Forum Regular

Setup a Velodyne HGS 10G

Hello everyone,

After carefully reviewing the many post I have received, I had decided to go ahead and
    send out the amp side of this Velodyne HGS 10G sub for repair.
    (If you remember it was given to me but was making some noises)

Velodyne is sending me a replacement amp a the cost of $235.00. I will let you know how it sounds as soon as it is in place.

Now, I never owned a sub before so I will need some input from you peoples so I can set this beast up correctly.

First of all, I remember reading in this forum that the sub should be placed in a corner. Is that correct in every cases? By that I mean if all I want is to increase the very low end a bit why should it matter where it is located.

The next thing not yet clear to me is the connection. I have a Denon 2802 (with a sub rca outlet), it is not that great but it does the job for me. Should I use the crossover from the receiver or use the built in from the sub itself?

A friend of mine recommended the first option, but he is no expert and does not pretend to be.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Michele

Quote Originally Posted by michele
    Now, I never owned a sub before so I will need some input from you peoples so I can set this beast up correctly.

First of all, I remember reading in this forum that the sub should be placed in a corner. Is that correct in every cases? By that I mean if all I want is to increase the very low end a bit why should it matter where it is located.
    Subs are non-directional, so wether its placed in a corner or under a table, the human ear cannot detect the difference in the placement.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michele
    You only want to put it in the corner if you want to "corner load" it. The Sunfire Jr., for example, recommends this.

And although it's true that those frequencies are non-directional, the way they react with the room is crucial, to avoid getting that "dislocated bass" feeling. You really want the bass reacting with the room as similarly as to your speakers as possible, to get the two to "integrate" well.

Also, depending on what sort of bass management you have, you may also want to be careful about distance from the listener -- I found that crucial to get a smooth setup. I was fortunate enough to have a knob called "phase" on my subwoofer's crossover, and what it did was a very small, very tight delay, so that phase could be synchronized between the subwoofer and my speakers. If you don't have something like this, you might still be able to find it on your home theater receiver -- there should be a setup option for how far your speakers are, and how far your subwoofer is. Sometimes. Maybe. Otherwise you're going to have to integrate that by adjusting the distance your subwoofer is from your listening position, especially if you're already happy with where your speakers are.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I have the HGS 15, very nice piece but it took me a bit to get it dialed in. Now it pretty much disappears into the rest of the speaker system.

I don't think you want it in a corner as this provides additional coupling for the woofer and it will probably overpower the rest of the system, mine sure did. Mine sits out from the wall which removed the large hump it seemed to have at about 32 cycles. You are going to have to kind of experiment with placement and I think you will find room placement makes a big difference. I would also suggest you use the controls on the sub itself, gives you more flexibility. I don't think too many receivers have a phase control for the sub (could be wrong tho). Don't know what kind of speakers you are using but try to cross the sub about an octave above your front mains lowest response (or maybe just a tad lower). I think the Velodyne has about a 12db/octave slope so this should get you pretty close to a nice transition. Then of course you will have to play around with the level so it doesn't run over your mains.

Once you get it set up I think you will really like it.

Very nice sub the HGS! You'll love that sub!
    As far as which cross over your using depends upon what your using the sub for- music or HT.
    For music I like to use the subs internal cross over because the cross over usually goes down lower below 40Hz on many subs where as most HT receivers use 40Hz as the lowest setting.
    I like to set my crossover very low like 25-35Hz. But this also depends on the Frequency response of your speakers as well.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I guess the deal is reasonable enough.

Forum Regular

Sub location...

Thanks for everyone's input.

I must say, I am struggling a bit with the sub's location.
    I did not fully realized how involving this is. At this point I have it basically against the right side wall facing the listening position.

It is very close to the FR speaker (Well, near the speaker stand to be accurate) is that a concern?

As far as output, all of you where correct. This is a sub (for it's size) that really delivers low end base. I will work on room tuning before I try to really fine tune things even more.

So thanks for your passed and future comments.

Ciao,

Michele

Try to get it away from the wall if you can. When they get close to a wall or corner they tend to get boomy. Depending on your room it will make them spike in the 30 to 40 cycle range.

Thread Information