Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Ugliest loudspeaker ever!!!!

I went to an electronics store today and saw this hideous monstrous piece of equipment for sale. I literally ROFLed. With these looks they look like somebody ripped the horn off a navy frigate and put it in his living room. Some people thought the B&W CM7 weren't too pretty, but hell... I don't care about the sound, I would not put something like this in my living room.

Don't hate me if you own a pair of these.

LOL these things are even freakier than Flo's 8.5 foot giants! (no offence to him)

Quote Originally Posted by PHiX
    I went to an electronics store today and saw this hideous monstrous piece of equipment for sale. I literally ROFLed. With these looks they look like somebody ripped the horn off a navy frigate and put it in his living room. Some people thought the B&W CM7 weren't too pretty, but hell... I don't care about the sound, I would not put something like this in my living room.

Don't hate me if you own a pair of these.
    Did you bother giving them a listen?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    LOL these things are even freakier than Flo's 8.5 foot giants! (no offence to him)
    Have you ever listened to a pair of Apogees or any large panel?
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Did you bother giving them a listen?

Maybe I should go back some day and ask for a listen.... and bring some type of slayer deathmetal noise cd-r along so I can crank the volume up and run away.

One thing is for certain, if you have a wife that allows you to bring these into your home, she really DOES love you!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I would love to hear a pair of those speakers. I have read some wonderful reviews. I listen with my eyes closed so it is the sound not the sight.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Looks count too. But I like how the Apogees look. These I could do without.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Now here's a look I could live with:

I like this one better than their top of the line VR-11

http://www.vonschweikert.com/vr9se.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ugliest loudspeaker ever!!!!-vr-9se_front_lg.jpg  
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Since we are just talking about the appearance of the Duo Omegas I gotta jump in here. I think they are beautiful, and I must say whoever hates it has no taste( no offense). If wives and other spectators hate the looks, how can they like any boring black boxes. Speaking of appearances, it's about time I purchased Audio Rack instead of exceedingly heavy thrift store endtables and slabs of concrete. Yeah I have no taste, but I digress.........

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    The entire premise of this thread is surreal...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thumbs up Ugliest ever?

Probably not, but ugly nonetheless.

Like others, I'd place looks behind sound. If they sounded fantastic, I might try to find a way to improve their visual appeal. Truth be told, if I heard them and thought they sounded great, and someone GAVE me a pair, I'd sell them and buy something that both sounded great and looked great (to me).

Quote Originally Posted by PHiX
    Maybe I should go back some day and ask for a listen.... and bring some type of slayer deathmetal noise cd-r along so I can crank the volume up and run away.

One thing is for certain, if you have a wife that allows you to bring these into your home, she really DOES love you!

Suppose you like the way they sound? What are you gonna' do then?

i wasn't bashing the SOUND of Flo's speakers...just...it would be kind of hard to get 2 tonnes of speaker into my room...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Suppose you like the way they sound? What are you gonna' do then?
    Get angry that I dont have the space OR funds to get a pair?

BTW I do think Flo's speakers look great in his set up.

I think these speakers look pretty cool; I'm sick of cloth covered black rectangles. Too bad they have one of those at the bottom, ruining the whole visual effect. If you're gonna make a speaker look like that, you shouldn't be afraid to go all the way!

By the way, what is all this I hear about wives not liking big speakers? I think a good stereo system should be appreciated like a piece of fine furniture. It ought to have an interesting look, and not be afraid to occupy space in the room. In my mind, nothing is as offensive looking as those 5.1 out of the box home theater systems with the tiny little cube speakers and a sub shoved thoughtlessly behind the sofa.

My candidate for ugliest

I have always considered Legacy speakers ugly in sort of Victorian retro way. In fact, I think they have a model called "Victoria" but it's not the ugliest.

Really bad is the Wisper, IMO. No offense to owners

Attached Images Attached Images  

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I think the classic Magnepan look is kind of ugly -- they look like office dividers. But that wouldn't stop me from owning a pair.

Personally, I think most speakers are ugly. Just going backwards through Stereophile's Floorstanding series, I find these ugly as sin:

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/506ap/
    http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306devore/
    http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/
    http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/206pen/
    http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1105ap/

But then again, I like wacky-looking speakers like O'Heocha's D2 series:

Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Hmmm. I'm thinking how the wife would react... Any one of those things would be a great "preemptive WAF strike" against anything else I might want to bring home! I would be fully innoculated against speaker critcism.

jocko

Boy, I actually *love* the look of the Whispers... I actually think they are some of the best looking speakers out there (I could say the same for any of the Legacy Audio speakers really). Just goes to show you that tastes are very subjective.

As for the VR-9s... In their case, I don't care much for their looks at all... For some reason, they kind of remind me of Daleks from the old Doctor Who series on the BBC... Exterminate, exterminate...! ;-) Sound-wise, however, next to their larger brothers the VR-11s they are my favorite sounding speakers at any price. So I guess I could easily put up with their looks.

My vote for ugliest would be any of the large Wilson speakers. I could never let those monstrocities enter my home. Ugly as can be, IMO.

---Dave
    Last edited by drseid; 08-29-2006 at 03:30 AM.
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Agree ...

Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    Boy, I actually *love* the look of the Whispers... I actually think they are spme of the best looking speakers out there (I could say the same for any of the Legacy Audio speakers really). Just goes to show you that tastes are very subjective.

As for the VR-9s... In their case, I don't care much for their looks at all... For some reason, they kind of remind me of Daleks from the old Doctor Who series on the BBC... Exterminate, exterminate...! ;-) Sound-wise, however, next to their larger brothers the VR-11s they are my favorite sounding speakers at any price. So I guess I could easily put up with their looks.

My vote for ugliest would be any of the large Wilson speakers. I could never let those monstrocities enter my home. Ugly as can be, IMO.

---Dave
    I agree about the VR-9's and especially the Wilson's. Can't agree about the Whispers, though they aren't so bad with the grills on.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    i wasn't bashing the SOUND of Flo's speakers...just...it would be kind of hard to get 2 tonnes of speaker into my room...

heck, if flo said; "Here basite, i give you my grand system, you can have it" then i'd build a new house just for those speakers.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Pretty much any big fat 3-way fomr the 1980's...especially the likes of Cerwin-Vega, are about as ugly as I could stand.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The Avanteguarde Duo is a good sounding speaker but it's not the best horn design I've heard - personally prefer the K-horn which is kinda butt ugly as well but IMO it's way better value for the buck.

A good sounding ugly speaker can begin to look good after awhile. A bad speaker no matter how good looking can be the bain of your existence.

Boy, I actually *love* the look of the Whispers... .Dave
    Ditto.

As for the VR-9s... In their case, I don't care much for their looks at all... For some reason, they kind of remind me of Daleks from the old Doctor Who series on the BBC... Exterminate, exterminate...! ;-)

---Dave
    I was wondering when someone would say that. I get the same feeling from them, but love them anyhow.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Oddly enough, I find speakers that look good generally sound good too...and ugly, tacky, trendy speakers tend to lack in the sound area...

FWIW - most of the speakers listed so far I don't find ugly at all...except those goofy Space Invaders speakers Dusty found...yuck.

It's pretty easy to make a speaker look good (by good I mean unobtrusive, I don't know of any speaker I'd own as decoration only because it looks good-I've never seen one), if a designer can't get looks right, why should I believe they can get sound right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information