Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Top 10 Speaker Manufacturers...

Let's see if we can collectively choose the top 10 speaker manufacturers based on a few key elements. Pick what you feel are the top 10 based on the following:

Design/Style - does the speaker have great design/build and how does it look aesthetically, also does it have options in terms of finish etc etc.

Performance -obviously this is one of the most important of all. How does the speaker handle and perform overall. What are it's strengths and weaknesses.

Affordability/Cost -is the speaker worth it's weight in gold? Obviously speakers have various price ranges, so does the speaker hold its value?

Options -are there various models which offer different price ranges, styles and performance options so that all tastes can be met.

Customer Service/Warranty -does the manufacturer have great service, protection, warranty, etc.

Misc-what other information do you feel helps to make this speaker manufacturer the top.

Apogee and Perigee

Reasons:

1. The design is timeless and looks like a modern sculpture. I haven seen anyone yet who didnt love the design.

2. Perfomance.....well no need to comment on that

3. Cost, considering their playing league they are a baragain

4. Service is exellent, repair centers all over the world and no breakable parts exept for the ribbons but those can be replaced.

My other votes go for Avalon, Usher Audio and Martin Logan.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Usher is cool. Don't get much on this side of the pond...just drivers.

I really like HiVi/Swan as well. They're building some great speakers and drivers (and ribbons). They've still got a few stinkers, but I suspect 10 years from now they'll be a major player outside of Asia instead of just a minor one.

I'm not a big fan of the sound of a lot of their speakers, but B&W must be doing something right, a lot of poeple do like the sound, and they've been successful for a long time. Design wise they are very good at blending conservative cabinetry with more adventerous styling. I think just about every B&W looks great (HiVi copies a lot of their designs).

Van Schweikert's look great, but I haven't heard enough of their models to to generalize performance.

In the value books above the $1000 point, Focus Audio is still my favorite...with honorable mention to PMC. T-lines just sound so much better in the bass region to my ears than most other speakers...except possibly dual chamber reflex designs.

I always liked Genelec too, though they seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

I think someday in the near future there won't be any "Top 10" speaker manufacturers, the market will instead be composed of literally thousands of small, regional manufacturers. Most of the best speakers I've heard in the last 2 years have been made by small, 1 or 2 man operations. They just don't have the time or will to go global, or even national in some cases.

There'll probably always be the big box store models from brands like Polk and JBL, Infinity etc, to serve as a starting point. Though I doubt many people would put them in their top 10 anything, except maybe value to some people?

Has anyone here listened to GRYPHON ?

Forum Regular
    Hard question to answer,everyones ears are different and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and cost is relevent.The best speakers i have heard with my own ears were a set of Focal/Jm Labs Alto Utopia BE.They are very large,expensive($25,000 cdn)and not that great looking to my eyes but they sound wonderful.The music was James Taylor and they were driven by about $40,000 worth of gear,but it was incredible.

bill

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    Hard question to answer,everyones ears are different and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and cost is relevent.The best speakers i have heard with my own ears were a set of Focal/Jm Labs Alto Utopia BE.They are very large,expensive($25,000 cdn)and not that great looking to my eyes but they sound wonderful.The music was James Taylor and they were driven by about $40,000 worth of gear,but it was incredible.

bill
    I second that.
    IMO the JM lab and SEAS drivers are "worth their weight in gold." So JM lab makes their own speakers (drivers in cabinets) and SEAS does not. You'll find SEAS drivers in high end speakers such as Snell and Tyler to name a few. I prefer the SEAS drivers over the JM lab drivers typically.

I will only mention the ones I have owned or have spent extensive time with.

ART - Just superb in every way. From entry level to dizzy height. Real musical Emotion.

Zingali - Beautiful Range and very musical sound from this Horn, great with tubes.

Kharma - Outstanding but expensive and Coffin look not for everyone.

Avalon - Great build and spooky holographic imaging

Sonus Faber - Fantastic cabinets but sound not for everyone.

Pen Audio - Small Company from Finland. Very musical speaker and great looks.

Proac - Their standmounts are outstanding. The Floorstanders are so so.

Castle - Again great cabinets but sound is on the warm side.

and

Bose - For outstanding contribution to this Forum.

Peace

Bernd
    Last edited by Bernd; 04-28-2006 at 03:01 AM.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

I Guess I have eleven that immediately come to mind:

Tyler Acoustics -- Beautiful looking and sounding speakers that have the best customer service I have encountered in the business. Small company, but superb value.

Salk Sound -- Brilliant woodworking, superb quality drivers, well-designed crossovers... Another small company gem.

Opera Audio Consonance -- Proof that the Chinese *can* build exceptional speakers (both outright and value).

Von Schweikert -- I am more impressed with their higher priced models (the DB99 and up), but a quality company all-around, with a tremendous legendary designer.

Sonus Faber -- Classic looking speakers with beautiful woodworking. Pricey in some cases, but excellent quality.

McIntosh -- Many are fans of their electronics, I personally feel their line arrays are superb and while expensive, offer great value for their lofty price tags.

Spendor -- OK, not much to look at, but their "Classic" line has a nice heritage, and their standmounts in particular are worthy of it IMO.

Green Mountain Audio -- The marble enclosures are "love 'em or hate 'em" designs (I fall into the latter), but the sound is sublime.

Ayon -- Maybe not the best value, but super high quality sound, and looks that are also impressive.

Dali -- Speakers are a mixed bag on the whole, but those that work (like the Megaline and the Helicon series) work *very* well. Woodworking is right up there with Salk (and that is saying something).

Merlin -- These are very pricey two-ways, but after hearing the floorstanders, the quality sound is justification for the relatively high prices charged. I consider the VSM-MX floorstanders references for judging what a two-way can sound like in a small to medium sized room -- low bass is their only real achilles heel.

---Dave
    Last edited by drseid; 04-28-2006 at 01:55 AM.
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Paradigm: not the snob's choice

Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    Let's see if we can collectively choose the top 10 speaker manufacturers based on a few key elements. Pick what you feel are the top 10 based on the following:
    Paradigm is a maker that offers a wide range of high quality products and deserves to be in the top ten based on objective criteria. Certainly their Studio line offers high performance at (relatively) low cost. They also have a wide distribution, at least in North America and a competitive warranty.

Check out reviews like this one from Soundstage ...
    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/p...udio100_v3.htm
    Also, follow the link to the NRC measurements page.

Their products are very stylist within the current, narrow baffle trend. Their top, Signature line is exceedingly handsome. And while Signature models do expensive compared the Studio line, they are definitely compenditive in sound and construction quality with boutique brands in their price range.

Magneplanar: choice for classical & jazz

Dipole planar speakers don't work for everyone but they are a "must" for consideration by classical and jazz lovers.

Their style is "classic" too: simply a fabric covered panel with few embelishments. And Magnepan has offered sound warranties and service over many years.

The value of any of their models is great, but especially that of their lower priced models: MMG, MG 12, and most of all the MG 1.6QR. The performance of latter at under US$2000 is nothing short of mind-numbing.

See the Soundstage review ...
    http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/magnepan_mg16qr.htm

In no particular order and only companies that are currently in business

1. B&W

2. Paradigm

3. Dali

4. Martin Logan

5. Wilson

6. Avalon

7. Von Schweikert

8. JM Lab

9. Sonus Faber

10. Usher

List is subject to change hourly

I am wondering if we should put these into 3 cost categories...under 1-10K, 11-50k, and above 50k.

No one has brought up KEF's?
    Totems?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I dont see the point in adding Paradigm or B&W to the list.(In absolut terms) There are many much better speakers from Totem, Kef, Ayon, Alon, Avalon, Perigee, Apogee (service is no problem), Magnepan, Final, Acoustat, Usher and many more.....

The cat. of price will only bring trouble in this forum. But yes, priceclass is very important.

Maybe some could start some poles in the 1K to 5K, 5K to 10K and 10K to 30K and 30K and over....

I would suggest we stick to the general budget area of this forum and stick with brands from 1K to 5K and therby i remove Perigee, Apogee, Ayon, Alon and Avalon from the list.

Usher ahead of Magnepan? Oh please

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    In no particular order and only companies that are currently in business

1. B&W
    2. Paradigm
    3. Dali
    4. Martin Logan
    5. Wilson
    6. Avalon
    7. Von Schweikert
    8. JM Lab
    9. Sonus Faber
    10. Usher

List is subject to change hourly
    That's hard to swallow. Please explain!

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    That's hard to swallow. Please explain!
    Design/Style is part of the criteria and let's be honest, there ain't a whole lotta style in cloth covered monoliths that sit in the middle of the room. I didn't say I didn't like 'em, just picked 10 that met the criteria. In fact, I would probably buy Maggies over SF's, just because the Sonus sound is a little too colored and laid back for my taste.

You should see the Apogee live, they have a timeless design and style! :-) The Maggies are a bit booring after a while, but the Martin Logans look cool too. I only like the none hybrid ones tough

Well ... OK

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Design/Style is part of the criteria and let's be honest, there ain't a whole lotta style in cloth covered monoliths that sit in the middle of the room. I didn't say I didn't like 'em, just picked 10 that met the criteria. In fact, I would probably buy Maggies over SF's, just because the Sonus sound is a little too colored and laid back for my taste.
    But personnally I find that classic simplicity much more attractive many supposedly high-styled offerings.

I am surprised no-one chose GRYPHON. I have heard all three of their loudspeakers: The Trident, Poseidon, and Cantata and it's an experience unlike any other. First, they look and are ...massive, not just in size, but in sound. They have incredible control, yet are classy and refined. When I saw them on display at a show...everyone looked on with envious eyes, especially when they saw the pricetag. Can you believe that they ship these suckers in huge crates? I forgot how much the shipping weight was ...it was rediculous..sad to think that someone pays as much in shipping on these than some people spend on their speakers alone. Reality check ..please.

Well i think the reality check is not needed, i spend more on a DAC than some on their entire system. Everyone to their own, but the Gryphons are really good and so are their Reference amps. My friend uses two of them on his DIVAs.

-Flo

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by emack27
    I second that.
    IMO the JM lab and SEAS drivers are "worth their weight in gold." So JM lab makes their own speakers (drivers in cabinets) and SEAS does not. You'll find SEAS drivers in high end speakers such as Snell and Tyler to name a few. I prefer the SEAS drivers over the JM lab drivers typically.
    Oh. One more speaker that utilizes the SEAS drivers is of course Krell.
    Well folks there ya have it. Hands down the best drivers for the money is JM lab and SEAS. So my vote goes for any well designed speaker that properly utilizes any one of these two excellent manufacturers.

FLo....are your friends reference amps from Gryphon really heavy? They look massive!

FLo....are your friends reference amps from Gryphon really heavy? They look massive!
    I havent lifted them yet but they seem to be like his Krell 250's and those are damn heavy when we caried them to my place.

-Flo

Flo...not sure if I asked you this elsewhere or not, but where did you get your Sphinx? I am wondering if I could get one in the U.S. ...i'd love to listen to that!

Flo...not sure if I asked you this elsewhere or not, but where did you get your Sphinx? I am wondering if I could get one in the U.S. ...i'd love to listen to that!
    They are handbuild in Holland and quite rare. I saw one on Audiogon go for 6K used. If your interested i can get you Sphinx Project 12 Monoblocks.

-Flo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information