Forum Regular

Question Infinity Kappa 7.1 problem ??

Need help to solve a problem with my Infinity Kappa 7.1, 3 way 10" woofer,
    polydome mid, emit R tweeter speakers.
    These speakers can take a bi amp connection, and what I found got my attention, maybe someone in here can understand and tell me what's wrong with my kappa's.
    I did a couple of test, # 1, I connected the woofer only removig the shorting straps that
    connects the lows with the highs, so there is no power to the mid and tweeter, and just
    listening to the bass only. I could hear sound coming from the tweeter and mids from both
    cabinets ??, not loud, but there is enough sound that you could hear when you get your
    ear very close to the tweeter ??, the funny thing is they are disconected from amp, where the signal is from?? both speakers left and right are doing it, is this normal?
    or is some magnetic interferance from the crossover

Quote Originally Posted by infinityfan
    Need help to solve a problem with my Infinity Kappa 7.1, 3 way 10" woofer,
    polydome mid, emit R tweeter speakers.
    These speakers can take a bi amp connection, and what I found got my attention, maybe someone in here can understand and tell me what's wrong with my kappa's.
    I did a couple of test, # 1, I connected the woofer only removig the shorting straps that
    connects the lows with the highs, so there is no power to the mid and tweeter, and just
    listening to the bass only. I could hear sound coming from the tweeter and mids from both
    cabinets ??, not loud, but there is enough sound that you could hear when you get your
    ear very close to the tweeter ??, the funny thing is they are disconected from amp, where the signal is from?? both speakers left and right are doing it, is this normal?
    or is some magnetic interferance from the crossover
    Aliens.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    Aliens.
    A OK !!
    How about some usefull information, for those who have technical experience on the issue ?

They are just resonating. All things will vibrate on their when subjected to sound or other outside vibrations. It shouldn't be very loud. Almost no sound at all.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    They are just resonating. All things will vibrate on their when subjected to sound or other outside vibrations. It shouldn't be very loud. Almost no sound at all.
    BINGO!

That's it, and you're right it's not loud at all, but it's music what I'm listening, no vibrations of the speaker, a friend of mine has something like it he can hear music like a high frequency coming from a huge crossover from a set of old Infinity RSII, Are we going nuts!! or this is real ?

Quote Originally Posted by infinityfan
    BINGO!

That's it, and you're right it's not loud at all, but it's music what I'm listening, no vibrations of the speaker, a friend of mine has something like it he can hear music like a high frequency coming from a huge crossover from a set of old Infinity RSII, Are we going nuts!! or this is real ?

Don't know. Think we are all nuts to some point.

All things will do it to one point or another. Not many things other than a speaker would do it loud enough to hear though.

If you have access to one, what my friend (who owns a garage) does to find a small noise is too listen with a cheap stethoscope. This will let you locate where it's coming from.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Don't know. Think we are all nuts to some point.

All things will do it to one point or another. Not many things other than a speaker would do it loud enough to hear though.

If you have access to one, what my friend (who owns a garage) does to find a small noise is too listen with a cheap stethoscope. This will let you locate where it's coming from.

I'm sure I can hear the tweeter and mid, there is no doubt, magnetic field interferance between inductors in a crossover as the one for the kappa's, where a bunch of coils are one next the other, can transfer the music signal at very low db, I guess the best way to verify my problem is for someone who owns a 4 posts bi amp speakers and try just playing
    the bass by removing the shorting straps, and put your ear on the tweeter and listener carefull, I said it again , it's not a vibration, it's music off the tweeter, and because both L & R, speakers are doing it, might be normal, but I just want to make sure.

Thread Information