Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Turntable anorak!
    1. Duntech Crown Prince
    2. B&W Nautilus
    3. Wilson Watt
    Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Forum Regular

Talking

Bose 301's

Fluance fx-htb

Anything from Theater Research.....
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    7 OutlawAudio M-200 monoblocks
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    Infinity IL-10 Back Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

There's one in every crowd.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by swgiust
    Bose 301's

Fluance fx-htb

Anything from Theater Research.....
    Eat beans for lunch and that should give you a pretty good facsimile.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Hello Pat.

I have a VMPS RM30M and a VMPS 626R here and can only suggest that you satay far away. I had nothing but problems, with build and sound quality. I am getting a fully loaded RM30M with the CDWG but have offered it for sale already to get some small Apogee's for my parents.

-Florian
    Thanks for your opinion, Florian, but there's no harm in auditioning (assuming I can find any to audition). Besides, your taste in speakers seems to be somewhat different than mine.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat D
    Thanks for your opinion, Florian, but there's no harm in auditioning (assuming I can find any to audition). Besides, your taste in speakers seems to be somewhat different than mine.
    Well, audition is fine ;-) My taste are properbly pretty close to yours if you like live music uncolored. Now the optics, price and WAF plus room might be different.

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular
    I'm a newbee, so the names you all know and have heard are all just names to me. I have heard wonderful things about electrostat/planar speakers, and I would love to sit down for a nice listen. I would also like to here some of the higher end bi/di/and omni-polar speakers. The ideas behind these are intriguing, and it is tough not to have a sonic memory to attach to them.
    So I guess:
    Mirage floorstanders,
    Magneplanars or Martin Logan (whatever model, I just wanna know what folks are raving about!)

And I want to here the Aerialacoustics Model 9T again. Kevin at Fred's Sound of Music in Portland sat me down for a listen to these, really let me enjoy them. He knew I was in the market for some basic speakers, he just wanted to share the love, and give a music lover a memorable experience.
    If I had not been hooked on the audio arts before that, there was no question afterwards. The best analogy I can think of is from 1986, seeing and hearing my first GSXR motorcycle. I knew I could never get bikes out of my blood after that experience. Decades of passion and enjoyment come from that one afternoon.
    So thanks to all of you who share your passion, whatever it is for.

Forum Regular
    I'm a newbee, so the names you all know and have heard are all just names to me. I have heard wonderful things about electrostat/planar speakers, and I would love to sit down for a nice listen. I would also like to here some of the higher end bi/di/and omni-polar speakers. The ideas behind these are intriguing, and it is tough not to have a sonic memory to attach to them.
    So I guess:
    Mirage floorstanders,
    Magneplanars or Martin Logan (whatever model, I just wanna know what folks are raving about!)

And I want to here the Aerialacoustics Model 9T again. Kevin at Fred's Sound of Music in Portland sat me down for a listen to these, really let me enjoy them. He knew I was in the market for some basic speakers, he just wanted to share the love, and give a music lover a memorable experience.
    If I had not been hooked on the audio arts before that, there was no question afterwards. The best analogy I can think of is from 1986, seeing and hearing my first GSXR motorcycle. I knew I could never get bikes out of my blood after that experience. Decades of passion and enjoyment come from that one afternoon.
    So thanks to all of you who share your passion, whatever it is for.

Dennymack

Upstairs system:Yamaha htr 5540 receiver, Infinity SM 152 mains, Boston Acoustics CR57 surrounds, hd5 center.
    Downstairs: $40 Knackered old yamaha cr 840, $10 no-name portable cd player, $30 boston acoustics A70's from an old theatre. $20 Philips turntable with nifty touch sensative light for control buttons and a saphire needle. Lots of fun for a C note. (Do I have the cheapest system here?)

Forum Regular

Well, audition is fine ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Well, audition is fine ;-) My taste are properbly pretty close to yours if you like live music uncolored.
    -Flo
    Yeah--that's what we all say!

Smile Somewhat the same

It would be nice to hear some of the speakers that appear in a lot of the lists, though not the Bose or Theater Research, of course! My approach would be to audition with a mind toward actually being able to afford what I heard.

With that in mind:

Revel Ultima Salon with Revel Ultima Sub 30

JBL K2 S9800

Pass Labs Rushmore

Forum Regular
    What would i like to hear....mmm nothing really. I just follow my own path without making the mistake "the more mony it cost the better" I don't really have "wet avalon sentinel dreams"

I'm very satisfied with what i have so far. The future who can tell i had a period in my life wearing off about 12 pair speakers in the year. I'm a little bit tired of that
    Pre-amp: Mcintosh C26
    Poweramp: Mcintosh MC2105
    Source: Sony Xa50es modified
    Dual 503-1 turntable
    Speakers: Magnepan MG1 modified supertweeters.

Furthermore

Audiolab 480 poweramp, Infinity Qe, Sonus Faber Concertino, Dynaco ST80 (RARE) Tubeamplifier.

Forum Regular
    Ok, I'll take a stab at it. I would like to hear the following:

Totem Rainmakers
    Monitor Audio Silver RS1
    Magnepan MMG

I know these aren't "crazy" extravagant, but nontheless, I would still like to hear them.

Forum Regular
    ok i will get in on this

1.jm labs utopia grande
    2. sonus faber --any of the top line models.always wondered if they sound as good as they look.
    3. martin logan statement.

we have no local sonus faber dealer so that will be a problem,we have a martin logan dealer but they keep little stock,and they keep only mid line utopias but they sound great.
    thanks
    bill

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat D
    I also had a pair of RM-30M, which briefly replaced some Magnepan MG-III that I had for 20 years. I kept the RM-30s for about four months. I hated them. The combination of the poor dispersion of the ribbons with the (quasi?) first order crossover gave very poor driver integration. I was always acutely aware that I was listening to individual drivers rather than an integrated system. Small changes to the position of my head resulted in large changes in the perceived sound quality. This is also supported by measurements of the frequency response, which vary greatly in the crossover region with changing off-axis angles.

The strong point of these speakers was the bass, even though the RM-30 doesn't go nearly as deep as the cheaper RM-2 and some of the other VMPS speakers. By tuning the bass with the putty on the passive radiator, a deep and powerful, yet natural bass response can be achieved.

As far as sheer brain power of the designer, I think my vote goes to Earl G. on this one. I'd love to hear the Summas, and the Orions as well. I heard that Earl was at the RMAF last year, so I'm sorry I missed that. If he will be at the next one, I'll definitely go.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_c
    I also had a pair of RM-30M, which briefly replaced some Magnepan MG-III that I had for 20 years. I kept the RM-30s for about four months. I hated them. The combination of the poor dispersion of the ribbons with the (quasi?) first order crossover gave very poor driver integration. I was always acutely aware that I was listening to individual drivers rather than an integrated system. Small changes to the position of my head resulted in large changes in the perceived sound quality. This is also supported by measurements of the frequency response, which vary greatly in the crossover region with changing off-axis angles.

The strong point of these speakers was the bass, even though the RM-30 doesn't go nearly as deep as the cheaper RM-2 and some of the other VMPS speakers. By tuning the bass with the putty on the passive radiator, a deep and powerful, yet natural bass response can be achieved.

As far as sheer brain power of the designer, I think my vote goes to Earl G. on this one. I'd love to hear the Summas, and the Orions as well. I heard that Earl was at the RMAF last year, so I'm sorry I missed that. If he will be at the next one, I'll definitely go.
    Thanks for your comments. I have never heard any of the VMPS speakers but some of them certainly have their fans, so I would like to hear some of them But the Summas and the Orions are certainly at the top of my list for innovative designs.

Of the speakers I have already heard, my current favorites are Paradigm's Signature Series, which are simply superb.

NINJA TURTLE

Talking top 3 loudspeakers

THE EXPERIMENTAL KHARMA 2 MILLION DOLLAR LOUDSPEAKERS THAT HAD 30 CABINETS JUST IN ONE SIDE (LEFT) AND ANOTHER 30 (RIGHT) MADE IN 1992 AND TESTED IN 1994....YOU GUYS CAN LOOK THAT UP...IT WAS TESTED IN A HUMONGOUS MANSION...I FORGOT THE NAME....ONLY ONE WAS EVER MADE TO PRODUCE TO MOST REALISTIC SOUNDSTAGE AT CONCERT LEVELS IN A HOME...
    I THINK THE AMPLIFIER WATTAGE, STACKED WAS 30, 000 WATTS RMS PER CHANNEL...
    THE NUMBER TWO IS GERMAN PHYSIKS GAUD FLAGSHIP using the DDD DRIVER OR BENDING WAVE DESIGN from the walsh coherent line source...AT WHOPPING 1000LB EACH...FORKLIFT ANYONE?

GENESIS FLAGSHIP THAT RESEMBLES THE VINTAGE INFINITY flagship RS SERIES THAT COST $60K in the 80's

NOTE: THE KHARMA that costed $2 million in 1994 WILL BLOW ANY HIGH END SPEAKER AWAY AT ANY LEVEL....it wasn't intended for consumer USE, it was a DARE by audio engineers and experts to the founder of kharma to see IF SUCH DESIGN WAS POSSIBLE? some extremely WEALTHY investor DARED him and INVESTED ON THIS PROJECT. I can only imagine how it sounded!!!!

The GERMAN PHYSIK'S GAUD IS MORE POWERFUL than any of the other high end speakers mentioned here, far more (excluding the kharma) that can hold thousands of wattage rms. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FOR $225K ?
    next to that is the LORELEY AT $95K some lucky guy bought one for $29k used at audiogon a month or so ago....from what i read since I OWN OHM WALSH 2xo's,
    the GERMAN PHYSIK'S create a 3 dimensional LIFE LIKE IMAGERY MORE THAN ANY HIGH END SPEAKER ON THE MARKET PERIOD! Both flagships are HUGE!

NINJA TURTLE

Talking top 3 loudspeakers

THE EXPERIMENTAL KHARMA 2 MILLION DOLLAR LOUDSPEAKERS THAT HAD 30 CABINETS JUST IN ONE SIDE (LEFT) AND ANOTHER 30 (RIGHT) MADE IN 1992 AND TESTED IN 1994....YOU GUYS CAN LOOK THAT UP...IT WAS TESTED IN A HUMONGOUS MANSION...I FORGOT THE NAME....ONLY ONE WAS EVER MADE TO PRODUCE TO MOST REALISTIC SOUNDSTAGE AT CONCERT LEVELS IN A HOME...
    I THINK THE AMPLIFIER WATTAGE, STACKED WAS 30, 000 WATTS RMS PER CHANNEL...
    THE NUMBER TWO IS GERMAN PHYSIKS GAUD FLAGSHIP using the DDD DRIVER OR BENDING WAVE DESIGN from the walsh coherent line source...AT WHOPPING 1000LB EACH...FORKLIFT ANYONE?

GENESIS FLAGSHIP THAT RESEMBLES THE VINTAGE INFINITY flagship RS SERIES THAT COST $60K in the 80's

NOTE: THE KHARMA that costed $2 million in 1994 WILL BLOW ANY HIGH END SPEAKER AWAY AT ANY LEVEL....it wasn't intended for consumer USE, it was a DARE by audio engineers and experts to the founder of kharma to see IF SUCH DESIGN WAS POSSIBLE? some extremely WEALTHY investor DARED him and INVESTED ON THIS PROJECT. I can only imagine how it sounded!!!!

The GERMAN PHYSIK'S GAUD IS MORE POWERFUL than any of the other high end speakers mentioned here, far more (excluding the kharma) that can hold thousands of wattage rms. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FOR $225K ?
    next to that is the LORELEY AT $95K some lucky guy bought one for $29k used at audiogon a month or so ago....from what i read since I OWN OHM WALSH 2xo's,
    the GERMAN PHYSIK'S create a 3 dimensional LIFE LIKE IMAGERY MORE THAN ANY HIGH END SPEAKER ON THE MARKET PERIOD! Both flagships are HUGE!

NINJA TURTLE
    FOR EVERYONE'S INFO....CHECK www.exoticaudio.org and I'M SURE YOU WOULD LIKE TO HEAR ANY OF THESE VERY EXPENSIVE AND EXOTIC LOUDSPEAKERS ON THIS SITE....ENJOY!

Dear Mr.Army, your post is even to arrogant for my taste. And acording to some people i am the Nr.1 arrogant jerk on this site! So take a seat in the line behind me You shouldnt post speakers over 800$ here otherwise some (not all) members get upset and will argue to the death a Paradigm 40 vs. a Genesis 1.1 and talk about personal preference.!!

I can agree on the Kharma, eventough we both know that we havent heard it yet. Speakers listed there like the Dunlavy SC-V, Martin Organ, NFR 345R, Genesis 1.1 or IRS-V are all statements. But for instance the Apogee Grand, Fullrange and DIVA, Martin Logan Statement, Prodigy, Soundlab U1, Perigee Definitive, Acoustat 2+2's etc.. is on paar with everyone of these systems. Some of them are better in some areas and some are worse.

This is what i am talking about, when i say "Reference".

Thanks for a good post!

PS: If you wanna hear some of the gear on this site, let me know my friends own a bit of that. *Goldmund, Jadis, IRS, Dulavy, Apogee, Krell Reference, Kharma and Etallon ;-)
    Last edited by Florian; 03-09-2006 at 07:24 AM.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    O'Heocha D2-ISO-5XCT
    Kharma Ceramique (couldn't care less about the million dollar system)
    JBL K2 S9800

Ones that I've already heard, otherwise would be in this list:

Focal Grande Utopia (local dealer)
    Nearfield Pipedreams (local dealer)

#4's:

Martin Logan top-o'-the-line
    McIntosh ridiculous system
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Since I own PSB's i'm curious to see if the PSB Platinum 8T is a really true high end speaker or not.

#2 would be the B&W Nautalis 800D or 801D's

And I am curious about electrostats, ribbons and planars... so # 3 would be those Apogee Diva Reference of Florians. I was impressed with a set of Acoustat Spectra 22's so I can only imagine how transparent and revealing the Divas sound.

Oh Yeah....the Proac D100 too !
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I would like to hear the B&W Nautilus,Wilson Grand Slams ,Genesis Advanced Technologies 5.2 loudspeakers.I would want to hear these with the biggest baddest BAT AMPS and Preamp,Sony SACD Reference Player and a DVD-Audio Pioneer Elite with Audioquest Interconnects and decent 12 guage speaker wire.Plus I would want to hear what they sound like on a state of the art turntable and a excellent cartridge with Blueback LP's

1. Apogee Grand 2. Avantgarde Trio 3. Westlake...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information