Thread: What are these?

AR Newbie Registered Member

What are these?

Hello to all...registered for some time, but never posted. Just wondering about the identity of these speakers purchased for twenty bucks at a neighbor's moving sale.
    No brand name...white van style ripoff? Build quality ok, and they don't sound bad. I thought a ripoff would carry a phony brand name like Vanderstein, or Bong & Olufson:

(Why didn't they open already? Sorry.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are these?-spker.jpg   What are these?-label.jpg  

the price per single speaker isnt on the label so thats a plus ...

hard to say what they are, could be white van or not. can you pop out a driver and see if there are any identifiable markings on the back of it? in any case, its pretty hard to go wrong for $20.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Quelkin
    Hello to all...registered for some time, but never posted. Just wondering about the identity of these speakers purchased for twenty bucks at a neighbor's moving sale.
    No brand name...white van style ripoff? Build quality ok, and they don't sound bad. I thought a ripoff would carry a phony brand name like Vanderstein, or Bong & Olufson:

(Why didn't they open already? Sorry.)
    The binding posts in the back do not look like a white van "type." I could be wrong, but I don't think these are white van speakers... Now what brand *are* they? No clue there... They look like they could be some of the cheapy Chinese speakers sold online. That said, cheap does not mean bad. If you like the sound, maybe you got a deal.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    What I noticed is the crossover frequency of 6,500 hz. They must be running the woofers full range and using a simple crossover to an inexpensive tweeter. A quality tweeter could operate at lower frequencies, blend better with the woofers and eliminate the beaming of the woofers at higher frequencies.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    The DL 6.2 is the model number of the actual driver itself, manufactured by Electro-Voice. EV is known better for their production of low-end PA gear but they have been around quite a while. Despite their origins I would imagine they are still better than the "white van" offerings.

Suspended
    These look like white van Dynalab speakers. My Friend bought a pair of 2.8s from a guy in a parking lot for $400. They're all show and no go. I believe they claim a retail price $1500. The xover frequency should be a giveaway. A 2-way usually crosses over around the 2200 - 3000 range to the tweeter. I found the 2.8s on ebay and they xover at 4000Hz, the cabinets also look similar, so these appear to be from the same manufacturer. For $20 you didn't do too bad. Just don't expect too much from them and definitely don't try too much power.

Thread Information