AR Newbie Registered Member

What to pair with my Polk Monitor 70ii's

I am ready to fill out my home theater set up and am hoping for a few expert opinion's on three components.

My current setup consists of Polk Monitor 70ii tower speakers and a Sony STR-DH800 - I am not looking to replace either of these yet.

The system will surround a 15' x 10' area of a 40' x 15' room; I will likely be moving within the next year, but would still expect the room to be small.

Based on a small amount of research, I have come up with a few guesses for component choices. I would hope to spend no more than $1,500 on all three components. I do have a small concern about availability of products, being that I am in Canada and therefore shipping could be expensive.

1. Bookshelf surrounds - $ up to $700
    Polk Audio RTi A3's - based on being on sale frequently and readily available in my area
    B&W 685 - based on postive reviews, but on the high side of the budget
    Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 - based on positive reviews, not sure how easy to get a hold of

2. Subwoofer - $ up to $400
    Polk Audio PSW505 - based on price and availability in my area
    BIC H100 - based on reviews
    BIC F12 - based on price and reviews

3. Centre - $ up to $400
    Polk Audio CS2 - based loosely on reviews

I am not partial to any brand - I am only have on Polk's as they are sold at a big box store locally. I am truly open to any suggestions.

Thanks for any help!

Forum Regular
    Have you thought about how power hungry those 70's can be? Sans a Sony ES model, I would think that STR is having a helluva' time trying to make those towers really come alive.

I would stay within the Monitor series for your surrounds and center channel...say some Monitor 30's or 40's for surrounds and the CS2 for center? I'm not sure I would mix B&W in with the Polks...furthermore, I'm not sure I would even mix Monitor Series and RTiA series as they have a different tweeter. Besides, there are some great deals to be had on Monitor bookies and you can save a chunk of $$ that could be added to your sub budget.

For subs, I would look at offerings from entry level HSU (STF2), SVS PB1000, and the Outlaw Audio LMF-1. I feel these are the best bang for the buck in the sub $500.00 category. A small step back but still offering great performance would be The Outlaw Audio M8, or the HSU STF1...both of which will walk all over a Polk PSW505/BIC. To boot, the M8 and STF1 come at prices that would really make a serious buyer contemplate the purchase of 2.

Best of luck.

If you are happy with the Polk Towers that you already have and plan on keeping them, then stick with the polk brand, it is better to have the same brand all the way around. If you plan on getting new speakers all around, then PSB speakers are a lot of bang for the buck. If you are going to upgrade all around and are wanting to buy some satellite speakers consider the PS BAlpha B-1's or the PSB B4's or B5's and a PSB B center.

For a sub, I would consider buying a nice used one from AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

You can buy the PSB B-stock at a nice discount here-
    Saturday Audio

PSB Alpha B1 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    If your system is going to be mostly home theater I can't emphasize enough the importance of matching brand and series speakers for optimum surround sound.

I second either the HSU or SVS subs.

Thread Information