Suspended

Boston CR-7s, Bose 201s or Polk R10s

A friend of my father has 1 pair of these speakers each and is willing to give me 1 pair for use as surrounds ( maybe fronts ) for a second smaller HT set up, which would you choose?

Listen to them all. Then pick the ones that make your ears the happiest.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmax
    A friend of my father has 1 pair of these speakers each and is willing to give me 1 pair for use as surrounds ( maybe fronts ) for a second smaller HT set up, which would you choose?
    What speakers are you using for your main speakers? Also at the risk of taking a lot of heat I have heard the Bose 201 sounding nice as rear speakers when the tweeters are aimed at a side wall and reflecting back into the room. Of course they do need to be compatible with your front speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

To add to GM's statement. Try to listen to them at home, positioned exactly where you would want them at.

Suspended
    I will be using a pair of Polk RTi6's for fronts.I've heard them all and they all sound good. Im leaning towards the Boston's plus I find them not only to be the best sounding but also the best looking.Is timbre matching really that important as some make it out to be ?

Forum Regular
    As far as the timbre matching goes, I would say try them out and it is up to you. There are a lot of people who will say they should be a perfect (or close to it) match to your front and center channels. That situation is ideal, but I don't think that it necessarily has to be the case.

IMO, as long as you can adjust the levels of your front and rear to account for differences in sensitivity it should be OK especially for home theater. Less so for music listening. You typically won't notice the differences between surrounds and front speakers unless they sound substantially different.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    What speakers are you using for your main speakers? Also at the risk of taking a lot of heat I have heard the Bose 201 sounding nice as rear speakers when the tweeters are aimed at a side wall and reflecting back into the room. Of course they do need to be compatible with your front speakers.
    I actually like the Bose sound also,I just cant stand the fact that they have paper cones.

Thread Information