Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

new paradigm monitor 9's

hello everybody, its been a while since i have posted anything, today i gonna talk about the new speakers i just purchased. i just recently bought some brand new paradigm monitor 9's and they look amazing, but when i first hooked them up to my system the tweeter sounded crackly like it was blown but then after about 24 hours straight playing them it went away so i was like awsome. Then i went away camping for the weekend and i come back and turn my system on and there the noise is again and i dont know what its from either not being worn in enough or what cause now they have about 27 hours on them but i havent been listening to music loud, just enough that i can hear but its also going to wear them in. i am going to wear them in for about 50+ hours before i turn them up louder but if anybody has help as to what my problem is it would help huge. thanx

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Sounds like a bad connection. Double check your speaker cable connections and/or the jumper bar if the speakers are bi-wirable.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    i checked that and its all good i removed the jumper bars cause i have them bi-wired but it seems like with time they get better so i have no idea what it is i hope it stops soon cause its annoying

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I did an A/B with my Sound Dynamics against a pair of those. My SD'd kept up quite well, and while they didn't fall apart, the Paradigm certainly had a few advantages. They are decent speakers, congrats.

Are you sure it's not your source or amp causing the issue? If it goes on much longer, you should consider taking them back.

Forum Regular
    yeah i made sure i listened to them for like 45 min to make sure i wanted them. i paid $1000 for them so its not bad but the problem seems to go away after i listen to them for a bit so im not sure what the problem is. it happend before i went camping it did it but them after i played my system for 24 hours it stopped but now its back so im gonna try and see what it is and if it doesnt stop im gonna call the place where i got them from and see if they would know what the problem is and if it doesnt go away in a week im gonna take them back.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanianmckinnon
    yeah i made sure i listened to them for like 45 min to make sure i wanted them. i paid $1000 for them so its not bad but the problem seems to go away after i listen to them for a bit so im not sure what the problem is. it happend before i went camping it did it but them after i played my system for 24 hours it stopped but now its back so im gonna try and see what it is and if it doesnt stop im gonna call the place where i got them from and see if they would know what the problem is and if it doesnt go away in a week im gonna take them back.
    Good plan. Get those cats workin for ya.

Forum Regular
    yeah ive been listening to them for about 5 hours today and it seems to of gone away maybe the tweeters needed to be worked in. i hope the problem goes away cause it was annoying cause it was a really harsh sound.

Sounds like a bad tweeter, have them replaced under warranty. They should sound fine from day one. I had to replace both the tweeters in my Paradigm Active 40's.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Congrats on the new speakers!

I wouldn't waste anymore time. Call the place that you bought them from. My Paradigms sounded great right out of the box and we're running them on a relatively mediocre system (for now ).

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Congrats on the new speakers!

I wouldn't waste anymore time. Call the place that you bought them from. My Paradigms sounded great right out of the box and we're running them on a relatively mediocre system (for now ).
    Can you list the contents of your system FA? I am curious. Which Paradigms do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Can you list the contents of your system FA? I am curious. Which Paradigms do you have?
    Receiver: JVC RX-6030V

Blu-ray/CD: Sony BDP-S560

Front Speakers: Paradigm Studio 60s
    Rear Speakers: StudioLab bookshelves (I'd have to check for the model number, when I'm home)
    Centre Speaker: StudioLab
    Subwoofer: Some cheap JVC refurb that sounds mediocre at best. But with the Paradigms, we don't really use the sub much anymore.

There are a lot of upgrades that I'd like to do, starting with a new receiver and designated CD player (I'm also considering a music server) and ending with a new sub. Eventually, I may switch to Paradigm rears and centre, but we mostly use our system for music so I'm happy with the speaker system that I currently have. The rears and centre don't get used much and are quite good quality speakers. The rears used to be our mains so they are better than decent, they just take up a lot of space.

All I need is cash. Anyone care to contribute to the FA sweet music fund?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Receiver: JVC RX-6030V

Blu-ray/CD: Sony BDP-S560

Front Speakers: Paradigm Studio 60s
    Rear Speakers: StudioLab bookshelves (I'd have to check for the model number, when I'm home)
    Centre Speaker: StudioLab
    Subwoofer: Some cheap JVC refurb that sounds mediocre at best. But with the Paradigms, we don't really use the sub much anymore.

There are a lot of upgrades that I'd like to do, starting with a new receiver and designated CD player (I'm also considering a music server) and ending with a new sub. Eventually, I may switch to Paradigm rears and centre, but we mostly use our system for music so I'm happy with the speaker system that I currently have. The rears and centre don't get used much and are quite good quality speakers. The rears used to be our mains so they are better than decent, they just take up a lot of space.

All I need is cash. Anyone care to contribute to the FA sweet music fund?
    I was going to suggest just get a two channel amp for your receiver that way you could really bring out the best in the Studio 6, but your receiver does not have hdmi connections so you are probably upgrading due to the limitations of the receiver.

BTW...nice speakers...I love the midrange presentation of the studio series.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Great FA!! It's tough when you want to listen to 2 channel music from an H/T amp. Most are gutless wonders. You have to really drop some cash to get something with true high power.

I used to sell Paradigm and I know from experience that at no point did any of the speakers we got in needed breaking in before they would quit a tweeter buzz or odd sound. I would get them checked out and possibly replaced with a new pair. Paradigms typically do not need a lot of break in to sound good, they do sound better with break in but they do not have these characteristics new out of the box. From my experience from my own paradigm speakers is that in the monitor series the tweeter is the speakers weakest link and even though they are very good speakers the tweeters seem to be very delicate compared to their woofers and midrange drivers.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Forum Regular
    the sound seems to of gone away now but i still havent really cranked them. Now that i have more hours in on them they seem to be sounding great now. I would be so mad if my brand new spakers out of the box were blown. i currently have them bi-wired to my denon pma200r amp which seems to give them nice clean sound, and probably more power then they need. heres a pic of my system as it keeps getting better and better.

Forum Regular
    Those are beautiful looking speakers.

I'm assuming they also sound great, as all the paradigm speakers I have heard have great sound quality considering their price point.

Hope you have many hours of enjoyment with them.

Forum Regular
    yes they are goregous speakers and they sound just as good, so far i've only put about 45 hours on them but they have lots more to go. Each day i slowly play them louder to wear them in which seems to be working great. These were perfect for me i thought about getting the monitor 11's but these were better for my budget and perfect for what i need them for. I think that if i would of got the monitor 11's it would of been to much for me, and with these being 600 cheaper than the 11's i have room to buy a cd player which i have just purchased, the NAD C541i CD player, and tomorrow im going to pick my my ps audio cord which i will put picks up of soon.

which version are those?
    Audio exploits of the past year
    :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgetaudio6/

even more here!
    http://s574.photobucket.com/home/budgetaudio6/index
    and yes its been a slow but full 3 or 4 years yet!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanianmckinnon
    I see you went with the Rosenut finish. Very, very nice!

I hope that you enjoy them for a long time to come.

Ima liking those Monitor 9's. Congrats.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    there monitor 9's v.6 and i thought the rosenut would look alot better than the black ash. they are very nice and i will enjoy them for a long time. thanx frenchmon there pretty nice there a bday gift to myself i thought it was a pretty nice gift

They look nice. I really like that finish. I'm glad your "teething" problems seem to be over. It's time to crank them up and hear what those puppies can do. Good listening.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Very nice Ryan. I had the version 2 for about 8 years. I go to my Paradigm dealer and have watched how the Mon 9's have evolved over the years. They look so much different than the ones I owned. I can see why they have kept them in their lineup. Some of the technology has trickled down from the Studio series. Congrats
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Forum Regular
    they are very nice and yeah im kinda done teething for now i turned them up loud today and i think for some reason i blew them cause they sound different now i dont know why it doesnt sound like i blew them now but maybe its just me. but when i did turn them up they sounded amazing. thanx jack i have seen older paradigms and they have evolved soo much since back in the day with the better technology and the better materials. that says that they are gonna last a long time for me which is what i want

update: i just did a music test while nobody was home and all i can say is ........ WOW
    the songs i listened to were:
    black sabbath- changes
    scorpions- winds of change and still loving you
    metallica- nothing else matters

all i can say is these speakers are incredible, i only have the volume in between 1/4 volume and 1/2 volume and its LOUD. The bass is soo good in these speakers i had the bass on my amp at 0 and i had to turn it into the negative cause they kick out soo much bass. The highs and the mids sounds precise and full. i heard some things in those songs that i had never heard before and shocked me cause i didnt even know they were there. I am so happy with the purchase of these speakers, they are well worth the money.
    Last edited by ryanianmckinnon; 08-06-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Try watch the newer version of king kong. With my monitor 9 v3, they give me a punch in the chest feeling. Even when they were almost ten feet in front of me.

My cerwin vegas never gave me that. Nor any speaker i own!
    Audio exploits of the past year
    :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgetaudio6/

even more here!
    http://s574.photobucket.com/home/budgetaudio6/index
    and yes its been a slow but full 3 or 4 years yet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information