AR Newbie Registered Member

Value of Tannoy G.R.F. system?

I have a pair of Tannoy G.R.F. folded horns with 15-inch Monitor Gold Concentric speakers. These have a very plain Danish modern finish and are finished to be placed on their sides (lo-boy). They were purchased in the late 60's and have a very smooth and clean sound. Can anyone tell me what these may be worth?

Thank you

That they are GRF cabinets does increase the value. The holy grail of Tannoy fans is the GRF corner cabinets - they are big and sell for 20 - 25k b ut you'd be lucky to find them! I'm not an expert but my friends are, and I've listened for extended periods to a number of Tannoys.

In this case, the driver is 15", which is a plus, however the Gold is much less desirable than the Tannoy Reds. If these are in good nick, I would hazard a guess they should fetch anwhere between $1,500.00 and $2,500. It would be a different story if they were Tannoy Reds. Then they would be worth $4,500.00 or more. Probably not a good time to sell right now because of the bad market. Anyway, why don't you keep them? With the right electronics they will sound wonderful - better than many modern speakers. Older Tannoys such as yours have a wonderful way with voice and strings.
    'Lets See what the day brings forth'.... Reginald Iolanthe Perrin

AR Newbie Registered Member

RE: Tannoys

Thanks for the response, O'Shag. I remember lusting over the big GRF corner units, too. These also sound wonderful but it is likely that I won't have room for them after an impending move. While I owned my share of small boxes during the 70's (Wharfdales, ARs, etc) nothing sounded as good as the large folded horns.

Thread Information