Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Wilson WP7, JBL 1400 Array, or ???

Wilson WP7, JBL 1400 Array, or ???

Hello friends,

Well, now that my unexpected amp problem is being fixed by PS Audio for free(!), I'm returning my attention to upgrading my B&W's to a speaker better suited to the 25'x30'x30'h room they reside in and would appreciate some opinions.

Here's what I've heard so far:
    1) Sonus Faber Cremona M; nice speaker, sounds too much like my B&W's with the same dynamic limitations for the room

2) Goldenear Triton Two's; I was hoping to hear the Ones, but this is what the dealer had and honestly, I was completely underwhelmed. REALLY warm sound, unfocused, boomy, throws the mids together in a blender. After reading reviews, this was by far the most disappointing speaker I heard.

3) Revel Studio 2's; Lively, fun speaker...and way out of my price range!

Here's what I'm considering:
    1) Wilson Watt/Puppy 7's; it's been a awhile since I heard a pair and yet they remain my benchmark to this day. Literally the only speaker I've ever heard that made my jaw drop. I thought perhaps time had romanticized how good they were until we went to my friend's and heard his Wilson Sasha's right after hearing everything else and the magic was readily apparent.

2) JBL 1400 Array; I've not heard these, but those that have swear by them. A dealer friend has them as his own reference, even though he doesn't sell JBL, and swears they run circles around the Wilsons. The downside is the appearance. I don't have a dedicated music room and when I showed the wife a picture and said, "I'm putting these in the living room," she gave me a "are you freakin' kidding?!?" look cold enough to freeze Hell. Zero WAF.

3) B&W 802D's; These seem the logical step up from my CDM7NT's, but I haven't heard them.

What's your opinion on my quandry? I'm hoping someone here has heard the JBL's. Price cap is $5k (used is obviously fine) and they need to be dynamic enough to fill that room. Von Schweikert already eliminated their VR33 saying it would be a poor match.

Thanks for your help!

ts

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I'd say if you liked the Revel so much, stay with that company and try something down the line. I saw two pairs of Performa 3 F208's on Audiogon. One was a demo pair and they were being offered at half off the original $5000. The other pair were brand new in the box with free shipping. I recently read a review on these speakers and I liked what the reviewer said about them. If I was in the market, they'd be on my short list.
    Mr Peabody likes this.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I'd say if you liked the Revel so much, stay with that company and try something down the line. I saw two pairs of Performa 3 F208's on Audiogon. One was a demo pair and they were being offered at half off the original $5000. The other pair were brand new in the box with free shipping. I recently read a review on these speakers and I liked what the reviewer said about them. If I was in the market, they'd be on my short list.
    I saw those 208's on agon. I'm considering them, but am concerned the bottom doesn't go as low as I'm looking for. The Studio 2's as good as they were, simply weren't as effortless in the bass department as the Wilson's, so I'd imagine the lower 208 would be similar.

Jack, I see you have Ushers. There's also a pair of Be10's available. Have you heard these and if so, what was your impression?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed View Post
    I saw those 208's on agon. I'm considering them, but am concerned the bottom doesn't go as low as I'm looking for. The Studio 2's as good as they were, simply weren't as effortless in the bass department as the Wilson's, so I'd imagine the lower 208 would be similar.

Jack, I see you have Ushers. There's also a pair of Be10's available. Have you heard these and if so, what was your impression?

Thanks
    I have heard several Usher speakers at my local dealer. I heard the Be10's along with the Mini Dancer and a couple speakers in the CP series that I can't recall the number designation. The Be10's really rocked and the salesguy just showed them to me so I could hear what they sounded like as they were way out of my price range. It's a sin that the one speaker has that cosmetic damage but if it doesn't effect the sound, it's a steal.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

My vote is for the 802's. You already like the sound of B&W's. Give a listen to Dyn Audio
    and the new Sonus Faber Venere S, which is supposed to be a huge step up in sound from the Venere 3.0's.

Venere S
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    My vote is for the 802's. You already like the sound of B&W's. Give a listen to Dyn Audio
    and the new Sonus Faber Venere S, which is supposed to be a huge step up in sound from the Venere 3.0's.

Venere S
    I didn't recommend B&W's because TS talked about their dynamic limitations in his room so I figured he was looking for a different sound. I need to hear the SF Venere S as I liked the sound of the 3.0's. What Dynaudio would you think would perform well in TS's room? Maybe the Contour S3.4?
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I didn't recommend B&W's because TS talked about their dynamic limitations in his room so I figured he was looking for a different sound. I need to hear the SF Venere S as I liked the sound of the 3.0's. What Dynaudio would you think would perform well in TS's room? Maybe the Contour S3.4?
    I have heard the 802's and the Venere 3.0's. both very different speakers IMHO. I like both. The 802's sound is very clear and detailed but the Venere's has a warmer, more liquid sound. The new Venere S model is supposed to be stellar and sound different than the 3.0's. I need to stop by the local dealer and give them a listen. Looking at the size of them and the 802's, they both should have no problem filling that room.

As far as Dyn Audio's, it has been a while since I was at the local dealer. About 3 years. I cant remember the specific models that I heard but they were detailed, dynamic with great bass. I was impressed and thought that if I were to tire of my maggies I would consider DA. along with PSB and SF. They used a Rotel amp and pre. Same dealer sells B&W's.

I would recommend a used pair of PSB Synchrony's but they have a warm, liquid presentation, more so than the Venere's. I love the Synchrony's and are my favorite speaker in the $5K-$8K range.

PSB Synchrony One loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

I am not a fan of the Triton's. A friend and I heard them at Axpona and spent 1 min in the room and walked out. I found them bright and edgy. It was probably the music because they were awful. I read a review stating that you really need to adjust the built in woofer properly otherwise they will sound boomy. Clearly the dealer did not have them set up properly-

GoldenEar Triton Three Floorstanding Loudspeaker Reviewed
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

The listened to Dynaudio's Confidence speakers a few years ago in and didn't care for the dry presentation. They were supremely accurate, just not my cup o' tea. If they've changed their house sound, I would certainly give them another go.

Speaking of changing house sounds, the Sonus Faber Cremona M's really surprised me! My previous experiences had always been very warm, full bodied sound that was infinitely listenable, if a bit at the expense of transparency and speed. The M's shattered that and, in fact, I found their sound to be much more lively. Unfortunately, they would have been swallowed by my room just as my B&W's are. The Venere S is intriguing, too bad the nearest dealer is over 3 hours away .

I'd really like to hear the 802's before I decide on anything.

A used pair of Magnepan 3.6's would fill that room nicely. Add 1 or 2 subs crossed over at 40-45hz and you would be set.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

A used pair of Magnepan 3.6's would fill that room nicely. Add 1 or 2 subs crossed over at 40-45hz and you would be set.
    The wife will never allow me to put the Maggies far enough out into the room for them to properly breathe. I've travelled down road before and it was a dead end, lol!

As an aside, I'm listening to Brothers in Arms right now and realizing how much I miss my amp. The B&W's are strangled by the Marantz.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Well I'd like to be able to comment on any of your choices but as of yet I have not come across any of them yet in any of the thrifts or Craigslist which as some of you know is where I buy all of my speakers.....

Seriously though I did have some budget B&W's that I liked and can only imagine how good their more serious speakers are.

Good luck with your search!
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    Well I'd like to be able to comment on any of your choices but as of yet I have not come across any of them yet in any of the thrifts or Craigslist which as some of you know is where I buy all of my speakers.....

Seriously though I did have some budget B&W's that I liked and can only imagine how good their more serious speakers are.

Good luck with your search!
    Glad to see your return to form, Kid. I'm not on the forums much anymore, but I did catch your thread on your recent health issues and it's good to hear you're on the road to recovery. If I lived in an area where Craigslist was more prevalent, I might be able to score some of the deals you do. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of farm land and there's not a lot of audiophiles in this area.

Take care,

speedy
    thekid likes this.

Well..I've heard all the speakers on your list. And I've heard the Golden Ear the most. You really have to dial them in with the powered sub and remember they have a version of the Heil folded ribbon tweeter. But the advice I would give to you...Each speaker will give a different idea of how it will interpret music due to the system it is in. So youd be best served by system matching the speakers to your rig. Example......if you have all silver interconnect and speaker wire and you amp is already tilted up in the higher frequencies....chances are its not neutral. So you'd be better served with a warmer speaker and ditch the silver cable in favor of copper. To may cats fail to understand system synergy and don't know the sound signature of gear.

My two cents.
    Mr Peabody likes this.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Glad to see your return to form, Kid. I'm not on the forums much anymore, but I did catch your thread on your recent health issues and it's good to hear you're on the road to recovery. If I lived in an area where Craigslist was more prevalent, I might be able to score some of the deals you do. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of farm land and there's not a lot of audiophiles in this area.

Take care,

speedy
    Thanks Top speed!

I'm feeling a bit better everyday and hope to be back to myself soon.

As I have mentioned before I am blessed to live in the area I do in terms of the variety and quality of audio gear available on secondary markets. As a matter of fact I was able to trade some gear yesterday for Technics SL-1700....
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Well..I've heard all the speakers on your list. And I've heard the Golden Ear the most. You really have to dial them in with the powered sub and remember they have a version of the Heil folded ribbon tweeter.
    Well, I listened at the dealer and he had a two week lead time to dial the system in before I got there, so I would hope that it was optimized as well as it could have been. I went into that audition check-in-hand based on reviews I'd read, but came away supremely disappointed. It wasn't that the bass was overwhelming, it was the veiled presentation, shallow soundstage, and muddled mids. The clarity was so lacking that it completely obscured certain ques that I look for with my reference music. The front end was Anthem, but the dealer had his choice of Levinson, Classe, or Rotel and chose that based on synergy.

But the advice I would give to you...Each speaker will give a different idea of how it will interpret music due to the system it is in. So youd be best served by system matching the speakers to your rig. Example......if you have all silver interconnect and speaker wire and you amp is already tilted up in the higher frequencies....chances are its not neutral. So you'd be better served with a warmer speaker and ditch the silver cable in favor of copper. To may cats fail to understand system synergy and don't know the sound signature of gear.

My two cents.
    Thanks for the feedback. I couldn't agree more regarding system synergy, which is one of the reasons I'm keen to locate some 802's. I've built the rig over the years to best match the voicing of my current B&W's. This is not to say the I'll buy them just because they are the big brother of what I have now, I've heard enough speakers to recognize both the advantages and limitations of B&W's. However, if the 802's essentially sound like my modest speakers, just more-so, I'd probably be a pretty happy camper without thought of upgrading for another 10-15 years.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody find auditioning equipment to be counterproductive to enjoying music sometimes? I find myself focusing so much on critical listening, marking cues, and microdynamics that sometimes I forget to simply enjoy the music. The 'ol "Can't see the forest through the trees" syndrome.

Suspended
    I have the Revel F52's, which I recently replaced with JBL 4367's, I personally would not use the F208's. I just didn't care for the sound where I love the F52, which happen to be forsale, just saying . I could have had a set of 206 or 208's easily. The F52 is very flat in it's response, disciplined bass that plays deeper that most any tower I've heard and does it with nice detail.

I had the Array 1400's in my system back when I had my CJ gear, The 1400's needed some current to get them off the ground, my tube monoblocks just wasn't a good match. I still thought they sounded good but I couldn't get them to image properly in my room, notice the horn is vertical, very narrow horizontal dispersion. There are other good JBL options but it sounds like the WAF factor puts them out of the running.

I would strongly urge you to take a listen to Legacy audio. They sound good and are efficient.

I am not a Sonus Faber fan, they don't sound bad just not a speaker for me. I've only heard them with various Sim Audio which I feel is a bit dry and may not be the best match for SF.

The only Wilson's I heard were at Axpona with D'agostino amp. A mega system but didn't impress me as much as let's say MBL's mega system or just Sadurni horns and Merrill Audio. The latter did have their rooms treated though which should have given them an advantage.

I have come to like Focal a lot but not familiar enough to suggest a certain model.

I had Studio2's hooked to my Pass for a while, if you had a less than outstanding audition there's a problem some place and it wasn't the Studio 2's. Certainly not dry and do play deep. The bottom firing port should give easy placement. Most any Revel speaker I've seen perform their best with high current amps.

Dynaudio has always had a soft spot in my heart but quite different sound from B&W. The newest Focus line is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I had the Array 1400's in my system back when I had my CJ gear, The 1400's needed some current to get them off the ground, my tube monoblocks just wasn't a good match. I still thought they sounded good but I couldn't get them to image properly in my room, notice the horn is vertical, very narrow horizontal dispersion. There are other good JBL options but it sounds like the WAF factor puts them out of the running.
    Good to see you, Mr. P!
    The dispersion characteristics was one of my main concerns with the design of the 1400's horn. How would you compare your 4367's with the 1400's?

I would strongly urge you to take a listen to Legacy audio. They sound good and are efficient.
    Already have. I've listened to my friend's Whispers with a multitude of amps and everything from hi-res to reel to reel. Nice speakers, didn't blow me away from a dynamics standpoint, but that what you get from open baffle woofers. Haven't heard the Focus, but I can get them new 30% off, which is still beyond my budget.

I had Studio2's hooked to my Pass for a while, if you had a less than outstanding audition there's a problem some place and it wasn't the Studio 2's. Certainly not dry and do play deep. The bottom firing port should give easy placement. Most any Revel speaker I've seen perform their best with high current amps.
    I really liked the Studio2's, especially after the disappointing showing from the Tritons. As soon as they started playing, I immediately thought "THAT's the sound I was hoping for!" Really fun and lively speaker with excellent extension on both ends. Great rhythm and grip as well. Too bad they are 2x my budget .

Suspended
    It would be difficult to do a point by point comparison of the 1400's due to the time that has past and the difference in my equipment used at the time. However, I can say confidently the 4367 is superior in imaging, and keeping in mind what I said, I still think the 4367 is much better in detail. The 4367 is outstanding, brass, cymbals and piano sound excellent, vocals are like the person is in the room. All of this in a neutral manner while remaining engaging and no fatigue.

I didn't realize the Whisper was open baffle. I'm not a fan of open baffle, so far. My friend had Focus SE and recently upgraded to the V.

I'm not just saying this because I have a set but I think you'd like the F52. Maybe you can find some of my old posts, I've been consistent on my fondness of the F52. There's also some good pro reviews in TAS, HTR, S&V. I wish I was closer to you. The sound is similar to the Studio 2 having he same designer in Kevin Volks but obviously not as good having different driver material, amongst other advantages of the Studio 2. I have mine listed on USAudiomart on my friend's dealer account.

Mr P, when did you get the JBL's?
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I've hesitated to weigh in on this discussion because all the speakers discussed are far above my budget. But what the heck, I've always been one to insert my 2 cents worth, welcome or not.

To me it's non-intuitive to compare horn speakers with standard dynamics, thus JBL Array 1400's on the list with B&W802's, Wilson Watt Puppy's and the rest seems strange. Personally I'd be inclined to forget about the horns. OTOH I'd include Magneplanar MG 3.7's and/or 20.7s, though I know Mrs. Topspeed objects.

Yeah, if I had the room and the bucks the MG 20.7's would probably top my list. In a larger room like topspeed's I'd almost think Mrs. Topspeed could be persuaded to allow the 5 feet from the wall behind which is as much as the Magneplanars really need. (My smaller MG 1.6's do fine with only 3 feet.) To put things in perspective, any of the speakers topspeed is considering would ideally get about the same distance from the wall behind.

The Maggies and especially the big 20.7 would require lots of juice, for instance a Pass Labs X350.8. Or likely one could get by very weil with a pair of Merrill Veritas monoblocks for a good deal less cash; (On the cheap, biamping with a pair of Merrill Taranis would work pretty well.)

Well, I listened at the dealer and he had a two week lead time to dial the system in before I got there, so I would hope that it was optimized as well as it could have been. I went into that audition check-in-hand based on reviews I'd read, but came away supremely disappointed. It wasn't that the bass was overwhelming, it was the veiled presentation, shallow soundstage, and muddled mids. The clarity was so lacking that it completely obscured certain ques that I look for with my reference music. The front end was Anthem, but the dealer had his choice of Levinson, Classe, or Rotel and chose that based on synergy.
    The characteristics of "veiled presentation, shallow soundstage, and muddled mids.clarity was so lacking that it completely obscured certain ques" is not usually associated with Goldenear speakers. IF so, they surly wouldn't get the praise from people I trust. And I've heard them my self with Bel Canto, Vincent and a few other amps along the way. Something was off at the dealers....perhaps the room, mismatch in gear or whatever...but thats not how Goldenear normally sounds....especially with the Folded ribbon tweeter. I have a buddy out in California who has Goldenear, Line Magnetic amp and Lampizator level 4 DAC and just loves the clarity. I'm sorry youe experence with Goldenear didnt go so well. The only thing I can say about them is 1) most of the speakers have a built in sub, which I dont like...and 2) I like wood on my speakers and not a sock.

Thanks for the feedback. I couldn't agree more regarding system synergy, which is one of the reasons I'm keen to locate some 802's. I've built the rig over the years to best match the voicing of my current B&W's. This is not to say the I'll buy them just because they are the big brother of what I have now, I've heard enough speakers to recognize both the advantages and limitations of B&W's. However, if the 802's essentially sound like my modest speakers, just more-so, I'd probably be a pretty happy camper without thought of upgrading for another 10-15 years

Just out of curiosity, does anybody find auditioning equipment to be counterproductive to enjoying music sometimes? I find myself focusing so much on critical listening, marking cues, and microdynamics that sometimes I forget to simply enjoy the music. The 'ol "Can't see the forest through the trees" syndrome.
    I like the Diamond series of speakers. I have no issue with them.

And I was just thinking to my self this morning, like always. Lots of guys like to stay on the merry go round of audio gear.....always getting something new to find the clearest and best sound they can find....they seem to chase audio boxes and sound for their entire life. Looking for that best sound which can never be had. There is always something better.

That's ok for whoever wants to do that. Its all part of being in this hobby. I got off that merry go round in the late 1980's. To me its a waste of money and time worrying about whats the next big thing. I'm of the mind that I should get the gear thats voiced to my liking....get the best cable and interconnects and speaker wire that enhances the sound I like and leave it alone...if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. Thats just me.....I wont change until I feel theres something missing. I buy music and enjoy the music. To me it's all about the music and its enjoyment. To me certain music should be very personable. It helps me when i'm down, and can lift me when need be, and can put me in a certain mood.

Music to me becomes life. As "THE" good book can minister to the soul, well...so can music. As your wife can be a soul mate....so can good romantic and passionate music...as your kids can bring you happiness and joy....so can your music. God made us to enjoy music...so if its gospel.....christian music....Jazz, Blues....Contemporary pop, whatever music floats ones boat, let him enjoy it forever.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    It would be difficult to do a point by point comparison of the 1400's due to the time that has past and the difference in my equipment used at the time. However, I can say confidently the 4367 is superior in imaging, and keeping in mind what I said, I still think the 4367 is much better in detail. The 4367 is outstanding, brass, cymbals and piano sound excellent, vocals are like the person is in the room. All of this in a neutral manner while remaining engaging and no fatigue.
    Peabody...I remember listening to the 1400's at Daves house and then your house. I do remember the difference in presentations. At your house it seemed there was a more closed in presentation....could be due to the fact Dave's room was more open?

I didn't realize the Whisper was open baffle. I'm not a fan of open baffle, so far. My friend had Focus SE and recently upgraded to the V.
    I thought the Focus SE and the "V" had a similar sound with the "V" putting you at the concert! Oh...and yeah Peabody.....his "V" speakers are open baffle....so I think you are a fan. At least you where the night we where all there listening.

I'm not just saying this because I have a set but I think you'd like the F52. Maybe you can find some of my old posts, I've been consistent on my fondness of the F52. There's also some good pro reviews in TAS, HTR, S&V. I wish I was closer to you. The sound is similar to the Studio 2 having he same designer in Kevin Volks but obviously not as good having different driver material, amongst other advantages of the Studio 2. I have mine listed on USAudiomart on my friend's dealer account.
    I can say for sure...the F52's are great speakers,,,and yes, they are very neutral. I think the B&W are more airy, but the F52's are very accurate to the music. Also....I think the F52's are easy in 3D.

The wife will never allow me to put the Maggies far enough out into the room for them to properly breathe. I've travelled down road before and it was a dead end, lol!

As an aside, I'm listening to Brothers in Arms right now and realizing how much I miss my amp. The B&W's are strangled by the Marantz.
    Yes, you need an understanding wife to have doors as speakers. I keep my 1.6's 3 feet from the back wall and they sound great. Really no different than pulling them out further in my room.

I think that if you can find a good used pair of 802D's go for it.

Too bad about the Marantz. I wish that Marantz would make a nice high powered, high current power amp, something in the 250wpc 8 ohms and 500wpc at 4 ohms. They really see to have giving up on that market. I like the Marantz house sound in their integrated amps and high end DAC's.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    And I was just thinking to my self this morning, like always. Lots of guys like to stay on the merry go round of audio gear.....always getting something new to find the clearest and best sound they can find....they seem to chase audio boxes and sound for their entire life. Looking for that best sound which can never be had. There is always something better.

That's ok for whoever wants to do that. Its all part of being in this hobby. I got off that merry go round in the late 1980's. To me its a waste of money and time worrying about whats the next big thing. I'm of the mind that I should get the gear thats voiced to my liking....get the best cable and interconnects and speaker wire that enhances the sound I like and leave it alone...if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. Thats just me.....I wont change until I feel theres something missing. I buy music and enjoy the music. To me it's all about the music and its enjoyment. To me certain music should be very personable. It helps me when i'm down, and can lift me when need be, and can put me in a certain mood.
    Couldn't agree more. I'm definitely not a "gear geek," as I like to term some of my audio friends, nor am I chasing the 'absolute sound.' I simply look for something that brings me closer to the music. My last upgrade was 13 years ago and the only reason I'm chasing speakers now is thanks to the size of the living room in the house we bought a few years back.

Yes, you need an understanding wife to have doors as speakers.
    That just made me LOL!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information