Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Tyler Acoustics Linbrook System II - Extremly disappointed

In one sentence "Not Worth the Money & the Hype".

Bought it used from Ty, at what appeared to be a phenomenal bargain price along with matching Center in Burlwood finish. Before sending, Ty tested them out & even went ahead & replaced the Mids. My calls were responded immediately & Ty seems to be an honest, down-to-earth gentleman.

And that's where all the positive ended. When I opened the boxes, I noticed black powder coming out of 1-2 boxes. It looked more like a black toner ink from laser printer!!! I'm still guessing why. Second, my jaw dropped (out of shock) when I looked & felt the burlwood finish. It appeared as if somebody has covered it with a Matt finish paper. Does not feel like wood at all. And the vineer (if that's what it really is) is joined in the front of the speakers, making it very visible.

I thought for a while, what's there in the look. Let's hook them-up, right? To my disappointment, the sound coming out of the speaker was very very mediocare. It lacked any kind of richness or warmth you would expect from a speaker at this price point. In fact, they sounded worse then my aging 10 year old, low-life, $500/ pair JBL S312 speakers it replaced.

I'm shocked & speechless. I bought them after almost 5 years (off & on) market research, reading plenty of reviews. I wanted something better from my initial setup & ended up spending twice for a 3 speaker setup then what I'd originally intended for a 5.1.

My wife was quite upset when she realized the amount of money I spent. But I thought, itmight be worth it. I still have not developed the courage to tell her how I really feel about the speakers. She would kill me. Overall, I am extremely disappointed. I would strongly urge others not to go by any reviews on the internet (including mine) & listen to them first before shelling out your hard earned money.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with the Tyler speakers? Do I have to do anything to make them sound better?

I think you need to take it up directly with Ty. He brought speakers to AK Fest and they sounded great.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Please post pictures to show your compalaints of the speakers cabinets. I am also wondering what components you are using with the speakers? You make some serious complaints and I think you need to substantiate some of the statements you make.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Please post pictures to show your compalaints of the speakers cabinets. I am also wondering what components you are using with the speakers? You make some serious complaints and I think you need to substantiate some of the statements you make.

Agreed. I am not convinced. It would seem out of character for Tyler to release such shoddy work, unless the price point was indeed reflective of it. Even then, I think his pride wouldn't allow for it.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Agreed. I am not convinced. It would seem out of character for Tyler to release such shoddy work, unless the price point was indeed reflective of it. Even then, I think his pride wouldn't allow for it.
    Where would you estimate Tyler stood among the speaker makers represented at AK Fest? I thought he was well above average in overall a pretty strong group.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Where would you estimate Tyler stood among the speaker makers represented at AK Fest? I thought he was well above average in overall a pretty strong group.
    I will say this, regardless of sound, his build quality is through the roof. Indeed he was top 25th percentile, against companies with bigger budgets and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I will say this, regardless of sound, his build quality is through the roof. Indeed he was top 25th percentile, against companies with bigger budgets and resources.
    Anyone who likes the bloated, boomy JBL S312 better than Ty's speakers would seem to not have experienced what good audio reproduction sounds like.

Those speakers need some break in time from what I have read. Also, are you using a Kenwood AVR, if so then that could be the problem along with what ever cd, DVD or BR player you are using. High end speakers tend to be much more revealing of the limitations of the rest of your system. You AVR may not have the resolution or the Oomph to properly drive th speakers, especially the bass.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    @ 02audionoob: I did not say I like S312, but my S312 sounded better compared to the Linbrook System II.

@ JohnMichael: I'll post some pics in the next few days.

@ blackraven: They're pre-owned, except the 'Mids' that were recently replaced. I'm not sure it still needs breaking-in.

I'm not here to put stigma on anyone's reputation. Sharing my experiences & asking for suggestions, that's all!

Quote Originally Posted by HitsOfMisses

I'm not here to put stigma on anyone's reputation. Sharing my experiences & asking for suggestions, that's all!

Indeed, but surely you can understand our point of view. Quite simply, we don't know you. That doesn't mean we don't want to, infact....welcome to AR.

The online audio community is large, but with a base of enthusiasts who post regularily, and know each other. We must protect the site and our hobby from those who may have ulterior motives.

Throw up some pics, and lets go from there...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HitsOfMisses
    @ JohnMichael: I'll post some pics in the next few days.

@ blackraven: They're pre-owned, except the 'Mids' that were recently replaced. I'm not sure it still needs breaking-in.

Please post pictures soon. When we have a first post where someone criticizes a respected company and the new poster is not known we side with the known party. We have had former employees of companies post to trash their former employer.

Since the midrange drivers were replaced the speakers do need to break-in. The surrounds and spiders need to loosen up. Of course you might not like the sound but that does not mean the speakers are bad. Had you listened to them before purchase? The speakers may be outclassing the rest of your system that we have asked about. If you did not hear them before purchase you should be mad at yourself and not Tyler.

The more you can tell us about your system including cables and the room your system is in then we can be of more help.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I echo the sentiments of others in this thread - I've heard a few Tyler Acoustics speakers. I found them very good compared to more popular brand name speakers, and the build quality was solid. I'm very surprised if they did indeed produce a dud. Hope things work out for you HitsofMisses.

I currently own the TA Linbrook II, and have owned a pair of Taylo Reference Monitors.
    New Toy: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook II

Since I've purchase both used, I can't tell you how long it takes for the SEAS Magnesium drivers to break in. I'll give them at least 100 hours before discussing with your wife. The best thing to do is keep your music on while you are away from home to speed up the break in process. But it's a great experience hearing your speakers mature while you listen to them. The best advise anyone can give you will be to give them time. If they still sound like sh*t after 100 hours, then return them to Ty and get your $2400+ back.

But I'm pleased with what Ty has to offer, and I change gear all the time.
    Aside from the obvious physical difference, I prefer the sound of the Linbrook over the Taylo. I find the 2 to offer same warm midrange sound. The Linbrook's Millenium tweet is one of the best I've heard. The sound is very open and crisp while never harsh or picky. The Scanspeak Revelator tweets from the Taylo on the other hand were very picky and sounded mediocre on less than stellar recordings.

If you post the pics and questions, then great guys here can help you out alot.

Have Fun,
    JRA

Forum Regular
    I just received a response from Ty & he advised me to break them in for 200 hrs.

I'm travelling this week. Should be able to post something by next week-end. Appreciate your comments & willingness to help. Thanks!

Maybe after 200 hours with them you'll have a new/different idea what you're after. I saw a thread in another forum where a guy said he liked his old Realistic speakers better than his new Vandersteen speakers. A few pages later, he posted that he had a different outlook and was very happy with his new speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Maybe after 200 hours with them you'll have a new/different idea what you're after. I saw a thread in another forum where a guy said he liked his old Realistic speakers better than his new Vandersteen speakers. A few pages later, he posted that he had a different outlook and was very happy with his new speakers.
    I had very similar experience with Triangle Comete ES about 4 years ago (I think).
    It was bloody aweful for the first 50 hours, and was getting ready to sell them ASAP.
    But after about 100~200 hours, it opened up nicely and was able to enjoy them. After few more hundred hours I sold them because I simply got sick of the sound, and I didn't care for their house sound.

Not sure how your Kenwood sounds, but the Linbrook should present sound that is on a warm side.

Have Fun,
    JRA

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hmmm. New member here, old thread. Why no pics? The guy never came through? "Buyers Remorse" Very suspect to me. Sounds like he is trying to justify his $$ outlay to his wife. Classic case of henpeckitis.

A buddy of mine shelled out $96,000 for a brand new special ordered Mercedes AMG sport coupe and the same thing happened. He finally convinced the dealership to take the car back. Doesn't matter if it is cars, wine, stereo equipment, or women some people just experience "buyers remorse." Synaptic man, just synaptic!

Forum Regular
    digging up bones?

Forum Regular
    One other comment I've not seen made.

If I read this thread correctly, the speakers were bought unheard "after almost 5 years (off & on) market research, reading plenty of reviews."

No matter what the reputation of any speaker (or other component) there will always be some listeners who aren't impressed.

That could be the case here. The speakers may sound exactly like they should, but just aren't to the taste of this buyer.

The only two ways I ever buy a component I haven't heard are: 1) there is a money-back guarantee period, or 2) I'm buying used and there is a solid market with very good odds that I can resell for about what I paid.

TAD fanboy Registered Member
    Wow sorry the hear about that, any updates?

Steve S. Registered Member

Tyler Acoustics

I see that the original negative review of Tyler Linbrook speakers is several years old, but, I feel that I should comment on my experiences with Tyler speakers. I have owned 3 pair, from the original Tylo Reference Monitors (2 different pairs) to the Linbrook Reference Monitor as an upgrade. I found their sound to be unmatched for the $$$, and I have owned Frieds, NEARs, Spendors, Energys, Mourdant Shorts, and PSB Synchrony Ones. The fit and finish on all of the Tyler speakers that I have owned has been excellent (again better than anything I have seen in their individual price ranges), the veneers, rosewood and cherry, were perfect with no flaws. Last week I ordered new speakers from Ty, the Decade D3s in Kewazinga veneer. These new floor standers are based on the very well reviewed (by Sensible Sound) Lindbrook Reference Monitors. Three years ago I sold my Lindbrook Reference Monitors to a friend and purchased (after one in store listening) a pair of PSB Reference Ones, which were listed as class "A" speakers by Stereophile.
    I liked the PSBs, but began missing the warmer, much more musical sound of Tyler speakers. Thus, I am returning to Tyler speakers. The rest of my system consists of a Quad Classic II Integrated, Rega P5 turntable, Benz Ace cartridge, Rega Saturn cd player, Silver Sonic speaker and interconnects. Music listened to includes, jazz, classical, world, folk, opera, and some rock.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey Mc, welcome to the forum...I look forward to reading about your Tyler journey and appreciate some comments to bring balance to the thread.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Can I toot my own horn????

Here is a review of a pair of Tyler Acoustics Tylo Reference Monitors from 3/27/2012 over at the AK forum. It is followed by 2 personal message with myself and the same owner of the Tyler Acoustic monitors.

I recently struck a deal with Ty of Tyler Acoustics for this gently used pair of Taylo Reference Monitors. They arrived this past Friday so I haven't had but a few days with them. So far they're an impressive little speaker.

I guess this pair was a trade in that Ty received and there were a few minor dings in the cabinets. He said he just couldn't let them ship in a "less than perfect" condition so he pulled the components and refinished the cherry veneer and included this re-do in his original asking price to me (that's some great customer service!)

These loudspeakers are not only beautiful to look at, they're loaded with goodies too. They contain SEAS Excel woofers, ScanSpeak Revelator tweeters, Hovland capacitors, Goertz Alpha-Core inductors and Mills resistors in the crossovers.

I was a little concerned after purchasing the speakers and before they arrived when doing some reading of various reviews on the Taylo's and the fact that some folks claim they lacked low end resolution and slam. Maybe I've lucked out with my room acoustics but so far the Taylo's are loading my smallish basement room just fine. In this system I've also got an M&K subwoofer just in case.

As mentioned, I've got just a few days of listening in so far and have so much more testing to do. I've thrown a few different genres of music at the Taylo's including the likes of Yello, Peter Murphy, Michael Jackson, Inxs and a number of vinyl Deutsche Grammophon violin and piano concertos and a few symphonic pieces. As I said, lots lots more to listen to including all my favorite female vocalists that haven't yet had a turn.

I'm stunned at how accurately the Taylo's have reproduced the complex and dynamic passages from Yello, Peter Murphy and MJ which sounded great at lower volumes and also cranked up loud (to me, "loud" in this room is 90-95db). The SEAS woofer has great excursion and is fast and accurate, it kept up just fine on the more bass intensive passages. Inxs "The Swing" on vinyl has copious amounts of midrange energy and the Taylos did well with this recording as long as the volume was kept to a moderate level. I need to go back and re-listen to this one again but this time with the Taylos built in 3db-mid-cut switch in the engaged position to see if the midband can be tamed a bit.

In this room, various classical recordings get the most listening time and the vast majority of my classical collection is vinyl. These pieces typically get evening/night time listening rotation and at lower volume levels. The Taylo's are amazing with this genre. The soundstage is wide and deep, dynamic and nuanced. The accuracy of the ScanSpeak Revelator is jaw dropping in it's clarity and realism. Stringed and horned instruments have a beautiful texture while the timbre of the piano is spot on.

There is no way that the entire orchestra (or small chamber ensemble) is sitting in my little room, but they are!
    Now the personal message with him and myself back in May. I have xxx where personal names where mentioned in the original message.

5/12/2012
    ...... The Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitors are no slouch and contain Seas woofers and Scanspeak revelator tweeters and all kinds of upgraded/high end xover components....yet they can't hold a candle to the Vento Ref 9's. The Canton are smoother from top to bottom, deeper in the bass region, resolving at all volume levels and not shouty like the Tylers can get.

The Tylers have a definite sweet spot for volume. Anything less and things get lost, anything more and they get shouty. I needed a speaker that was a one stop shop and the Canton is it IMO.

Not sure why XXXX (and all the other "modern" folks) dismiss the Cantons. XXXXXX has made comment that he heard some high end Cantons (reference series I think) driven by higher end components and said he really liked the sound. Then he goes out and buys another Harbeth model and seems to be somewhat disappointed in them now. Oh well.

I for one was tired of being less than thrilled with loudspeaker purchases. Now I can sit and smile and know I've done good. Hell, maybe my tastes will change down the road and something else will thrill me just as much, I dunno....but for now I'm quite satisfied!
    And heres another PM he sent me on 5/29/2012

Hi, sorry for the intrusion and I hope you're ok with me contacting you.....

Just wanted to drop you a note as a fellow Canton owner (and after reading several of your posts that you're soon picking up the Vento 830.2)....

I have rolled thru many loudspeakers over the years in my basement setup looking for that sweetness that my older Canton Ergo Passiv deliver in my upstairs setup.

I puchased this pair of Ergo Passiv (late 80's models) about four years ago and they haven't moved since I brought them home. Nothing has been able to unseat them, they are that good to my ears at all volumes and with all music.

In my basement setup, there have been many loudspeakers. From B&W 805 Matrix, Allison models, AR models, Dahlquist, Tyler Acoustics, etc. All have fallen short of what I have upstairs for that ability to have a "do it all speaker" downstairs. I decided I had to try a standmount Canton to see how they would perform in this different space, shape, furnished room.

I came across a very lightly used pair of Canton Vento Reference 9 DC's and snapped them up. All I can say is my search is over. These smaller Canton's deliver the same goods in my downstairs rig that my big Canton floor standers upstairs deliver in that setup. I believe the 830.2 is very close in design to my Vento Ref 9 DC's (perhaps the tweeter is different, non bi-wire terminals, etc.??) yet I'm certain the 830.2 will thrill you the same.

It's amazing to me that more people are not aware of the Canton sound. So many folks have "heard" from one source or another that they are bright/tizzy/"German" and dismiss them from rumor. Or, in other cases they've actually listened to them but admit the room was wrong, the front end gear was wrong or other problems laced the system and don't revisit the Canton sound again. I suppose it's too bad for them because I believe Canton is one of the finest loudspeakers out there.

Congrats on your purchase and I look forward to any reviews you might assemble after you get a chance to listen to them.

Now have I totally ruined this thread? From what I can tell, the Tylers are great speakers....But I think as well as my friend thnk the Cantons are better....go out and listen to a pair of the Vento's or Reference for a extended period of time. You will love them too. But if you what Tyler Acoustics then I still think you have made a wise choice.

Heres a picture of the Tyler and his Vento Reference, and his old Canton Erogs from the 80's

Last edited by frenchmon; 07-07-2012 at 01:00 AM.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Steve S. Registered Member

Great pictures of the Cantons and Tyler-

I've never heard Canton speakers live, but I have always wanted to. Cantons do not seem to be reviewed very often in the audiophile mags, I'll have to look in some back issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mc240 View Post
    I've never heard Canton speakers live, but I have always wanted to. Cantons do not seem to be reviewed very often in the audiophile mags, I'll have to look in some back issues.
    All About Canton

Canton to Debut New Floorstanding + Soundbars at CEDIA 2008

Canton Adds 3 New Models to Reference Speaker Line - CE Pro Article from CE Pro
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information