Forum Regular

Upgrading Optical Cable--diff sound?

Hey,
    First time posting on these new boards I think...Short story: I purchased a new AR optical cable for my DVD/CD player to hook up to my receiver..I had been using the cheapest cable ever that came with my MiniDisc set-up b/c I couldn't afford a new one (sad I know)...I've noticed I get a wider sound now with the better cable, but since my setup is so confined this is not what i was looking for...could a cable do that or is it just me being insane?
    Thanks -

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Ice
    Hey,
    First time posting on these new boards I think...Short story: I purchased a new AR optical cable for my DVD/CD player to hook up to my receiver..I had been using the cheapest cable ever that came with my MiniDisc set-up b/c I couldn't afford a new one (sad I know)...I've noticed I get a wider sound now with the better cable, but since my setup is so confined this is not what i was looking for...could a cable do that or is it just me being insane?
    Thanks -
    I was wondering the same when upgraded to AR svideo I thought it was a better pic...I do think the connections are much better and the quality of materials used are better. you havent played with any settings ??

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow
    I was wondering the same when upgraded to AR svideo I thought it was a better pic...I do think the connections are much better and the quality of materials used are better. you havent played with any settings ??
    Nope..it actually sounds like a theater or some sort of DSP is on now, when in plain stereo mode...like i said it would probably be good if my speakers were spaced apart as they are supposed to be, but due to space restrictions, they are fairly close to one another.

Forum Regular
    to bad there isnt a way you can listen to both on an A/B test... Im happier with the new cables as well I have upgraded all my cables to AR. I have left to buy 2 sets of audio for the VCR and the system in the bedroom

Forum Regular
    different cables will give you different sound...better cables will sound better...no two ways about it...if you like your AR cable stick with it and now thing og buyig some quality cables for your speakers too.

Thread Information