Forum Regular

Subwoofer Noise (while powered down)

I just got a Definitive Technology CLR3000 center channel and it kicks butt. That's beside the point. This center channel has a 10" powered subwoofer and it is completely quiet when it is automatically turned on (with signal sensing). However, when it doesn't get a signal any more and it shuts off, the woofer starts to make a slight humm/hiss noise. It is very slight, but enough to bother me. It actually sounds like the white noise that is made when you test your different speaker channels. I don't think it is ground loop hum, because I have had that problem before at another home with different components. Any advice out there? I tried switching the three prong to a two prong - no difference. What makes it so strange is the noise is only there when the sub is turned off (the red power light on the back goes off).

Forum Regular
    You should E-mail Definitive Technology. The few problems I have had (only with the trees the grilles snap onto) were quickly rectified. Chet is very helpful and should be able to help you.

info@definitivetech.com
    Definitive Technology Fan, Owner and Advocate!!!!! never paying retail IS half the fun of buying audio products!!!! Good shopping!

Forum Regular

Chet quickly responded

I emailed them and received a quick reponse. Not quite the answer I wanted, but I can live with the small amount of noise...

"Thanks for your recent email to Definitive Technology. I'm not sure if this is going to be good news or bad news. When in the standby mode, it's normal for the amplifier in the CLR3000 to produce a small amount of background noise (or swishing type sounds). As long as this background sound can only be heard if you're within 12 - 18 inches of the upward firing subwoofer in the CLR3000, this would be considered normal for this model.

If you're able to hear this background noise produced by your CLR3000 from"across your listening room", then it would be considered "out of spec". (If this is true, we would want to replace the amplifier in your CLR3000.)

If you need any other information, please email me at cpelkowski@definitivetech.com."

Forum Regular
    Well the response and that bad. They wrote back, which most dont :-) And they are willing to fix it too, if it is out of spec.

Is yours in or out of spec?
    Maggie 3.6R to be replaced with new Apogee Scintillas 1ohm !! :-) 20Hz flat to Ultrasonic at 110db at 4m
    System1: Magnepan MG3.6R/SE,Jolida JD3000b, Krell KSA-150, Audio Analouge Paganini MKII, Audioquest Slate and NRG-2
    System2:
    VMPS RM30M, Rega Planet 2000MKII, Pathos Acoustics Classic One, Rega Planar 2 with Super BIAS, Rega Phono Stage
    System3: Magnepan MG.5QR/SE, Cambridge Audio C500/P500, Philips CD985 connected to Leasegang projector
    Contact me...f.wiegand@t-online.de

Forum Regular
    I don't have any noise coming out of my c/l/r 3000 so I would definitely send it back.
    Definitive Technology Fan, Owner and Advocate!!!!! never paying retail IS half the fun of buying audio products!!!! Good shopping!

Forum Regular

Subwoofer noise

I just went and listened again and when it is quiet in my room, I can hear the white noise at least 10 feet away. It is faint, but I can hear it. Maybe the amp actually needs replacement? I don't know what to do because I bought it on consignment for $330, but there was only a 24 hour warranty from the dealer.

Forum Regular

Wow - Definitive Technology is awesome!

I just emailed Chet (at DefTech) again about the white noise problem. He said it sounds "out of spec" and will replace the amps for me at no cost - even though it is out of warranty! He gave me a detailed description of how to remove the amps. My Q&A sessions via email have also been nothing but top notch with quick responses. He was even able to mail me the original CLR3000 Users Manual at no charge (and also emailed me a pdf file of it).

I knew there was a reason why I was so loyal to Definitive Technology (other than their awesome sound)!

That's nice to hear.

It's about time someone had a good manufactutrer story. I'm sick of all the a$$hole mfgrs out there.

Glad it all worked out for ya.

Forum Regular
    Glad to hear it worked out. I didn't know they would back up their used gear but it is nice to know that they are willing to go as far as they do to keep customers happy.

Thread Information