Will this sub let me down????

I'm looking at a new sub.... mine is a piece of junk, and the amp is going out on it anyways.... I have a $500 credit with Amazon right now, and they have one of these available (same price as the Buy.com) http://www.buy.com/prod/kef-psw2500-...204049563.html

I am looking to add to my B&W 705s, HTM7, and 686 rears..... will this sub be too slow for music, and not powerful enough for my movie needs????

I am 50-50 with music and movies. I was looking at the Martin Logan Abyss, but this is half the cost....... my question is this.... anyone know if I'll be left wanting more???? or for my current "bookshelf" setup, will this be ample???

Thnanks!!!

Can you stretch your budget? There's a LOT you can get around the 600$ mark.

On top of that I feel the Kef will sound a bit week compared to what you have now (to borrow GM's expression, I might throw up a little in my mouth if I pronounce the name ).
    So i'm thinking you shouldn't consider it

Thanks!!!

Yeah, I can stretch the budget, but I'm trying to burn this "free money" with Amazon (just an Amazon credit) Any thoughts on the Martin Logan Dynamo, or Abyss? Only thing, I think these are a lot cheaper other-places, so I wouldn't want to purchase the Abyss (at $1,000) from Amazon when I believe I can find it for $800 elsewhere.

Also, would the Dynamo be "enough" ?

If I do non-Amazon, I was looking at the "outlaw audio" Kits since they got such good praise here.

My current sub is a piece of junk, and I'm FAIRLY content with it, so anything that isn't a downgrade should be fine for me, but I'd like to get a more responsive, faster sub.

thanks,

Dynamo I hear is a good sub, especially for music. It's a sealed design, so might be a little restricted on output (not that all sealed design have low output). But I believe it's a little more expensive, 800$ or more I think.
    This baby from polk audio is well regarded, an has good output:
    http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-PSW...247290&sr=1-13

If you can really stretch check out this EQable velo:
    http://www.amazon.com/Velodyne-SPL-1...247449&sr=1-16
    Actually I'm wrong about the dynamo, it's 600$:
    http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-DY...247894&sr=1-51

Thanks for the links.... I actually found this Jamo C80 and would LOVE to find a place to audition it...... dual 10" subs, rear/front facing, and they say 20-200 is it's range, but I'm reading it excels in the 25-35 range.... it's also a closed box design.

this is the best deal I can find on it too.....

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-C80-Subwo...249939&sr=1-83

I hate to spoil it but I would stay well clear of any Jamo subs. I have one and it SUCKS. I've heard another one, more expensive with twin drivers and it sure didn't impress. Please audition one if you consider buying a Jamo. I would rather fast for three days to buy the dynamo then to buy a jamo (and believe me, that would be VERY hard for me to do)

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I hate to spoil it but I would stay well clear of any Jamo subs. I have one and it SUCKS. I've heard another one, more expensive with twin drivers and it sure didn't impress. Please audition one if you consider buying a Jamo
    Thanks for the heads-up......

The Velodyne you listed sure is nice, but I think the Wife would be upset if I got that one! This looks like it'd be plenty for my set-up, and I could always go "Dual Sub" in the future...

http://www.amazon.com/Velodyne-DLS37...50671&sr=1-112

I only have had feedback on the SPL and more expensive Velo's. I don't know about the cheaper ones. However, I'd get the Dynamo any day over it.
    BTW, why would wife be upset with the SPL-10? Are you talking about the price?

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    FYI.......Outlaw Audio subs are not "kits." They are finished assembled subs.

I personally would stay away from any European/British subs as they tend not to have the deepest lower bass extention needed for HT (I know that is a wide generalization but usually true in my opinion).

RR6

Go for the ML Dynamo. Its a great sounding sub for $600. I Don't think that there is a sub for that price that sounds as good. Its very fast and has crisp clear bass with no boom or muddiness. Best Buy Magnolia sells them. The Velodyne SPL's and Minivee subs are also excellent but cost about $800 to 1000. I've heard the Dynamo with a bass test disk and it was awesome. If I ever decide to upgrade my sub it will be either a REL, Dynamo or Velodyne SPL. By the way, they do sell some sub $1K REL subs. I'm not sure how good they are.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    FYI.......Outlaw Audio subs are not "kits." They are finished assembled subs.

I personally would stay away from any European/British subs as they tend not to have the deepest lower bass extention needed for HT (I know that is a wide generalization but usually true in my opinion).

RR6
    Well definitely count REL and MJ Acoustics out of that. They play flat to the tens for some of them.

Hey RR, have you ever hear a REL Britannica or Stentor sub? They are some of the best subs in the world and they go down extremely low
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    If you are really looking for a bargain subwoofer that can throw down, look to SVS subs. They have far more bang for the buck than any of the above mentioned subs.

http://www.svsound.com/
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

blackraven...I am familiar with REL subs, REL makes superb subs but not in the budget of this thread. He is looking for a sub in the $500 area. I'm sure he might go a little above that. However the cheapest REL's I don't think are much under $750 or so and they don't go very low.

The top models like you are talking about have superb low response but run in the $2500-$10,000 range or so.

I think the Velodyne 3750 he mentions would be a very good choice in his price range if he has to stay with Amazon.

RR6

JP, go audition the ML dynamo, its great for music and good for HT. There are better subs for HT, but for music you wont find a better sub in that price range.

The Velodyne SPL subs are excellent as well. They are on TAS's short list of recommended subs as well as the REL T2 for $798.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thanks for all of the advice! I've got some auditioning to do!

Forum Regular
    What about HSU, SVS and outlaw? Probably superior subs in sound quality to the KEF for less money. They don't look as pretty though...

HSU VTF2-MK3 ($500) - with variable tuned ports

SVS PB12-NSD ($600)

Outlaw LFM-1 Plus ($550) variable tuned ports (these are designed by Dr Hsu for Outlaw)

The variable tuned ports are nice so you can choose either maximum output or maximum extension depending on the use (HT or music) and your preferences. Reviews on these are awesome. I've heard the outlaw, and it is very good for music and movies.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    JP, go audition the ML dynamo, its great for music and good for HT. There are better subs for HT, but for music you wont find a better sub in that price range.

The Velodyne SPL subs are excellent as well. They are on TAS's short list of recommended subs as well as the REL T2 for $798.

Auditioned the Dynamo.... LOVED IT.....

Is this worth a listen? It'd save me $200 and it looks great on paper..... plenty of RMS power, and a 10" woofer.....

http://www.amazon.com/Velodyne-DPS-1...716761&sr=1-28

Martin Logan makes some very nice subs. However, the Dynamo is a "mini-sub." They are designed with the primary purpose of providing a sub for those who have space limitations. A number of compromises are made to make a sub this small including lower output level with this size 200W amp. Usually the higher priced mini's have a much higher wattage amp by necessity to obtain higher level output. The ML mini sub at this price is a real bargain. I think you will find this sub great for both music and movies in smaller rooms and tight spaces but not at the highest output levels.

If space is not a problem the Velodyne DPS-10 looks like a great buy. I wasn't aware until I checked the Velodyne site that the DLS-3750R and DPS-10 are almost the same sub except for the remote control on the 3750. The specs are almost exact except for looks and the slightly smaller cabinet size of the DPS-10. The DPS-10 is about twice the cabinet volume of the Dynamo (4005 cu in versus 2049 cu in). The weight is about 51 lbs versus 28.5 lbs. I would presume that the Velodyne should have a significant advantage in sound output level. I was impressed to see the comment about the Velodyne being "tight" in the below linked review. $399 looks like a great price.

Of course if you decide to spend the $500 at Amazon on something else then of course look to HSU, SVS, Outlaw Audio or AV123 for super sub buys.

RR6

http://www.velodyne.com/products/specs/dps.html

http://www.velodyne.com/products/specs/dls_r.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-8-2004.html

The thing about the Dynamo is that its a non ported sub and built to keep pace with the ML speakers. It has more than enoungh oomph for a small 10" sub for a moderate sized room. Its built more for music than HT. It gets down fairly low as well. 25-120Hz. Don't be fooled by the 200watt RMS power of the ML. I use a Velodyne CHT 8 sub in a 17x17 room with 9ft ceilings for HT and its about 150watts RMS and 385 dynamic and it will rattle the whole house with out distorting or sounding muddy or boomy. Power ratings are not all equal. I dont know what the dynamic power rating is on the dynamo but I'm sure its alot higher than 200watts.
    If your looking at velodyne, I would consider the SPL series. They sound great for music and HT. The spl8 and spl 10 would be excellent choices.
    Last edited by blackraven; 03-16-2008 at 10:58 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

How much does a used Velodyne HGS10 go for?
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Thread Information