Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    My personal tactic, is to just leave the new Omen Def’s, in their current location and setup, until I get at least 400 hours of play time on them, then I will start tweaking and adjusting.

They have about 100 hours of continued play since they arrived.

Out of the box they seemed flat, stiff, and almost no bass to speak of.

In 100 hours, Bass presence has become easily noticeable and much improved. The tweeters were very piercing, especially at volume, but continue to soften up as the hours of play add up.

Everything I have read, including from Zu’s legacy web site, stated these need significant break in time, and that bodes true. I was prepared for it. I appreciate the fact that I genuinely hear the sound developing/improving during the break in., more so than with speakers that I have owned in the past.

Suspended
    Even with short break in I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Zu speakers. I truly believe the bass is merely break in. I really get caught up in the sound of my OD. I probably shouldn't have compared the OD to pro speakers it may give people the wrong idea. The OD have no problem with micro and macro dynamics. It's just that they groove with the music. Makes them a good match with the CJ gear. I was jamming Couldn't Stand The Weather last night and I believe it was one of the best times I've heard it sound. I don't know if I mentioned this already but the Zu are more neutral than I expected easily letting me know which recordings are done well or not.

massive change in status -

I toed them in, considerably - to the point of them aiming at my head.

The tweeters are about 80" apart and I am roughly that back from the tweeter line.

I was listening to a Sufjan Steve's album that has some interesting channel separation and the center image was just not happening. Much better after the toe in.

Suspended
    I might try some toe in at some point. Mine are sounding better each day, the bass is coming around, they throw a large sound stage. I played an Ozric Tentacles disc and not only did the bass pound the swirling keyboards seemed to be all around, not just firing at me. The Zu sound may not be for every one as any speaker but if you like them I don't think anything in their price can compete. I'm somewhere around 100 hours in burn in, so still some settling in to do.

175+ hours of "burn-in" and going.

The thing I have appreciated / noticed most so far? The super tweeters. Now that they have settled down, I really notice nuances and sounds in music that I definitely did not notice before…

For instance, listening to some old Tom Petty songs…had no idea, they had a tambourine playing in some sections…so far, I am just surprised it’s the super tweeter that continue to outshine my older setups…by large margins…especially since some of my older stuff was considered to be “bright” to begin with.

Bass continues to develop and to echo Mr P's observation, if production quality of the music was poor or excellent, it becomes very apparent when playing it on the Zu OD’s.

Female vocals are outstanding. All guitars, no matter if they are electric or acoustic, sound fantastic. I would argue to say that the acoustic guitar is especially well reproduced. Both my son’s play, and even they mentioned that they thought it sounded “real”…

Most string oriented instruments play very well on these, at this point.

The speakers continue to evolve with break in, and this is by no means a final say as to there settled personality.

One last note…efficiency…can’t say how accurate Zu’s numbers are, but they play pretty loud at volume levels that my older stuff would whisper at.

I’ve got to get a tube amp on these, once the burn in is completed…

Hey atomicAdam,

Curious, how many hours do you have logged on to the OD's, that you are reviewing?

Quote Originally Posted by pawblo
    175+ hours of "burn-in" and going.

The thing I have appreciated / noticed most so far? The super tweeters. Now that they have settled down, I really notice nuances and sounds in music that I definitely did not notice before…

For instance, listening to some old Tom Petty songs…had no idea, they had a tambourine playing in some sections…so far, I am just surprised it’s the super tweeter that continue to outshine my older setups…by large margins…especially since some of my older stuff was considered to be “bright” to begin with.

Bass continues to develop and to echo Mr P's observation, if production quality of the music was poor or excellent, it becomes very apparent when playing it on the Zu OD’s.

Female vocals are outstanding. All guitars, no matter if they are electric or acoustic, sound fantastic. I would argue to say that the acoustic guitar is especially well reproduced. Both my son’s play, and even they mentioned that they thought it sounded “real”…

Most string oriented instruments play very well on these, at this point.

The speakers continue to evolve with break in, and this is by no means a final say as to there settled personality.

One last note…efficiency…can’t say how accurate Zu’s numbers are, but they play pretty loud at volume levels that my older stuff would whisper at.

I’ve got to get a tube amp on these, once the burn in is completed…
    I've been reading about the great reports you guys have been giving about Zu....but what I am most interested in...aer the speakers sterile? I guess I shall wait until I get over to Mr P's for the answer but have not heard anything of the sorts meantioned.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    The Omens are light years from sterile. If you like big honk'n sound the Zu's have it in spades. Down to earth and fun as all get out but refined enough to wear a tux should the occasion arise.

Suspended
    Poultrygiest, I don't think people will find the word "honk'n" flattering but I don't think you used that term to describe the sound quality, right? The sound and presentation is large though. And, you wasn't exaggerating about them being able to sound like a concert.

They are definitely not sterile, but they aren't colored either. The dynamics are tremendous and at high volume they hold the sound together like not much I've heard and certainly not in the OD's price.

checking in to the thread from a dennys along hwy 5 and who the **** knows where.

i like to describe the zu's as having an american brashness.

They are definitely not sterile, but they aren't colored either.
    Ok Mr P....thats a contradiction in terms....they have to be one or the other. I hate sterile by the way....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    Growing up in the south of my youth the only decent sound came from the honky-tonk Wurlitzers, Seeburgs and Rock-olas. For a few quarters those jukes would have us Myrtle Beach teens shagging all night. ( inspite of it's British slang meaning, the shag is South Carolina's official state dance ).

What do the old juke boxes have in common with my Zu's? A lot as they both employ large highly efficient full range drivers powered by low powered tube amps and produce gobs of room filling sound.

A big honk'n sound is a good thing for me. It's the sound of a great honky-tonk. It's what I heard when my aunt rented a Seeburg for my 16th birthday party. It's what we did the dirty bird to, the fly, and the twist. It's the sound that made you want to dance and still does.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    The Omens are light years from sterile. If you like big honk'n sound the Zu's have it in spades. Down to earth and fun as all get out but refined enough to wear a tux should the occasion arise.
    I assume they are full of passion and romance then? Emotional?

Boy...can't wait to get to Peabody's...
    frenchmon

Suspended
    Sterile to me is a negative. Gear should offer tonal quality as instruments have a tonality. To me "colored" goes beyond tonal quality by over stating aspects of the presentation. Sterile and colored are like opposite ends of the spectrum. Of course, where something falls in that spectrum is totally subjective to the listener.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Sterile to me is a negative. Gear should offer tonal quality as instruments have a tonality. To me "colored" goes beyond tonal quality by over stating aspects of the presentation. Sterile and colored are like opposite ends of the spectrum. Of course, where something falls in that spectrum is totally subjective to the listener.
    MrP...this is what sterile means in medical terms.

dictionary.com : Sterile : free from living germs or microorganisms; aseptic: sterile surgical instruments.

In audio sterile is free from any color whatsoever...the speakers will be cold...just producing sound.

Now most speakers have some degree of color....color can be extreme or it can be very light, but most have some color that adds to the overall sound the manufacturer is trying to achieve......your Dyns have color, while your Klipsh Forte's had color....I felt those big Klipsh we heard at your buddys house had no color whatsoever and he even said he wanted no color when he built that system. Some people don't want color and your buddy said he wanted it to sound as if he was at a live concert which it did....we all have our opinion of if we want color or not and if so...how much color we like. I hate a cold speaker...but I dont want a very warm speaker either....I like a more lively speaker and from hanging out with you...you want a more lively speaker as well.

I like emotion and romance from a speaker....I like the tones to get down in my soul....helps me to have an experience with the music....without it the music to me is not really enjoyable.....when alone I like to get lost in my music.

Color adds to and helps the emotional character of the speaker....helps to add to the overall enjoyment of the music. Every speaker we heard at St.Louis Stereo had color...some more than others but they all had it....the Totems had less color while I felt the Harbeths had the most color. And you seem to like them the most. Thats one of the first things I listen for when listening to speakers....to see if they are sterile or not.

Forum Regular
    I looked up sterile in the dictionary and it had a picture of my Classe amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    I looked up sterile in the dictionary and it had a picture of my Classe amp.
    Yeah...I've heard the later models of Classe' where dry, while the earlier Classe' was pretty good stuff.

Forum Regular
    It was an earlier one ( CAP-101 ).

Mr. P what do you think of the OD compared to your Dynaudio's. That will give me more of a sense of their sound compared to all this sterile not sterile, Classe, colored stuff. Sometimes I as well get to talking audio and start saying things like that and with every ones perception being different I really still don't have a clue of their presentation, but compared to the t 2.5 which I already like then I can probably get more of a sense.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I too would like to know how the Dyns and Zu stack up against each other...

From having heard three or four different dynaudio speakers in controlled rooms and at CES - they sound very different than the Zu speakers I've heard at CES and the OD in my house.

The Dynaudio's I'heard - ranging from $2k - $10k have more of studio sound quality to them. They remind me more of PMC - while the Zu's - just off hand - remind me more of JBL. With the dynaudio's I've heard the highs are very detailed and pop out of the speakers. In fact I guess all the sound pops out - spacial speaking in terms of depth - while the Zu - while having a good lleft/right stage - often feel like the sound is still over there - with the speakers.

The PMC and Dynaudio are not fatiguing to me - while the Zu are still breaking in - can be - for me.

With the Zu I hear a lot more of the vinyl noise floor - while with Dynaudio and PMC speakers - and other European brands - all that seems to be rolled off. Giving you more enjoyment from less perfect sources.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    From having heard three or four different dynaudio speakers in controlled rooms and at CES - they sound very different than the Zu speakers I've heard at CES and the OD in my house.

The Dynaudio's I'heard - ranging from $2k - $10k have more of studio sound quality to them. They remind me more of PMC - while the Zu's - just off hand - remind me more of JBL. With the dynaudio's I've heard the highs are very detailed and pop out of the speakers. In fact I guess all the sound pops out - spacial speaking in terms of depth - while the Zu - while having a good lleft/right stage - often feel like the sound is still over there - with the speakers.

The PMC and Dynaudio are not fatiguing to me - while the Zu are still breaking in - can be - for me.

With the Zu I hear a lot more of the vinyl noise floor - while with Dynaudio and PMC speakers - and other European brands - all that seems to be rolled off. Giving you more enjoyment from less perfect sources.

Thanks AA for the comparison...Im hoping MrP who has both Dynaudio and Zu in his music room right now can chime in here for those who are interested in the difference in presentation. I know Dyns are quality speakers and I assume Zu is though I have never seen or heard them in person....Just wondering how different they are.

Suspended
    Maybe electronics or room but I like the OD's and have a bit different impression. I don't think they sound anything like JBL, at least models I've heard. The OD's have much better bass detail and midrange clarity.

The OD's have more high end energy and extension over the t2.5's and probablly most Dyn's. The Dyn's at this point have more low end impact but low detail is about a toss up. The OD's are better than my t2.5 at micro & macro dynamics. It's hard to say in overall detail which gets the points because the OD has so much more mid to high energy. I was worried at first the OD's may be too bright but after a bit of break in I don't find them overly bright or fatiguing. The OD's give more of a live presence, or make you feel like you are at the show. With the more sensitivity the OD's can really crank while remaining very clear and together. The Dyn's are very good at disappearing and throwing a nice sound stage. The OD's soundstage appears larger and having more air or space between instruments. Now that Adam mentions it the OD's may not disappear as well but I'm not drawn to the speakers at all directionally and the OD sound stage has great depth.

As a footnote I have my OD's firing forward, I'd estimate 8' apart and I probably sit 10' to 11' back. I have my spikes in and about one inch of space between speaker and floor.

Frenchie, I was really wanting to investigate the Harbeth's a bit more, even though there were a couple things we heard with them concerning. I did like the sound and they were next on the list if the Zu didn't work out. The Zu ended up not sounding like I expected from what people say. I thought they would be sort of lush and warm. They ended up being about exactly the sound I was looking for. Cymbals are prominent and have nice decay. When you are at a live show cymbals are always prominent. At this point the bass is good, recording dependent, but it doesn't steal the show. Very good midrange with my gear. The OD's have sort of a "reality" factor I haven't heard in many other speakers, I sometimes call it "presence". They are really hard to compare to other speakers. I am interested in getting your impression.

Thanks for the very good write up MrP....If you want, we can take another trip over to St. Louis Stereo if you'd like before your time to send the Zu back? It sounds like the Zu has all the bases covered over the Dyns....cant wait to take a listen.

Suspended
    The Harbeth are more money and I know they can't rock like the Zu.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information