Ajani

Zu Audio Soul Superfly - Yeah Baby!!! :)

Wow, Zu Audio has some funky products and the new Soul and Soul Superfly are perfect examples:

http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/soul.html

Efficiency: 101 dB 1W/1m
    Impedance: 16 Ohm nominal

Prices for Soul and Soul Superfly are $1800 and $2600 (Global Direct Prices)... Daaaaummm... Not sure why I'd need a 101db speaker with my 300watt amp, but the Soul looks funky and since the price includes shipping, it certainly makes it tempting... I can't wait to read some reviews...

Oh and RGA (if you find your way into this thread) you need to review a pair!!!

Can a speaker be easier to drive than 101 db @ 16 ohms??? I should be able to drive it with a headphone amp

they look very funky indeed

do beware that ZU has a very "love it or hate it" sound, and they're designed to be driven with soft sounding SET amps or other warmer tube amps (a Mcintosh MC275 comes to mind), a 300 watt ss amp, would very likely sound very harsh and hard with them...

nevertheless, I'm interested in reading some reviews and people's comments too

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    I like the look and specs of some of the other models too, the sub looks interesting.

Welp....

The speakers may suck but you gotta love the names! Wah wanka chanka wanka chanka wanka!!!

Worf

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    they look very funky indeed

do beware that ZU has a very "love it or hate it" sound, and they're designed to be driven with soft sounding SET amps or other warmer tube amps (a Mcintosh MC275 comes to mind), a 300 watt ss amp, would very likely sound very harsh and hard with them...

nevertheless, I'm interested in reading some reviews and people's comments too

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Yep, I'm not sure the Soul's would be a good match with my amp... However, the only forum member (Emotiva Forums) I know who has a pair of ZU speakers (Essence) is driving them with a pair of Emotiva XPA-1s (500 watts @ 8 Ohms).... Interestingly he also owns a pair Revel Concerta F12s and says the sound is totally different... So I have pretty much no idea whether I'd like the ZU sound...

I doubt I'll buy a pair, unless enough user/pro reviewers describe their sound in a manner tempting enough for me to want to try them... But the speakers look so funky

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I doubt I'll buy a pair, unless enough user/pro reviewers describe their sound in a manner tempting enough for me to want to try them... But the speakers look so funky

I know people that have heard ZU speakers, and couldn't leave the room fast enough. I know others that love them and swear by them...

the speakers look very very funky indeed. And if I ever decide I'm going the SET way, or build one (might actually do that... ), these will be high on my list...

with a very powerful SS amp, though, I personally wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Zu's all work with full range drivers, and a supertweeter combination, and all the full range drivers I've heard sounded pretty crappy with an SS amp...

I'd be interested though, in hearing your impressions, if you ever decide to go for them...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Ajani
    I know people that have heard ZU speakers, and couldn't leave the room fast enough. I know others that love them and swear by them...

the speakers look very very funky indeed. And if I ever decide I'm going the SET way, or build one (might actually do that... ), these will be high on my list...

with a very powerful SS amp, though, I personally wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Zu's all work with full range drivers, and a supertweeter combination, and all the full range drivers I've heard sounded pretty crappy with an SS amp...

I'd be interested though, in hearing your impressions, if you ever decide to go for them...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    If I ever go for them, I think I'll get a Miniwatt N3 SET to drive them:

http://www.miniwatt.com.hk/amplifiers/miniwatt-n3.html

It really would be sweet to have my beast SS amp driving a pair of inefficient 3 way towers in one room and the Miniwatt Set driving the ZU's in another... Now all I need is a 2nd job or maybe just a small win at the lotto and I'm all set...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    If I ever go for them, I think I'll get a Miniwatt N3 SET to drive them:

http://www.miniwatt.com.hk/amplifiers/miniwatt-n3.html

It really would be sweet to have my beast SS amp driving a pair of inefficient 3 way towers in one room and the Miniwatt Set driving the ZU's in another... Now all I need is a 2nd job or maybe just a small win at the lotto and I'm all set...
    That looks interesting

looked at this too?
    Bottlehead S.E.X. amp

I've been looking at their line up too, just for fun...

Keep them spinning!
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Ajani
    That looks interesting

looked at this too?
    Bottlehead S.E.X. amp

I've been looking at their line up too, just for fun...

Keep them spinning!
    Bert.
    Ummm.... I think I'll pass on the SEX amp... That's just a little bit too 'funky' for me...

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    The speakers may suck but you gotta love the names! Wah wanka chanka wanka chanka wanka!!!

Worf
    I can just hear the 80's 'Coming to America' music now: Let your soul glow
    Last edited by Ajani; 05-19-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    The only brick and mortar dealers of Zu are in Jersey and NY. I would love to hear them, but sadly won't be. They look great and speakers will be my next major consideration.

I was looking at an older pair of Dahlquist DQ 6.2 CS, might try them out for a spin.

Forum Regular
    Glad to see more interest in full rangers. The MiniWatt SET will drive those Zu's to ear bleed levels. My Bada hybrid tube/ss amp with 95 wpc also sounds scary good with full rangers, especially Hornshoppe Horns and Tektons.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hi Bert (basite) and others,

not true about the 300W class AB... My Essence are playing on Gryphon Tabu Century with 100W 8Ohm/ 320W 2Ohm and without wanting to start a SET war (I owned Derek's first MiniWatt with NOS German Post tubes - great little amp! , and "it -Gryphon- sounds as fine as your heart could ever hope for." The Soul was voiced as well with Nelson Pass' XA30.5 too... I've a friend with Pass' smaller 150W Class A into 8" full range and believe me please, it 'works'. As far as Revel and Zu, I think it is like having several women (or cars?), depends on your mood as to which direction you want to go. Ideally, I'd like 3x hifi kits at home (but I've only a 2-room apartment!).

Sean writes me that the Soul is even 'more' real 'live' music than the Essence, that is, if Zu has/had a problem with midrange [minute] detail, this has been taken into account with their new speaker.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by hatehifi
    Hi Bert (basite) and others,

john, is that you?

from lencoheaven?

Regards,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

AR Newbie Registered Member
    CAn anyone has experience with the superfly post some impression here?
    I have the new Omen bookshelf w/ a sub, it can't work with 300b monoblocks, but sound awesome with a 25w P/P tube setup.

Forum Regular
    I have a pair of standard Omens driven by an 8 wpc 2a3 and it's an amazingly good combination.

Suspended
    I don't think any one here has the Superfly yet. The drivers used are supposed to be a bit more dynamic. I love my Def's.

Maybe it's just me, but most/all of their speakers look cheapish...like an upscale Cerwin Vega type speaker.

Suspended
    Tarheel, that is not the case, the pictures don't do them justice. I'm not a good judge of looks but I've gotten a lot of positive feedback on the looks of mine. The cabinet is solid and nice binding posts, no plastic stuff. I was impressed with the build as well as the sound.

Forum Regular
    The Zu's are anything but cheap looking. You'll never be able to appreciate their top shelf cosmetics without seeing them in person. My ghost black Omens have these interesting smoke gray swirls running throughout the grain in random patterns which do not show up in pictures. I've seen many handsome speakers but none yet to top the Zu line.

I don't know how it's nearest competitor, the Tekton Lores, compare in sound but the Omens are a slam dunk winner in cosmetics.

OK..i'll refrain from passing judgment until i get a look-see

OK..i'll refrain from passing judgment until i get a look-see

Suspended
    [QUOTE=poppachubby]The only brick and mortar dealers of Zu are in Jersey and NY. /QUOTE]

Any idea who those dealers are? I cannot find a thing on their site or with a google search.

Thread Information