  15. #15
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Remember, everyone.....all this you are reading above is coming from a "man" who claims to be a professional and chases people around the internet from site to site to discredit them-----REMEMBER these words I am telling you because it's an absolute joke if you ask me.......but he DOES make me laugh little does he know of my credentials and abilities......

    Remember everyone: lies, lies, lies and more lies from Mr. Terrible, who merely exists to discredit others-----he has NO other purpose on our planet. Oh, and also to chase people around the internet and try to have them "thrown off" websites when they're work is taken in a "absolutely fine" manner. Remember closely: it doesn't MATTER what he says: HE is the one lying and doing this to simply make HIMSELF seem smarter and discredit someone else's work, which simply will not happen.
    Frankly, Terrence's knowledge of home theater topics, as expressed thru his posts on this board since I've been here, leaves no doubt as to his credentials. On the other hand, the information (and misinformation) contained in some of your posts, and your persistent defensiveness anytime someone has a dissenting opinion or questions your "facts", leaves plenty of doubt as to the validity of your credentials. That you have to keep inserting self-references into your posts, does no favors to your credibility either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Oh yes.....AND, with regard to Sir Terrence's "letting in" of information to Wooch over there about my involvement on another site-----DO NOT believe ANY of that; this was planned from the beginning, believe me, folks, it had NOTHING to do with my behavior over there and it's STILL being looked into via private e mail conversations with Ray Cruz, administrator for the site.....it's funny how Terrence tells Wooch about what happens between us on other sites, and etc etc etc like a bunch of pathetic children; no affect to me, of course, because I could care less.
    No "letting in" whatsoever -- the kind of insinuation you're engaging in borders on paranoia. Terrence posted a reference that you were crossposting reviews on the Home Theater Discussion site, so I went there. Didn't take much surfing around on that site to find more of your thin-skinned rants -- and the site moderator's announcement that you'd been banned, and for other members on the site to report any new posts that you might put up under an alternative screen name. Link is below. People can read it and decide for themselves whether you're in good standing, as you claimed you were for EVERY board that you're a part of.

    http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com...ead.php?t=5767

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    REMEMBER everyone: because Wooch and Terrence are trying to discredit me, even claiming that the current issue of Home Theater doesn't have my involvement (which it doesn't this month----I am on a freelance basis for them for DVD review roundups as of last month) how would he know that? Read VERY carefully between the lines here, people.....I am telling you the truth. And his bull**** about me not being a "spin doctor" is also an outright LIE----I owned a successful mobile disc jockey business in Long Island, New York called Ultimate DJs Productions.
    Telling the truth? I have the current issue of Home Theater. One of your introductory threads on Home Theater Discussion had your real name in the signature. Not hard to do a quick glance over at the publisher/editorial info in a magazine and see that your name is nowhere in sight, yet here you are claiming yourself as an "active editorial member."

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Remember everyone: hot air, hot air, hot air......from people who have NOTHING better to do than come along and discredit others......
    Not exactly difficult to discredit someone who does such a great at shooting himself in the foot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    I'm also getting the feeling.....and shhhhhhhhhhhhhh everyone keep this between you and me, okay? LOL.....that Sir Terrible has some kind of personality disorder that needs medication, perhaps Lithium, because I knew someone taking the drug who REALLY needed it to stabilize.....he appears to be nice one minute, exhibiting pleasant, knowledge-inspiring, cinema-discussing characteristics willing to speak with a civil tongue in his raspy mouth, and then the next he is attacking someone and following them around the internet system to "discredit" them....lol....it makes me laugh, but it is sad because I really do believe he needs medication for this; it is something that should not be taken lightly by him or his family-----or Wooch, who could probably use a couple of tablets himself or at least a zap of electroshock on the table. But there is definitely a personality disorder in place here.....believe me....I have witnessed it from site to site as he tries desperately to discredit those he feels are beneath him. It really is funny......
    Y'mean, if I take some meds or "a zap of electroshock on the table," I can post from the same kind of mindset that you've got on display for all to see? Sounds exciting, but I never had a thing for paranoia or thin-skinned defensiveness or delusional hubris, know what I mean? Thanks, but I'll have to decline your offer.

    Yup, your posts REALLY look like they're the product of a sound and stable and oh-so-secure mind! For all the time that you spend attacking people who disagree with you, you could've calibrated your audio setup, or even mowed a few lawns around the neighborhood or flipped a few burgers, so that you could afford some timbre matched surrounds. Oh well, misplaced priorities are such a pity sometimes.

  16. #16
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,326
    One of the problems of posting movie reviews in a Forum setting is that your review will draw critque. In a forum setting that is natural, and debate is incouraged here. If that's a problem then your going to find posting reviews very problematic here. Nobody is "ganging up on you" by disagreeing with your review, or calling some of your statments out.

    While there's been no flame war as of yet, this thread has moved so far off course that I think it's best to end it here. If you guys want to continue with it I am moving a copy of this thread to the "Steel Cage" forum.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

  17. #17
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    Lex always gets a hair up his a$$ on his reviews. Lex needs to remember what he see's and hears could be different then what someone else see's and hears. Just as a movie,i liked MIB. It was a fun movie.
    Look & Listen

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 09:23 AM
  2. Lost Boys SE & Black Hawk Down Superbit
    By Lexmark3200 in forum Favorite Films
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 10:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •