Forum Regular

Paradigm Mini Monitor vs Yamaha NS-555

Hey. I am going to be listening to 75% music 25% movies. I am just now starting to build me a system so I am new to this. Any suggestions on one of these speakers over the other? Thanks for the input!!

Clay

Forum Regular
    No one want to answer?

I am afraid that if I just go with the Paradigm Mini Monitor, I wont get the bass I would have out of the Yamaha NS-555s. I crave the bass. Well if anyone has any suggestions, let me know Thanks!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey Clay, welcome to the forum.

First, yes, you would absolutely trade off bass response by going with the Mini-Monitors over the Yammies. If you crave Bass you best be lookin' elsewhere.

That said making any kind of intelligent recommendation is impossible without more information. What genre of music do you most listen to? What associated equipment will be used...receiver, amp, cd player, server-based computer system? What kind of budget do you have?

The more specific you are the better folks will be able to help you.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I like the idea of starting with a nice pair of music speakers, since you indicate you'll be using the system for music 75% of the time. That means the NS-555 is out. You can get your bass from a sub.

What is your budget and what equipment do you currently have?
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the responses.

I have a Yamaha RX-V463 receiver and that is all.

I mostly listen to hard rock (Korn, Slipknot) or hip-hop (eminem or lil wayne).

I want to hook up to my computer to play music, also I-Pod, and then DVD for movies some.

I have around $400 or so budget for speakers. I would like to buy just speakers right now, and add on in maybe a year with a subwoofer. I would like to be happy with the speakers bass in the meantime of not having a sub. I don't need wall shaking bass, just a good enough to hear the fast drum beats of my music.

SirClay, check out this site for great deals on some PSB and Monitor Audio speakers that would be much better than what you are looking at.
    http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

Here are some speaker suggestions

PSB Image B25
    PSB Image T45
    Monitor Audio B2
    Monitor Audio RS1 I own the older S1's and they have nice bass for a small speaker
    If you check out Saturday audio and they list call for the sale price, give them a call because the sale price is usually $100-300 off the listed price.

Also consider the Wharefdale Diamond 9.2's. They are well rated. http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/tsto.sto...N/product/2768

Another speaker to consider is the NHT Classic 2. NHT's have a warmer liquid sound and have very good bass for a book shelf. NHT is running a 25% off sale right now. You should be able to find the Classic 2's for about $450, a little higher than what you want to spend but well worth the money. I've compared them in an A-B audition against the Paradigm Monitor and Studio line and the NHT's sounded much better to me and a friend.
    But speakers are a personal choice.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I have done a quick research on the speakers you have suggested blackraven, and it kinda leans me toward the RS1 speakers. I however have a concern about bookshelf speakers vs floorstanding speakers:
    1. Am I going to need to put bookshelf speakers on stands to get the full effect of the speaker by lifting it off the ground? There, those stands cost more money and are easier for the speaker to fall over.
    2. I sometimes (like most of you) like to listen to the music really loud. Is there a great difference in volume/quality of bookshelf speakers vs floorstanding speakers at high decibels?

I don't live in a city that has very many stores for me to listen to a wide variety of speakers, so I am relying on you all to help my ears pick a good sounding speaker
    Thanks again for all the input so far.

SirClay, you will need some nice solid stands for the bookshelfs to sound good. Figure about $100-150 for decent stands. Consider the PSB IMage T45's, they are a decent floor stander and will play louder than the RS1's. As far as stands falling over, you just need to buy a decent stand with a top plate at least 6"x6" and a good stable base.

Also check out the infinity Primus 362 floor standers.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I don't have any hesitation recommending the Paradigm Mini Monitors. I've got a couple pair of them (as well as others from that line) that I use. I also put the in-wall version of them in my living room. They seemed to have a good price/performance ratio, a lot of reputable good reviews, and a dealer within 75 miles of me. I had a Best Buy and a very high-end audio place (since out of business) to choose from so I took a day and made a road trip to listen to a few speakers.

I'd also strongly consider the NHT's- I think the latest flier from AudioAdvisor indicated a deal on them. They were a little more than I wanted to spend but I liked them. Listen to a few and buy what sounds good to you.

SirClay, here are a few other speakers from audio advisor, they have a 30day return policy and are a good company to deal with. I bought my parasound amp from them.
    The first 2 are Floor standers and both are a great buy.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC300 These are a closeout and are a great buy at this price. I would jump on them. Energy makes nice speakers and for a speaker that normally sells for $550pr they are a steal at $258pr. No stands needed and they should give deeper bass and play louder than the bookshelfs you are considering.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BOCS226 These are a very good buy as well. I used to be a Boston Acoustics fan until they switched from home stereo to Home Theater. But these look like a very good deal and may have better sound than the Energy's with the twin woofers. Maybe some one else can comment on them.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHT2
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirClay
    Thanks for the responses.

I have a Yamaha RX-V463 receiver and that is all.

I mostly listen to hard rock (Korn, Slipknot) or hip-hop (eminem or lil wayne).

I want to hook up to my computer to play music, also I-Pod, and then DVD for movies some.

I have around $400 or so budget for speakers. I would like to buy just speakers right now, and add on in maybe a year with a subwoofer. I would like to be happy with the speakers bass in the meantime of not having a sub. I don't need wall shaking bass, just a good enough to hear the fast drum beats of my music.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/KEF-iQ5-3-Way-5-...3A2%7C294%3A50

IMHO, not even a contest. I have a pair of these guys' older brothers the Q7s that have served me well in my computer/Rock 'n' Roll system...great bass, great midrange definition and solid imaging. I've been very happy, to the point of taking a pass on some better pedigreed speakers offered at deep discount.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    SirClay, here are a few other speakers from audio advisor, they have a 30day return policy and are a good company to deal with. I bought my parasound amp from them.
    The first 2 are Floor standers and both are a great buy.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC300 These are a closeout and are a great buy at this price. I would jump on them. Energy makes nice speakers and for a speaker that normally sells for $550pr they are a steal at $258pr. No stands needed and they should give deeper bass and play louder than the bookshelfs you are considering.
    I went back and re-read your original post. While I like my Mini-Mons and sound fairly accurate, I also have them paired with a powered sub (one setup with PS1200 and the other setup with a PDR-12). Without a sub you may not get the pronounced bass I think you are after. Unless you bring in a sub you might want to consider something else.

These Energy speakers may fit the bill for you. And, at this price, you may want to pick up a center channel as well in the event that it starts morphing into HT. Or, a sub for even more bass.

I've ordered from AA several times and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Thats a great price. I'd jump on those KEF's in a Heart Beat!

Also, take a look at these Energy C-500 floor standers
    http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/...rs/33/144373//

The Freq Response is 35Hz-20K at +/-3dB so it should give fairly deep bass.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Ok. So I have gone through all of your suggestions and have done some research. I have now narrowed it down to 4 speakers and would l like to see which ones get the most votes, and I will most likely go with them. Here they are

1. PSB Image T45 - $499
    2. Monitor Audio B4 - $465
    3. Boston CS 226 - $400
    4. KEF iQ5 - $449

Thanks again for everyone's help!

The Boston's and KEF's are a good deal. You could not go wrong with either one. In my experience, Bostons tend to have a slightly warmer sound which I like. The KEF's are probably a better speaker though.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by SirClay
    Ok. So I have gone through all of your suggestions and have done some research. I have now narrowed it down to 4 speakers and would l like to see which ones get the most votes, and I will most likely go with them. Here they are

1. PSB Image T45 - $499
    2. Monitor Audio B4 - $465
    3. Boston CS 226 - $400
    4. KEF iQ5 - $449

Thanks again for everyone's help!
    You may want to concider these as well.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ry-Pair/1.html

And these are a great deal, great build, and are a huge book shelf speaker. And the price is right at $199.00 from $600.00

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...EW-PAIR/1.html

These are German built speakers that have great reviews and have fairly great bass responce for a book shelf. They are brand new speakers that are two years old that have been replaced by the GLE models. I am going to buy 3 pair for a new home theater in my new home.

frenchmon

Thread Information