Forum Regular

B&W 805 signature vs Anthony Gallo Ref 3

Any idea regarding B&W 805 signature vs Anthony Gallo Ref 3 ??!!

Which would be your choice ??!!

Thanks

Sukasem

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    I've always been a fan of B&W, but my best recommendation to you would to be to audition these speakers in person if you have the option. I've heard the 805 Nautilus and they sound very nice with amazing detail and range. However, the Gallo's have a side firing subwoofer, so they're going to be heavier on the bass than the bookshelf B&W's.
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray
    -----------------------------
    KEF K120- Jolida JD202a- Cambridge Audio D300 cdp- T500 tuner

Photo gallery

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I've heard both, you really can't lose with either choice. But yeah, completely different beasts -- B&W 805 is a standmount/bookshelf, Gallo Ref 3 is a floorstander/full range. I'd go with the latter, myself, as you would never need a sub.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Actively Bi-amped Gallos will run circles around the 805.

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Wasn't Woochifer remarking recently that full range speakers with a built in sub can be a detriment to a system since it considerably restricts optimum placement of the sub? That might be a consideration, as placeement of the Gallo might backfire on you (yes that;s a shameless pun).

I agree with Flo! Gallo's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Wasn't Woochifer remarking recently that full range speakers with a built in sub can be a detriment to a system since it considerably restricts optimum placement of the sub? That might be a consideration, as placeement of the Gallo might backfire on you (yes that;s a shameless pun).
    Yep, you're right that in general, I'm not a fan of powered towers, but that certainly shouldn't preclude anyone else from trying them out. One of the primary advantages of using an external subwoofer is that you can more optimally locate the unit within the room, and more easily connect a parametric equalizer to perform any needed room corrections. Indeed, powered towers can produce a massive amount of bass extension, but the typical front wall placement of these speakers is the exact location with the least bass reinforcement. Depending on the design (i.e. whether the powered tower can accept an external LFE connection and whether it has any crossover settings on board), the options for correcting any room-induced bass anomalies by changing the placement and/or equalizing the low frequencies are typically more limited with a powered tower.

I've not heard the Gallo Reference speakers so I cannot comment on those specifically. From what I'm reading, I'm not sure how to classify those speakers -- out of the box, they're definitely not powered towers even though they use the same side-firing woofer configuration as a lot of other tower speakers with built-in subs. For one thing, the Gallos use full range speaker connections that also power the woofer, but have a separate set of binding posts that connect to a second voice coil on the woofers. This second set of binding posts connects to an external amp, which supposedly extends the lower frequency response from 34 Hz to 22 Hz. This design would seem to allow for attaching a parametric equalizer, which would at least address some issues in the lower octave.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

The Gallos would definitely be my choice out of the two... I don't know if they really get as low as 22 hz with any authority, but they definitely give you more low-end sound than the B&Ws, while providing a nice seamless top-to-bottom sound IMO. The external amp is a must with the purchase, BTW.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular
    Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot. I've got some very good feedback here. Another question.

What would you say regarding B&W HTM2 vs Anthony Gallo Due ?!

Sukasem

RGA
    Forum Regular
    You need to try and compare an apple to an apple - standmount versus standmount full range versus full range. Bass is important but it's not the only important thing. The speaker that presents more bass (a full range speaker) versus something relatively light in the bass could tip the scales in favour of one or the other. The full range speaker will sound FULL and powerul while the Standmount could sound thin and bright. On the other hand the standmount could also sound faster and less coloured than a big floorstander.

The N805 is certainly a good speaker. You could try a cheaper speaker such as a Dynaudio 52 and match it with a good sub or possibly two subs provided you can get the integration right - I have not had any luck with that but you might. I am leary on speakers with active side-fireing subs built in because well I have read RAVE reviews about many such speakers from NHT (3.3), POLK LS series and Snell's B-Minor and despite all the raves they have all to my ear sounded dreadful. Nevertheless, you may feel otherwise and you simply must listen to loudspeakers for yourself. The problem I had with these designs has always been driver integration and a one note bass sound. If you move the speakers to get the bass better it usually screws up something way more important - midrange and the as one sound. Also I find B&W generally overpriced -- I like the N805 but I think you could spend about 30-40% less cash and get just as good an end result (though perhaps not as sexy looking).

i think it's a weird comparisation, since the b&w's are bookshelve speakers (not the biggest ones neither, and the gallo's are big, nasty floorstanders, if i was the b&w speaker, and i was on a shelf, i'd be afraid to fall of when the gallo's released their bass, a better b&w speaker to compare to the gallo's would be the 803s or the 803d. so go for the gallo's
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Well as we always say in this forum: " How much is it?" If they are both eat up the same amount of cash, then buy the Gallos. If you need to spend 8K more for a B&W that compares, then i have already said enough

I'm extremely pleased with my speakers. I've never heard Gallo so I cannot speak on that. I am not obligated to certain speakers. For that matter, I would give Gallo a try if I had more budget to play with. I love listening to different setup/sound since this ia hobby instead of a marriage. I wish I could change speakers as often as I change girlfriends though. It's easier to find a pair of speakers that are worthwhile than......
    Like some have stated above, you are comparing bookshelf to a floorstander. 805 definitely needs a sub to play 98% of my music.

Forum Regular
    Thanks everybody. The conclusion is Gallo is much better to my ears. The fact is that I used to own B&W 805 signature, but not anymore.

Gallos' are so amazing !! Stongly recommend.

Sukasem

nightflier
    csukasem,

And you've got to love the look too. I mean not only do you get two powerful woofers, but the design is way out there. I heard the ref II's in a showroom not too long ago and they were amazing for the price. The looks is the icing on the cake.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Good call. I listen to a friend's pair of Gallo Ref 3s for several hours every other week or so. They don't suck.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Good choice!

My advice is to save up for the active crossover and the dedicated bass amp Gallo offers :-)

Forum Regular
    Gallos' have made me fly !!!!!!!!!

good choice, what's next?
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body