AR Newbie Registered Member

Help with speakers

I have an Arcam Solo and am looking to upgrade my speakers. Right now I have an older (10 years) paradigm studio 20's.
    Small room so want bookshelf and am looking at Revolver 33 and Totem rainmakers
    Trying out the 33's and a huge improvement over the Paradigms so far.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks

Where are you?

Geographic location sometimes dictates what items are available and we don't read minds. A maximum price might help, too.
    Last edited by markw; 06-22-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Suspended
    The Solo is a nice little unit. I have heard it with Dynaudio, them and Arcam have always been a good match in my opinion. Dali has a bookshelf that runs about $675.00 that I thought was very good for the money, I didn't get the model. You might even consider B&W. There's a lot to choose from out there.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Trying to keep cost under or around $1,000

Aubio Maniac
    Add these two to your list, as both are competitive with anything else in it's price range.

BOOKSHELF DESIGNS:
    Jamo C803, large and heavy, excellent tweeter and the woofer is a high tech sandwich design, like power, and not recommended if you don't have a high power clean amp

Swan D2.1se (but only if you have a high output clean amp, run best at 140+ watts, will clip smaller amps)

KEF iIQ30 details rival some of the best bookshelves made and likes power, but will work well with a 75 watt amp.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Paul Navigator

Jamo C803, large and heavy, excellent tweeter and the woofer is a high tech sandwich design, like power, and not recommended if you don't have a high power clean amp
    Helo Paul,
    A question for you, I've read from multiple sources that the Jamo 80x's need "a high power clean amp". I have a 300W amp and my setup sounds great. However, does the phrase "a high power clean amp" mean:

-- They have to be played loud with lots of power..
    -- Or, if your amp has lost of reserve then they sound good soft or loud.

I ask this, because my 809's sound great either loud or soft and I was wondering if it's just something about my setup or is this typical??

Thanks,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Suspended
    The Dali's are $675.00 A PAIR. I haven't seen prices on Dynaudio's Excite series but I'd think you could get an entry bookshelf in your price for a pair. Or, if you are willing to buy used you could certainly get a set of Audience 52's or if lucky something in the Contour series.

Aubio Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    Helo Paul,
    A question for you, I've read from multiple sources that the Jamo 80x's need "a high power clean amp". I have a 300W amp and my setup sounds great. However, does the phrase "a high power clean amp" mean:

-- They have to be played loud with lots of power..
    -- Or, if your amp has lost of reserve then they sound good soft or loud.

I ask this, because my 809's sound great either loud or soft and I was wondering if it's just something about my setup or is this typical??

Thanks,
    Stan

I'm sorry but the typical Japanese mainstream receiver/amplifiers aren't my favorite. Adcom, Parasound, Marantz, others like them simply make great speakers sound better, and clipping can really make a great speaker sound average.

Thread Information