Your Opinion

Just want to hear your opinion's on some speaker brands:
    JBL
    Bose
    B&W
    Dynaudio
    Polk

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    You might want to pick specific models that you are interested in hearing. Some brands of speakers have models that are more popular than others. Do you have a price range in mind? Oh and you might want to apologize about your last thread if you want responses. Oh and if you are offensive in this thread I will be the beast.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Ok and do you like your Planar speakers? ... do they sound better then just a regular pair of Polk, Bose, Dynaudio etc... and models i am mainly looking for a decent pair of Floor standing speakers .. price range $0-$550 maybe $600 ... unless you can help me with my problem ... One of my JBL ND310's midrange speaker is dull i guess you could say ... its not as bright as the other speaker.
    Last edited by BallinWithNash; 05-31-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I like the Dynaudios that I've heard but I'm skeptical that you'll find any in this price range.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

yea Dynaudio's are a bit pricy haha

If you've blown a midrange driver, you could always consider having that driver replaced. If you'd prefer to replace the JBL ND310 speakers entirely, your price constraint isn't unrealistic. See an example here:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC500

Also...buying used speakers could bring you some good bang for your buck. And if you want JBL, you might check eBay. The Harman group sells there...JBL direct from the manufacturer.

Thank you audionoob and those speakers are cheap and I haven't actually heard a Dynaudio speaker .. are they that much better then Polk's or JBL's?

Suspended
    I own a pair of these. They are strapped to an Adcom 5500 and rock. Don't let the 6 1/2" driver fool you, they do incredible bass with the juice to push them. They do better with current but I've also have driven them, mostly to test thesound of the amps, by a vintage Luxman receiver and Sansui integrated.
    http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....e-60-black-ash

or, for $100.00 more: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ence-72-Cherry

Quote Originally Posted by BallinWithNash
    Thank you audionoob and those speakers are cheap and I haven't actually heard a Dynaudio speaker .. are they that much better then Polk's or JBL's?
    There are some pretty decent Polk and JBL speakers but in general there are some speakers that will mostly just be better. Dynaudio is one of those. I do own some Polk and JBL speakers for various purposes around the house. I don't have any Dynaudio, but I like the ones I've heard (the Audience series). In my primary system, I considered Dynaudio and then went with something I felt would be easier for my 50-watt amp to drive.

If you have the chance, listen to the midrange of a speaker made by Dynaudio. They can do other things well, but the midrange is where the better speakers seem to really outshine my JBL speakers.

Ok, thank you

definitely not bose...

but check out Monitor Audio too...
    Their Bronze range should fit your budget...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Well...

None of the above, sorry.

I've JBL's in my pro gear, monitors and such but I've owned none of the others. I've toyed with buying Snells or Dynaudio's but haven't pulled the trigger. I prefer Platinum Audio (orphan), Epicure (orphan) and Ohm to al mentioned.

Da Worfster

Are these the only choices available to you?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    If wanting new you should also give a listen to Paradigm. I'm not sure at what price a floorstander comes in at but it should be close to your budget, and, after you hear them if they aren't you might decide to make the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by BallinWithNash
    Just want to hear your opinion's on some speaker brands:
    JBL
    Bose
    B&W
    Dynaudio
    Polk
    None of the above.

I'm a planar fan. It might be different if I were a hard rocker but personally I like accoustic music, mainly classical and jazz. In this department I'll take Magneplanars. The Magneplanar MG 1.6QR simply crushes the competition under $2k.

If you must have a box, (speaker I mean ), of the above I'd consider only B&W, Dynaudio. To these two I'd add the Paradigm Reference models, and the PSB Synchrony and Imagine model. Certain Epos and Monitor Audio models are well-regarded by a lot of people.

Forum Regular
    Nash, we really don't know what you're looking for in a speaker. Each of the brands you mention has its fans. Which one you might prefer is going to depend a lot on what you listen for in music. Some people are volume freaks, others like a certain "punch" from their speakers while others like extra bass or sizzle.

My first priority when I audition new speakers is to look for tonality that is convincing with acoustic instruments. I go from there, looking for stable imaging and reasonable bass and treble extension, but without boom or harshness. I don't need a lot of volume out of a speaker nor home-theater rumbly movie bass.

Other people may look for something entirely different.

Of the four brands you list, the Dynaudio would be the closest match for me. However, I did look at them a couple of years back and ended up with a pair of Spendors, the British monitor type speaker.

Of course, you knowing what all of us like doesn't really help you pick out a speaker. If you're at the stage where you don't know which of those four rather dissimilar speakers you prefer, then I'd suggest you need to spend some more time listening. It makes the whole process of picking out a speaker a lot easier if you know what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    I'd suggest you need to spend some more time listening. It makes the whole process of picking out a speaker a lot easier if you know what you want.
    And a lot more fun. Be sure to bring a couple of your favorite CD's with you while you shop.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

In my experience, it takes a while to figure out what you're looking for in a speaker. Most people who have owned only mass-market gear have probably heard only mass-market gear. Someone looking to upgrade from the mass-market Polk might not know where to look and what to look for.

When I bought my first pair of speakers that I'd consider to be better than my JBL S38's, the level of detail I heard was fantastic. I hadn't known what I was missing. After spending some time with the new speakers, I eventually realized I like a high level of detail in the midrange but am sometimes annoyed by excessively detailed highs. It's a learning process. I certainly didn't know something like that before I heard it.

Suspended
    You can get a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42s for $600 or $650 but I don't think the Crown amp will do it justice. People who don't like B&W like the Danes and the other way. I think the silk tweeter in the Danes is less fatiguing than the B&W of same price points. Dynaudio are usually 4ohm and 87db so they want some juice to open up. Odyssey Stratos will do the job nicely.

As another RT-35i owner, I'll take a completely different path. Having a single sub crossed at 90 hz is localizing your bass. Your room - like most - is surely inflicting various peaks and valleys in the 60 hz - 200 hz range. I'd suggest getting a second sub and an inexpensive parametric or third octave EQ for the subs only. I've found the benefits of using that arrangement to be numerous:

1. High passing the RT-35s improves headroom since they're really not happy reproducing the bottom octave or two and the amp has an easier job
    2. Dual subs eliminates the localization issue
    3. Equalizing the subs allows you to get far flatter bass response for your room. Presumably, the Crown is driving the sub. You really don't want it running full range.

rw
    Last edited by E-Stat; 06-01-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    3. Equalizing the subs allows you to get far flatter bass response for your room. Presumably, the Crown is driving the sub. You really don't want it running full range.

rw
    Yes the Crown is driving the sub and everything below 90Hz goes to the sub everything above 90Hz goes to the Polk's .. so the sub isn't running full range .. if that is what you ment

the Crown is bridged to .. supplying 440 watts for my 15" sub ... which should be more then adequate power

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Qkc1KVCYM ... my stereo system .. im not trying to brag .. i just thought that some of you would like to criticize my stuff .. only helpful criticism though haha ... and at the end the song got cut off ... its Owner Of A Lonely Heart by Yes ... if u didn't know that ... and this will help you see what type of music i like to listen to ... watch in HQ

Looks like you have some bulbs burnt out in the Marantz. This site has them for sale, in case you're interested:

http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vlampkits.html

yes i do and i just haven't got enough motivation to take it all apart again hahaha .. and thanks because i will fix them eventually

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information