AR Newbie Registered Member

Help me find my perfect speakers please.

Allright here it goes.

I'm a beginning producer and dj and i want some new speakers. Unfortunatly I have no experience what so ever with speakers and thus know NOTHING about them.

Now I was looking at some speakers this afternoon and I found the following wich I found interesting.

- Philips FB 242
    - Crown 2
    - Schneider 8027 LS
    - and a Sterling

I hope that there's someone on this forum that knows a bit more about these speakers. they are quite old speakers, but I think that doesn't really affect there potential. tell me more and what you'd advise me to buy.

I would use my speakers for listening music, where bass is very important! also hi-tones and mid-tones so actually everything is important, but especially the bass.

Thanks a lot!

PS. How would I connect 2 speakers to my pc without an amplifier, or is that impossible?

Can't tell you a thing about the speakers listed, sorry.

What price range are you in? What is the room size? Are these party speakers or for critical listening? Will they be placed very close to your listening position (nearfield)? What have you heard so far that you liked/disliked?

BTW, you'll need powered monitors if you plan on hooking this up to your computer. In which case, I'd look at Genelec.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Can't tell you a thing about the speakers listed, sorry.

What price range are you in? What is the room size? Are these party speakers or for critical listening? Will they be placed very close to your listening position (nearfield)? What have you heard so far that you liked/disliked?

BTW, you'll need powered monitors if you plan on hooking this up to your computer. In which case, I'd look at Genelec.
    Price range about 200-300 euros. room size about 4x13, critical listening speakers(but i wanna be able to turn up thje volume a lot as well) close to my listening position. i havent heard a lot i like yet, well yeah a friend of mine has some awesome speakers but they're priced at about 500 a piece and i dont know wich brand they're off.

i dont know what you mean with powered monitors but ill look in to tomorrow, now i need to sleep cause i need to get up in 5 hours goodnight, and thanks.

music fanatic
    Well, I'm pretty sure you won't find Genelec in your price range, but...

I would say get 2 way powered monitors with the biggest low/mid drivers possible at your price point. Powered (or 'active') monitors have the amp built in and therefore don't require a separate amp or reciever. You can connect them to a standard computer soundcard with a split 1/8" to RCA or 1/4" cable depending on what kind of connectors the monitors have. Although you would be a bit better off with an audio interface card like the M-audio 2496. The card has a better sound chip and L/R RCA outs instead of the typical 1/8" stereo mini-jack.

I'm not sure about European vendors, but you can check out Sweetwater as a general reference of what is available and at what price. Keep in mind that sometimes monitors are sold as pairs and somtimes they are priced individually

I got some of these and have been pretty happy with them.

Oh, you'll probably want some MoPads too.

Oh yeah, and I should probably also mention that 'studio' monitors are generally made to replicate the sound of the source as acurately as possible. If you're 'mastering' a recording, you don't want to be hearing exaggerated bass while you're mastering, or you'll end up hearing less bass on other speakers in the final mix. No monitor is going to be totally neutral (especially in your price range), but the idea is to get something that you can stand to listen to, but will still give you a semi-accurate 'mix'.
    Last edited by bacchanal; 02-06-2006 at 04:32 PM.

Robert Smith Registered Member

Room dimensions

4' x 13 meters not feet right?

A from Europe, Germany?
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Thread Information