AR Newbie Registered Member

Your opinions please.

Hey all,

Im 17 years old and for my AS level DT project i decided to dsign and make some speakers.

Have a look and tell me what you think.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9776/dscf0330ow7.jpg
    http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1986/dscf0332ws5.jpg

Now those are *different*

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro
    Hey all,

Im 17 years old and for my AS level DT project i decided to dsign and make some speakers.

Have a look and tell me what you think.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9776/dscf0330ow7.jpg
    http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1986/dscf0332ws5.jpg
    Nice work!! Those Kenwoods are automobile speakers, I presume. How do they sound?

the speakers are just some cheap car speakers. they were the smallest and cheapest i could find (£20) but they sound quite nice for what they are worth. i didnt want to spend too much in case it all went wrong.

There's a design I would never had thought of. Cool though. How do they sound?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

As Will Smith said in Independence Day "I gotta get me one of these" :-)
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Wow, i must say i wasnt quite expecting a response like that.

@Gmichael: You can make them sound as good as you like by buy some better speakers. the ones iv put in it were £20 so dont sound that brilliant but as long as the ones you put in it are 10cm speakers then they will fit. when i went to buy them i saw some for £100+ if you want to spend that much.

Well, rather than get bogged down with all kindsa cutesy, flowery* adjectives. I'll just say that the design shows some true imagination and they are cute as all get-out. I hope you got a good grade. IMNSHO, you deserve it.

*please, don't hit me

Very interesting. My wife would love those. Seriously!!

Wow, i must say i wasnt quite expecting a response like that.

@Gmichael: You can make them sound as good as you like by buy some better speakers. the ones iv put in it were £20 so dont sound that brilliant but as long as the ones you put in it are 10cm speakers then they will fit. when i went to buy them i saw some for £100+ if you want to spend that much.
    It's a great design for outdoor speakers.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Since this is proving quite popular here are some more pictures:

Hope you like them!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I agree with everyone. What a clever, creative design. Make them into wireless speakers and I can imagine many rooms in the home where you might want music but not wires or equipment. The kitchen and my shelf in the bathroom for listening during a shower instead of cranking the main system. Good job.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Since this is proving quite popular here are some more pictures:

Hope you like them!

You might want to protect your idea. I would hate to see them marketed in a few months and you not receive credit.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I don't want to rain on any parade, they are visually pleasing and artistically clever. But, no matter how expensive a driver is used, a dynamic cone speaker can not sound good without a baffle.

Perhaps a cyclinder enclosing the driver but open at the back would help. The purpose of a baffle is to increase the path length between the front of the cone and the back. This prevents the wave at the back which is exactly 180 degrees out of phase from cancelling the wave at the front. Closed boxes have an infinite path lenght.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    What he means is that if they sound 'thin' with little to no bass - that is why. The enclosure behind the speaker itself is key. Look at what car stereo does with band pass boxes and the like...

I agree with the comments above - very clever design!
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Holy Sucking Fhit. That looks really great. As for what hermanv said, that was the first thing came to my mind, but maybe you can turn the pot into a small sub. I think alot of ladies would love to have that. Hell, I would love to have one in my bathroom as well.

Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Holy Sucking Fhit. That looks really great. As for what hermanv said, that was the first thing came to my mind, but maybe you can turn the pot into a small sub. I think alot of ladies would love to have that. Hell, I would love to have one in my bathroom as well.

Great job!
    That's a great idea. A small down firing sub in the pot. Just don't let anyone water it.

superdougiefreshness

Really Great Concept you have Pedro !

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Well, rather than get bogged down with all kindsa cutesy, flowery* adjectives. I'll just say that the design shows some true imagination and they are cute as all get-out. I hope you got a good grade. IMNSHO, you deserve it.

*please, don't hit me

Pedro your very talented and maybe should consider a career in Industrial Design. I think you have a viable market concept here. Just take a look at the Orb speakers by Gallo and see what I mean. Your concept could be applied to any number of plants/flowers and even a larger potted plant to add a sub woofer for added FQ/low bass. I think you have a great mind for design and I very much encourage you to use your talent for things we all have mentioned here.

Here is the link to Gallo speakers: http://www.roundsound.com/

Good luck and let us know what kinda grade you get.

SuperDougieFreshNess - San Diego,CA - Heaven on Earth - Espechilly in March
    Last edited by superdougiefreshness; 04-25-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Thread Information